• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout maybe the MVP again?

QuinlansMinion

I personally believe that MVP should be given to the best overall position player, but most of the baseball writers give it to the person with the best offensive stats on a team that happens to make the playoffs.

It's funny, Trout was actually a better offensive player that year I believe, MC just beat him in average, homers and rbis, which to most baseball writers might as well be the only three categories there are.

Youre right, that is pretty stupid.

You're being quite irrational for someone so hell bent on logic and reason.

Imagine if the Angels were in last place. Mike Trout, in this scenario, wouldn't deserve the MVP award. because the team is in last place with him, and would probably be in last without him which means he's replaceable. The MVP is awarded to the one player who is irreplaceable. There's a reason why MVPs don't typically come from last place teams.

Edited by failos

You're being quite irrational for someone so hell bent on logic and reason.

Imagine if the Angels were in last place. Mike Trout, in this scenario, wouldn't deserve the MVP award. because the team is in last place with him, and would probably be in last without him which means he's replaceable. The MVP is awarded to the one player who is irreplaceable. There's a reason why MVPs don't typically come from last place teams.

Again, not even gonna bother with this.

Just read my original post, thanks.

The criteria for mvp changes every year.  It's ridiculously momentum based.  

The baseball awards system is so all over the place and inconsistent.  

They have an award for the best pitcher yet the mvp can be either a pitcher or hitter.  The pitching award is usually given to the guy with the best statistical season.  Why don't they have an award for the best offensive player?  

It seems as if a player is head and shoulders above every other in any given year then they will get it regardless of playoffs.  Like Harper will this year and Arod in 2003.  Whereas if two players put up numbers that can be argued as to whose are better, the tie breaker goes to the guy on the better team.  

If the halos make the playoffs, Trout should get it.  He probably won't unless he puts up amazing numbers over the last 7 games, but whatever.  

There is no trying to figure it out.

Donaldson's team has the best record in the American League, while Trout's spent much of the season scuffling to stay above .500.

The Jays have 5 players in the top 40 for AL bWAR...  The Angels have Trout.   The Jays have 6 players that rank ahead of the second best WAR on the Angels -- Calhoun, and 7 position players in the top 50.   Then just for giggles the Jays have two pitchers that would also rank ahead of Calhoun.

So, the team with the best record in the AL has 8 players with a higher bWAR than the Angels second best player -- but you're right.....  Donaldson has been more valuable.

Edited by Inside Pitch

If we make the playoffs, Trout wins the MVP, Why? Because without Trout, the Angels are nowhere near the playoffs. With Donaldson, the Jays are still in first place. Especially following the other acquistions at the trade deadline. And let's face it, Trout is just a more popular player. Besides, Trout does Subway commercials.

The Jays have 5 players in the top 40 for AL bWAR...  The Angels have Trout.   The Jays have 6 players that rank ahead of the second best WAR on the Angels -- Calhoun, and 7 position players in the top 50.   Then just for giggles the Jays have two pitchers that would also rank ahead of Calhoun.

So, the team with the best record in the AL has 8 players with a higher bWAR than the Angels second best player -- but you're right.....  Donaldson has been more valuable.

Voters don't look at any of this though

They'll likely just see that Donaldson has slightly better stats(mainly RBI and runs....team dependent stats of course) and they'll probably prop him up a bit because of the Jays 2nd half surge. Donaldson is a worthy MVP candidate but I think the race really should be neck and neck. I have no belief that it will end up being close though and I think Donaldson ends up winning it handily

How many RBIs would Trout have if you stuck him in the 3 slot in Toronto's lineup? I'm sure there's a calculator out there for this. 

Well, you can compare the number of PA's with men on base....  Donaldson had 295 and he posted a .996 OPS in those situations.  Trout 258, and 1.013...  Looking at situations with RISP; Donaldson had 172 putting up a 1.055.  Trout had 122 and he put up a 1.222 OPS.

So basically, Donaldson had roughly 40-50 more plate appearances where he could have driven in a baserunner.  Donaldson has had a hell of a year.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Voters don't look at any of this though

They'll likely just see that Donaldson has slightly better stats(mainly RBI and runs....team dependent stats of course) and they'll probably prop him up a bit because of the Jays 2nd half surge. Donaldson is a worthy MVP candidate but I think the race really should be neck and neck. I have no belief that it will end up being close though and I think Donaldson ends up winning it handily

Yeah, I was just responding to the whole "he plays for the team with the best record in the AL" malarky...  

Donaldson's had a hell of a year.  I'd have less of an issue with Trout losing to him than either the Miggy seasons.  Donaldson can play defense, doesn't clog the bases up and he's been a tremendous presence in the middle of the Jays order.  But going off what they typical vote for -- Donaldson's big lead in RBI and the Jays second half rise which coincided with Donaldson's best month of the season probably makes him the front-runner for AL MVP.

I don't get the perception that if Trout doesn't get the MVP he was "robbed", either. 

Hes carrying a team with a negative run differential to the playoffs.  Hes leading the league in OPS, OPS+, and WAR, with absolutely no help around him, and a guy with an OBP under .300 hitting behind him.  He has 40 home runs playing in a pitchers park.  Hes saved many games with his glove.  

Theres no question who the MVP is.  Its the idiots who favor RBI and team win totals who think Donaldson should win it.