• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Fixing the Lineup for Next Year

Angelsjunky

I like how people keep making this assumption every year.

Even if he doesn't end up hitting for a little more power/average, he's still a 5-6 WAR player year in and year out right now. That makes him a top 15 position player in the major leagues.

Me too. His career ops+ is 113 which is exactly where he's at this year. How does that get you 25mil/per?

Averaging over 5 WAR per year through his first 6 seasons? 

He is a 26 year old free agent that has been above average throughout his career. He is a plus plus defender and can bat anywhere from 1-5 in a good line up. All that turns him into a $25 million player. If you gave him eight years you'd only have him through his age 33 season. Give him 9 years $189 and see if he bites. Make it front loaded if it makes you feel better. It won't affect the luxury tax, but it might affect how you feel about him as he starts to decline.

This.

Edited by Halos of Anaheim

You guys are delusional if you think Heyward or Upton will sign for anything less than $200MM. In fact both will likely sign 10 year contracts in the $250MM range. Their youth and pedigree will get them paid.

I think I can see Heyward getting 8 years and 200 million.  Upton, because of a slightly down year, I'd say he goes 6 years and 130 million.  Cespedes probably gets the same exact contract Josh Hamilton got from the Angels, though with different results. 

I think I can see Heyward getting 8 years and 200 million.  Upton, because of a slightly down year, I'd say he goes 6 years and 130 million.  Cespedes probably gets the same exact contract Josh Hamilton got from the Angels, though with different results. 

If Cespedes only gets that, it better be with us.  I'd do that for him in a heartbeat.  

It would be crazy to have over 50mil in payroll allocated to one position for the next two year though.  yeesh.  

Scotty you need to go back and review offseason prices for free agents with all due respect. Heyward and Upton both will get 8+ year contracts at $25MM hands down. Cespedes will likely pull in 7 year contract for North of $150MM (my guess is $160MM-$170MM). How often do young star players like Upton and Heyward hit the market? It's rare and it will command a premium.

Edited by ettin

Scotty you need to go back and review offseason prices for free agents with all due respect. Heyward and Upton both will get 8+ year contracts at $25MM hands down. Cespedes will likely pull in 7 year contract for North of $150MM (my guess is $160MM-$170MM). How often do young star players like Upton and Heyward hit the market? It's rare and it will command a premium.

Ettin, with all due respect....you're probably right lol.

I dunno, I just think that last year we saw the beginning of a trend that may continue, teams shying away from offering astronomical contracts.  But I suppose Heyward's the type of player that'll put that to the test.  I have every reason to believe you're probably right though.