• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Remember what I said

Lou E Ville

There's a pile of 'what if' moments you look at from every season. If Street didn't have those epic meltdowns against Houston and KC we'd be in a much stronger position. Or if we hadn't taken it from behind against crappy teams like the Giants or White Sox. Or if we could actually hit.

Street has two bad blown saves this year. I can think of two games we one that we shouldn't have won. We had a game against KC where we scored a bunch of runs against their bullpen in the 8th and 9th. We also scored 3 runs with two outs in the bottom of the 9th to win against Cleveland. So since baseball is stupid stuff like that cancels each other out.

Thank you. These same people who aren't grasping this would bitch if Scioscia started a AAA pitcher in the final series instead of Richards. "He cost us a playoff spot!"

Maybe you should go back and look at the Angels history with interleague play before making dumb statements about how unfair it is to them to face the Dodgers. Until three years ago the Dodgers and the NL were the Angels bitch, a launching pad for their season. Playing their own division, even the weak AL central was harder than any opponent they faced in the NL.

It has been a level playing field for all teams that play NL/AL opponents and if you haven't the talent to beat them then that is more of a statement of what your teams abilities are and worthiness to move on to a playoff.

It's all competition. So don't bitch about how unfair it is the Angels were tested against a higher level than other teams, it was the Angels responsibility to beat all comers, not just arrange the schedule so it is an easy ride.

I don't understand the backlash here.

* The Angels have to face the Dodgers six times a year. Every year. Everything else on their schedule is rotated as fairly as possible to make the schedules even. Normally, this isn't THAT big of a deal. Except when the Dodgers throw two of the best five starters in the game at you twice each. We split the other two games.

* Minnesota plays Milwaukee six times every year. Houston and Texas trade off between Colorado and Arizona every year. We get the Dodgers and the A's get the Giants. How is that fair?

We're talking eight figure payrolls here (seven for some). You would think with the money these teams are worth that MLB would fix this. I guarantee you if the Yankees lost six games to the Mets this year (or vice versa) and missed the playoffs by one game this would get fixed.  

Look at the NFL schedule. You play your division (six games), you rotate a division in your conference (four games), a division from the other conference (four games), and then you play the two other teams in your conference that finished the same place you did. All 32 teams have the same formula. You don't have the Steelers facing the Eagles every year and then you piecemeal the rest of the schedule from there.

Yes, the Angels blew a lot of games this year to crappy teams. So what? So did the Twins. So did the Astros. So did the Rangers. None of those teams had to battle the off the field issues we faced this year.

Life isn't fair sometimes.

Suck it up, you sound like a whiner.

Both the Angels and Rangers have faced Felix Hernandez 5 times this season.  He's 3-1 v. Angels.  5-0 v. Rangers.

Houston has only faced him once all season.  But in that one game the Astros hung 8 runs on him in 1 inning.

Therefore if you're an Angels or Rangers fan you should probably be ecstatic that Houston only had the luxury of facing him once, right?  

You know what is not fair....all the times we faced Keuchel or when Sonny Gray went up against Shoemaker or when Trout struck out looking or when we sucked and had a huge losing streak or when (insert your whine here).

Life is....facing Greinke or Kershaw four times will not make or break a season...for every ace you face, you face a #5 or a #6 pitcher. 

You can't complain about who you face in your own division. You can't really complain about who you face in your own league. But when you get stuck with one of the winningest franchises for six games every year while other teams get Milwaukee, Arizona, Colorado, etc IT CAN MEAN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MAKING AND NOT MAKING THE PLAYOFFS.

Baseball is a cruel enough sport without the schedule makers screwing you over.

We have the same interleague mark as the Twins...8-12. Now consider that we went 0-4 against Greinke and Kershaw. If Minnesota gets that last spot over us by one game, there is your cause.

If we are tied for the last spot on the last day and lose out on a bad call, every one of you would be on here saying that ump cost us a playoff spot. Not sure why you can't see that this is the same concept.

You can't complain about who you face in your own division. You can't really complain about who you face in your own league. But when you get stuck with one of the winningest franchises for six games every year while other teams get Milwaukee, Arizona, Colorado, etc IT CAN MEAN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MAKING AND NOT MAKING THE PLAYOFFS.

Baseball is a cruel enough sport without the schedule makers screwing you over.

We have the same interleague mark as the Twins...8-12. Now consider that we went 0-4 against Greinke and Kershaw. If Minnesota gets that last spot over us by one game, there is your cause.

If we are tied for the last spot on the last day and lose out on a bad call, every one of you would be on here saying that ump cost us a playoff spot. Not sure why you can't see that this is the same concept.

Stop generalizing. I wouldnt complain that something cost us a playoff spot. This team runs into a ton of u neccessary outs, they make stupid mistakes on a daily basis that you dont see other teams do. They never make adjustments, and let bad teams sweep them without much of a fight. For you to sit here and say that 2 games cost us a playoff spot, when the Rangers and Astros both played the same team, is LAUGHABLE.

Stop generalizing. I wouldnt complain that something cost us a playoff spot. This team runs into a ton of u neccessary outs, they make stupid mistakes on a daily basis that you dont see other teams do. They never make adjustments, and let bad teams sweep them without much of a fight. For you to sit here and say that 2 games cost us a playoff spot, when the Rangers and Astros both played the same team, is LAUGHABLE.

This season the hometown rivalry issue is less of a big deal *for the Angels* than it has been in prior years because the AL West happens to be playing the NL West, so the Angels only have 2-3 more games against the Dodgers instead of more like 4-6 more than our division rivals as in past years.

I'm not complaining about the concept because it's unfair to the Angels in particualr though, I'm opposed to highly unbalanced schedules in general -- even if such schedules were to the Angels advantage (in years where we were chasing the A's and the Dodgers were run by McCourt, we did benefit a little).

Edited by ScottLux

I haven't read through this whole thread.  I just want to point out that the Angels averaged more than 3 runs a game in games against Kershaw and Grienke this year.  The last two games against them they scored 4 and 5 runs.  So its not like the Angels just got shut down and had no chance.  Just like they have all year, they failed to get both their offense and pitching to click at the same time.  I honestly don't think this has factored in at all.  The only thing you can blame is their poor overall performance as a team.  Featherston blew the last game against Grienke with poor defense.  Featherston has also had some very random bad luck.  The ball getting stuck in the glove was a fluke and should have ended the game.  Earlier in the season against the Giants they were rallying back in the 9th when what would have been a single hit Featherston for the final out of the game.  Once again a fluke that ended a game they could have possibly won.  Their hitting w/RISP has been atrocious.  I can't count how many times they could have won games if they were able to do simple things like hit a sac fly.  To put this on any one situation is ridiculous.  I'm sure you can find a case where the Astros or Rangers had to face some terrible pitcher that just had a really great game that day.  Is it fair to them they had to face him on a good day? It is what it is. The reality is that the Angels played so poorly they put themselves in that position.  

If they were at 90+ wins right now and Texas was too and they were fighting for the division title I could see bringing this up.  It would makes sense if they had played great baseball the rest of the year and so you could bring it all down to a few games like that.  But there were soooo many games they blew that this is just a weak attempt to find a scapegoat for why the Angels are in the position they are in right now.  

Edited by AngelsFanSince86

You have some ridiculous opinions about exhibition games or about playoff series that aren't seven games don't count in your eyes.

What's ridiculous about the view that the MLB schedule should be closer to balanced, that the wild card game should be a best of three, and that all rounds of the playoffs should be best of seven like basketball and hockey (that both play far fewer regular season games than baseball)?