• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OBP

Oz27

We have the lowest BABIP and the second lowest LD%.  

we are middle of the pack swinging outside the zone.  we have the fourth highest zone contact %.  

our BB rate is middle to lower 3rd.  Same with our k rate.  

we seen the 4th lowest number of fastballs.  

In terms of pitch values, we are middle of the pack for fastballs and 3rd worst in each of slider, curveball and changeups.  

2nd lowest p/pa in the AL.  lower third for number of PA behind in the count.  2nd highest k looking rate.  

So what does all of this tell us?

well, we don't see many pitches or get deep into counts.  we whiff looking a lot.  When we hit the ball we make weak contact.  we see tons of breaking stuff and we are bad at hitting it but it appears we swing anyway.  

to me, this is philosophy and scouting.  we swing at pitchers pitches.  we get a steady diet of breaking ball because we offer at them.  we try to put the ball in play at the expense of trying to hit it hard.  

'make contact and good things will happen'  

'shorten up and protect'

oh well.  good times.  

I think FINALLY, consensus is that a new manager is a necessity, if this group of players is to be fashioned into something resembling a major league lineup, a shot of attitude needs to be injected.

The manager and coaching staff is a great place to get that started.

I respect your zeal on this issue Homebrewer, but I can't see it happening.  First of all 15-20 (or however many happen to have the time to post messages here daily) people on a message board doesn't constitute a consensus.  Scioscia and the coaching staff are way too respected by Arte and his staff.  As I've said before, it might help to some degree to replace the entire group, and then again it may not depending on just who the replacements are.  Scioscia has been in place for so long, and is so well respected by his players, and many other professionals in the sport that it would be seen in many quarters to be a further step backwards for the organization.  I don't believe Arte is up for the risk, and if he feels that Scioscia should go he would engineer it in advance, kind of similar to the Bobby Cox situation.  They would announce it well in advance, perhaps a full year in advance, and let him step aside gracefully because they feel that he's earned that respect.  Any of the rumored GM candidates would want Scioscia to stay in place for a year anyway, mostly because he has such a wealth of information about the entire organization.  I'm sure they will address this issue in the interviews, all of the candidates will want to know where Arte stands on Scioscia, and the degree of flexibility they might have with changing the coaching staff.

I am not saying this because I personally feel it is the best decision for the organization, I am saying this because this is what I believe how this ownership group will approach this issue.  I haven't seen any hint of a possible manager replacement, or even any rumor of it. If you feel that the fans have some say in this matter then you need to understand where fans across a broad spectrum of fans stand on this issue, not just on this message board.  You might especially want to understand the fans who buy season tickets, and attend the majority of the games stand on this issue.  I think Arte would value their input far above what he might happen to read on message boards.  I think he would also value the input of respected professionals in the sport tell him from around the league.  And I also think he might value what the players tell him about Scioscia and the coaching staff.

I personally don't care if they replace Scioscia or not, I do think it's one of the least significant of the problems the organization is facing.  I think there are a lot of qualified managerial candidates around, but if we don't address some of the fundamental issues in the baseball operations department it won't matter at all who the manager actually is.  A better place to get started is to hire a really good GM, and let him fix these weaknesses.

Edited by tomsred

We have the lowest BABIP and the second lowest LD%.

we are middle of the pack swinging outside the zone. we have the fourth highest zone contact %.

our BB rate is middle to lower 3rd. Same with our k rate.

we seen the 4th lowest number of fastballs.

In terms of pitch values, we are middle of the pack for fastballs and 3rd worst in each of slider, curveball and changeups.

2nd lowest p/pa in the AL. lower third for number of PA behind in the count. 2nd highest k looking rate.

So what does all of this tell us?

well, we don't see many pitches or get deep into counts. we whiff looking a lot. When we hit the ball we make weak contact. we see tons of breaking stuff and we are bad at hitting it but it appears we swing anyway.

to me, this is philosophy and scouting. we swing at pitchers pitches. we get a steady diet of breaking ball because we offer at them. we try to put the ball in play at the expense of trying to hit it hard.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Thanks for all this Doc, it is about what I expected to see.

And for those of you who think I blame Scioscia personally for ALL of this, I don't.

But I do think that the overall mindset and philosophy does come down from Scioscia, since he personally chose his coaching staff, and he and his coaching staff are the communicators between the scouting dept and the players.

There is an obvious breakdown in communication, and the team's overall offensive philosophy sucks.

I don't think it's so much a breakdown in communication as it is a poor match of what player talent we have to the organization's overall offensive philosophy.  If the philosophy includes aggressiveness on the bases for example, then get some players with real speed.  The fastest guy on this team is probably Trout, and he's partly in a run producing position because we have so few true run producers; we don't hit that well with runners in scoring position.  A couple of guys with threatening speed and decent on base percentages would probably help a great deal, your going to feed Trout, Calhoun, Murphy, and Pujols more fastballs too.  I think there is a lot of offensive philosophies that could work, but this is the chosen one for this organization, and I think they've said that they are hiring a GM who agrees and echos that philosophy.  Doc said it earlier, bring in talent to support what that philosophy is, don't try to mix, match and patch together a team just because a warm body is available to you.

Get a GM, get a plan, stick to the plan.  They have a beginning in that they have a philosophy anyway, that's something that not all teams seem to have.  Keeping GM's and sticking to a plan seems to be a hard one for this ownership group.  It takes some restraint, and lot's of patience.  I liked Scioscia's statement about Aybar trying to take third in Houston on Monday (in the first inning).  He said that sometimes Eric's heart gets in the way of proper thinking, that that moment was not a good time to try that (that's paraphrased, not the exact words).  I think the same can be said of Arte and his staff, their hearts have gotten ahead of their brains a number of times, and it's been costly. 

Speed on the bases is one thing, getting on base is another.

When a team see's few pitches and can't work a count, it helps the other team out. Getting into bullpens early in games helps a team win series, and that's what it's all about.

Where are you going to insert speed into this lineup if you find some?

We aren't going to change a whole lot next season except for LF.

You can draft some speed, but by the time that speed is ready for the Major Team, Scioscia is going to be gone.

I am of the opinion that you have to play a style that your players fit, not find players to fit a manager's style.

Those are the OBPs, coming into today, of this lineup. Is it any wonder that we suck? Only two hitters on our entire roster have an OBP above .320, Trout and Jett Bandy (who has two plate appearances). There are 14 hitters on our roster with an OBP below .300. Meanwhile, 14 clubs have a team OBP above .320 and six of those are NL teams. Don't ever underestimate how truly awful this offense actually is.

And yet, we're still in the playoff hunt.

That's why I love this game.

There is no number that can measure heart and the will to win.

Go Halos!!

I don't think it's so much a breakdown in communication as it is a poor match of what player talent we have to the organization's overall offensive philosophy.  If the philosophy includes aggressiveness on the bases for example, then get some players with real speed.  The fastest guy on this team is probably Trout, and he's partly in a run producing position because we have so few true run producers; we don't hit that well with runners in scoring position.  A couple of guys with threatening speed and decent on base percentages would probably help a great deal, your going to feed Trout, Calhoun, Murphy, and Pujols more fastballs too.  I think there is a lot of offensive philosophies that could work, but this is the chosen one for this organization, and I think they've said that they are hiring a GM who agrees and echos that philosophy.  Doc said it earlier, bring in talent to support what that philosophy is, don't try to mix, match and patch together a team just because a warm body is available to you.

Get a GM, get a plan, stick to the plan.  They have a beginning in that they have a philosophy anyway, that's something that not all teams seem to have.  Keeping GM's and sticking to a plan seems to be a hard one for this ownership group.  It takes some restraint, and lot's of patience.  I liked Scioscia's statement about Aybar trying to take third in Houston on Monday (in the first inning).  He said that sometimes Eric's heart gets in the way of proper thinking, that that moment was not a good time to try that (that's paraphrased, not the exact words).  I think the same can be said of Arte and his staff, their hearts have gotten ahead of their brains a number of times, and it's been costly. 

The Bourjos/Grichuk trade really hurt the Angels. Grichuk in left would have been light years better than the merry go round of clowns we saw this season. OF of Grichuk/Trout/Calhoun to start, then later in the game after pinch running for guys like Cron, shuffle that to Grichuk/Trout/Bourjos with Calhoun at 1B.