• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Joyce

OregonLAA

As an outspoken Dipoto defender, this was easily his worst move. We could have used Jepsen in a big way and literally anyone in baseball is better than him at this point. He has completely checked out and I have no idea why the hell Scioscia is still putting him in games. The Dipoto/Scioscia combo might be the worst the franchise has seen.

As an outspoken Dipoto defender, this was easily his worst move. We could have used Jepsen in a big way and literally anyone in baseball is better than him at this point. He has completely checked out and I have no idea why the hell Scioscia is still putting him in games. The Dipoto/Scioscia combo might be the worst the franchise has seen.

While I agree for the most part, nobody could have possibly come close to predicting a career .250/.340/.783 guy with OPS+ of 118 would suddenly become a .175/.273/.566 guy with OPS+ of 62.  I think its funny everyone acts like they thought it was a bad move to begin with when the majority of people thought the only reason it was a weird move is because Hamilton still figured into the equation.  See for yourself:

http://www.angelswin-forum.com/forums/topic/18158-jepsen-traded-to-tb-for-matt-joyce/page-2

Everyone thought it was solid in terms of what was given up, but thought it was weird because of how much OF depth we have...lol...

Jepsen sucked. Jepsen was great. Jepsen was average. Jepsen sucked. Jepsen was great. Jepsen was average.

How many years was he in the org? Jepsen could be useful but was also inconsistent throughout his time here. With how awful Joyce has been and the good season Jepsen is having, I think we forget some things.

While I agree for the most part, nobody could have possibly come close to predicting a career .250/.340/.783 guy with OPS+ of 118 would suddenly become a .175/.273/.566 guy with OPS+ of 62. 

It amazes me how many people rag on Dipoto for Joyce's lack of production, when these are historic lows for him. No one could have anticipated this precipitous a drop in production.

While I agree for the most part, nobody could have possibly come close to predicting a career .250/.340/.783 guy with OPS+ of 118 would suddenly become a .175/.273/.566 guy with OPS+ of 62.

I could have. It seems as though every single effing position player we sign to come play for us performs below their career numbers. It's a friggin stigma that has plagued this franchise since I can remember. Vlad and Hunter are the only exceptions that stand out.

I hated Jepsen for years because it seemed like he always blew it, until basically last season. The guy really seemed to get into the groove of his career. He was throwing harder. He had more ferocity out there on the mound. For some reason the Angels play and hold onto guys so long while they stink, then the second they begin to get comfortable and improve their game, they dump them.

Jepsen for Joyce was a dumb move. I think with Smith and Street around, he would have been a solid 7th inning guy.

Joyce is a freaking mystery.

He's not that old.

He has TONS of experience hitting against AL pitching.

He really wasn't hurt much until August, long after he was slumping horribly.

Does Angel Stadium now do that to many lefty hitters? 

Jepsen meanwhile has had back-to-back sub 3.00 ERA seasons.  

But no one knows if he can do it under the big pressure of a close September race or the post-season. 

He has pitched really well (23 inn, 0.96 WHIP, 1.91 ERA) for the Twins after the July trade, and they are hanging around in the 2nd WC spot chase.

Edited by Angel Oracle

You have to look at the moves based on what was known at the time.

The worst move was Grichuk and Bourjos for Freese and Salas. Salas was known to be horrible and Freese was known to be in decline whereas Grichuk was once of our best prospects, and Bourjos was our only bench player with any kind of speed for late game pinch running.

The second worst move was Joe Blanton. Paying 8.5M/year for Blanton was universally mocked at the time to the point where I assumed Dipoto must have had some genius insight that Blanton was set to have a career year for some reason.