• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout/Vlad

OregonLAA

If the Angels want to get in Trout needs to go all Vlad on us and go crazy these last couple weeks. If he does, I guarantee we get in. I almost posted this two nights ago then he went off last night. We can overcome anyone struggling off Trout starts playing like Trout. And maybe as a side, he will steal back the MVP. Represent number 27!

If Pujols wants to play, Pujols will play.

This is Mike Scioscia we are talking about, you know.

On top of MS's proclivity to play veterans,  Pujols is part owner of the team, so Scioscia will do what Pujols wants, never mind what might be best for the organization, the team, and the fans.

It was awesome being at the game last night! Trout is ridiculous!! I miss being able to see him in person any time I want at Angels Stadium, but going to these 4 games this weekend, and him performing like this, makes it not suck as much. Pure joy to watch. The old-timers I talk to out here swear he is Mickey Mantle reincarnated. They are in awe of his talent. I get asked how Trout is doing almost every day during baseball season. They are definitely envious.

If Pujols wants to play, Pujols will play.

This is Mike Scioscia we are talking about, you know.

On top of MS's proclivity to play veterans,  Pujols is part owner of the team, so Scioscia will do what Pujols wants, never mind what might be best for the organization, the team, and the fans.

^^^ This

As Moreno's partner Pujols is one of two people in the Angels organization with the authority to veto Scioscia. 

If the Angels want to get in Trout needs to go all Vlad on us and go crazy these last couple weeks. If he does, I guarantee we get in. I almost posted this two nights ago then he went off last night. We can overcome anyone struggling off Trout starts playing like Trout. And maybe as a side, he will steal back the MVP. Represent number 27!

Trout has significantly better numbers than Donaldson right now however the Angels aren't a lock for the playoffs.

If Toronto's bat boy does something to help the Blue Jays get into the playoffs, he is MVP.Seriously though,  we are talking about 23 years missing the playoffs. Donaldson's numbers are Trout like, unlike anyone on the Royals last year. 

Donaldson wins it unless Trout goes beast mode and we win the Wild Card game.

Even then, the east coast voters will go Donaldson.

Edited by DropOfAnaheim

That is not significant and how about traditional stats? You know the ones that voters actually care about? Not that I agree with them, but that's the reality. 

I see that as significant, especially when you factor in the parks and surfaces in which they play. As for the voters, they tend to weigh less important stats higher than they should but that is declining every year. 

The problem Trout has is that traditional stats make Donaldson look far better, where as the advanced metrics that include defense also make Donaldson look far better. Josh has been consistently considered one of the elite defensive third basemen in the game and Trout's defensive performance in CF has fallen off right along with his stolen bases. 

Advanced batting statistics alone are not going to win Trout the MVP.

Vlad made me so mad sometimes I wanted to tear out my hair. Chasing balls 3 feet outside with the bases loaded late. If he had had ANY plate discipline, ANY at all.... I really believe we could have won it all with some of those teams.

That said, I would take him over Pujols 100 out of 100 times.

The problem Trout has is that traditional stats make Donaldson look far better, where as the advanced metrics that include defense also make Donaldson look far better. Josh has been consistently considered one of the elite defensive third basemen in the game and Trout's defensive performance in CF has fallen off right along with his stolen bases.

Trout's defense has fallen off? Are we watching the same games? Don't even try to pull out the advanced metrics you can clearly see Trout is an outstanding defender just by watching.

Do you watch the games?

You're right, Donaldson appears better than he is with old school eyes looking at old school stats.

the comparison is interesting.  

Vlad and Trout are such different hitters.  

Trout is actually quite different than he was early in his career.  

During that Vlad streak of 2004, he had 9hrs, 7bbs and 3k in a 15 game stretch.  His ops was 1.59

A Trout hot streak usually means a ton of walks. Like in 2013 where he walked 61 times in his last 254 pa.  But his power plays up more now.  I think Molitor is going to walk him a ton the rest of the series.  

If I'm a manager right now, I am telling my entire staff to make someone else in the lineup beat you.   

Albert is pretty much worthless right now.  He's got -0.4 war for the second half.  

Do you watch the games?

fWAR "DEF" 

2011   +2.4  (40 games)

2012   +13

2013   +3.3  (left field)

2014   -8.4

2015   +1.5

I'm not saying he's been bad, but the eye test tells me hasn't been quite as good as his early performance and the stats back that up. I would describe his early performance as 'elite' and his more recent performance as 'good.' 

He has a 1.000 fielding percentage and has 5 assists—all career bests for him. Your eye is wrong.

fWAR "DEF" 

2011   +2.4  (40 games)

2012   +13

2013   +3.3  (left field)

2014   -8.4

2015   +1.5

I'm not saying he's been bad, but the eye test tells me hasn't been quite as good as his early performance and the stats back that up. I would describe his early performance as 'elite' and his more recent performance as 'good.'

Because his fielding percentage means anything... come on. I'm open to some arguments that his defense hasn't taken any decline but you gotta at least try.

His dWAR is markedly better than last year. Besides, the burden of proof is on you and you haven't provided a lick of proof to substantiate your claims. Is your "eye test" an advanced defensive metric now?