• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Has a reporter ever asked Scioscia why he continues to bat Pujols 3rd or 4th?

beatlesrule

Wait, there are people actually sticking up for Pujols? Calling my question a stupid one?  He is hitting cleanup tonight.  Are you simply sticking up for Scioscia or do you generally think a guy that is one of the worst hitters with RISP and is only hitting .246 on the season should be hitting cleanup even when there are better options?  Is there anyone here that thinks Pujols has been a good player and signing for the Angels?

RISP and BA are your measuring sticks to determine batters best suited for the 3/4 spots?

Wait, there are people actually sticking up for Pujols? Calling my question a stupid one?  He is hitting cleanup tonight.  Are you simply sticking up for Scioscia or do you generally think a guy that is one of the worst hitters with RISP and is only hitting .246 on the season should be hitting cleanup even when there are better options?  Is there anyone here that thinks Pujols has been a good player and signing for the Angels?

Your question was, "Has a reporter ever asked Scioscia why he continues to bat Pujols 3rd or 4th?"

Answer: I have no clue if he has ever been asked that question.

Comment: I don't really care what reporters ask Scioscia, or any other manager for that matter. Managers don't work for reporters, and they will always answer most questions in the least controversial way. I'm sure Scioscia has his reasons for doing so, but he's not obligated to disclose answers to every decision he makes. So yeah, it's a stupid question.

If so, what did Scioscia say?  Has a reporter brought up his abysmal average with RISP and that fact that Pujols is hitting under .250 for the season?  If not, why haven't they?  Why isn't Pujols allowed to bat 5th and see if that can make him remember how to hit?  Does he maybe have language in his contract that states he can hit no lower than 4th for the duration of his contract?  Is this all on Stubborn Scioscia?  Do you think Scioscia is scared to bat Albert 5th or 6th? Are there too many politics involved because Pujols was really good 5 years ago?  There has got to be some kind of reason why a guy that is hitting .229 with RISP continues to hit 3rd in the lineup.  I tried to find the worst BA with RISP in all of MLB but I couldn't figure out how.  I have to assume Albert is towards the bottom of the list.

Among batters with at least 75 PA w/RISP, Pujols ranks 56th worst in BA, but 106th in OPS.  He is 8th worst amongst 1B with at least 75 PA w/RISP (29 of them).  Pujols is 4th on the Angels among regular starters in OPS w/RISP.  Freese actually does have a better OPS w/RISP (he ranks 2nd on the team).  The problem is you never know how the dynamic will change once you switch it up.  Freese's success could be a direct result of his spot in the lineup.  I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try it out, but this is definitely not the time for that.  Plus Freese is getting about as many PA/game as Pujols so he is still getting the opportunities.  The reality is that Pujols is at his worst right now and it is still better than the vast majority of the team.  Its frustrating, but I don't see what there is to do about it.  And you have to think that, whether or not Pujols takes advantage of it, his presence messes with at least some of the younger pitchers heads if not others.  Maybe Pujols can't capitalize, but others around him in the lineup can.  Point being, Pujols is where he is because it makes sense.  It speaks more to the Angels as a whole than it does to the decision to place him in the #3 spot.

Interesting side note:

-Dan Robertson is the #4 guy with RISP on the Angels if you include smaller sample sizes.  Not that I think he should be a middle of the order guy, but I would have liked to see him continue to play LF.  Maybe get one of DeJesus/Murphy/Victorino, but not all 3.  Completely unnecessary.  Look at this:

-The three headed joke that plays LF for the Angels has provided a -1.2 combined WAR.  Yes, every single player has produced a negative WAR value as an Angel.  Meanwhile, in 32 games, Dan Robertson posted a 0.5 WAR (on pace for 2.5-3 WAR which would be starter level player).  Would have been nice to just get Murphy for the RHP.  Then we would have Robertson and Cowgill as starters for LHP's or as late innings replacements (both are better defenders than anyone else the Angels have).

Wait, there are people actually sticking up for Pujols? Calling my question a stupid one? He is hitting cleanup tonight. Are you simply sticking up for Scioscia or do you generally think a guy that is one of the worst hitters with RISP and is only hitting .246 on the season should be hitting cleanup even when there are better options? Is there anyone here that thinks Pujols has been a good player and signing for the Angels?

There isn't better options ... unless you consider Cron. I don't think Cron is a very reliable option just yet.

There isn't a manager in baseball who wouldn't pencil in Pujols behind Trout with our current group of players.

There isn't better options ... unless you consider Cron. I don't think Cron is a very reliable option just yet.

There isn't a manager in baseball who wouldn't pencil in Pujols behind Trout with our current group of players.

I can't stand to even look at that old man Pujols play baseball; and I certainly don't like agreeing with Troll Daddy. 

But its not like we are holding back some other wonder talents by placing Pujols 4th in the order.

I can't stand to even look at that old man Pujols play baseball; and I certainly don't like agreeing with Troll Daddy.

But its not like we are holding back some other wonder talents by placing Pujols 4th in the order.

Exactly this. Complaining about this is kinda silly. We have a better chance of Albert running into a hot streak and driving in runs than we do of any of these other guys providing similar stats. This team if void of talent.