• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Josh Rutledge is batting .327

...in 49 AB. .379 OBP for the Red Sox.

Why did Stoneman trade him for Victorino ?

This organization lacks any depth at 2B/SS, so that was an incredibly stupid move. Rutledge is only 26, too, so why trade for an aging veteran with nothing to offer?

Edited by failos

This organization lacks any depth at 2B/SS, so that was an incredibly stupid move. Rutledge is only 26, too, so why trade for an aging veteran with nothing to offer?

Probably had something to do with him hitting .270 in salt lake where everyone else hits .350. That said i wouldn't have traded for Victorino.

You forgot to mention thats in less than 50 at bats, and in Fenway.....     You know what it's incredibly stupid?  To think a guy with a .429 BABIP and a K rate of nearly 30% is suddenly a good player and not the .260 hitter he's been his entire career despite playing in Coors Field.

You forgot to mention thats in less than 50 at bats, and in Fenway..... You know what it's incredibly stupid? To think a guy with a .429 BABIP and a K rate of nearly 30% is suddenly a good player and not the .260 hitter he's been his entire career despite playing in Coors Field.

Still better than Victorino. Plus Robertson isn't getting at bats and he was actually contributing.

You forgot to mention thats in less than 50 at bats, and in Fenway..... You know what it's incredibly stupid? To think a guy with a .429 BABIP and a K rate of nearly 30% is suddenly a good player and not the .260 hitter he's been his entire career despite playing in Coors Field.

You're missing the point. I know he's not that great of a hitter, but he would have been far more useful to the team than Victorino ever will. With Giavotella out, we're stuck with Feathherston and Grant Green—what happens if Aybar gets injured again?

Still better than Victorino. Plus Robertson isn't getting at bats and he was actually contributing.

If being better than Victorino is a value of worth then it won't be hard to replace him.    But it was that sort of thinking that led to the trade in the first place, they just wanted to try to get better than Joyce.  

Maybe it's time the team started thinking longer term again -- you know, actually be smart rather that make kneejerk or short sighted decisions.  Don't mistake my not bemoaning the loss of a scrub for a defense of the front office.  Thing is, I don't blame Stoneman for Teflon's mess.  I like that he avoiding screwing the next guy up by trading away actual assets.   I'd go so far as arguing that trading Rutledge was a sign of the team thinking long term.  But apparently -- that's incredibly stupid.

So, what's your prediction for Robertson moving forward?  You seem to have really bought into him.

You're missing the point. I know he's not that great of a hitter, but he would have been far more useful to the team than Victorino ever will. With Giavotella out, we're stuck with Feathherston and Grant Green—what happens if Aybar gets injured again?

I'll give you that he would at the very least be an option at 2B.   Were he to be forced to play SS then he likely gives up more offense than he is capable of producing.   Josh Rutledge wasn't going to make or break this team moving forward.

Edited by Inside Pitch

.....With Giavotella out, we're stuck with Feathherston and Grant Green—what happens if Aybar gets injured again?

Not a Stoneman apologist but, beyond not knowing that Victorino was going to suck, i think it's a little hard for him to have anticipated that Giavotella was going to get a strange disease....maybe he doesn't trade Rutledge if he had known that....

Not a Stoneman apologist but, beyond not knowing that Victorino was going to suck, i think it's a little hard for him to have anticipated that Giavotella was going to get a strange disease....maybe he doesn't trade Rutledge if he had known that....

Does Bill Stoneman really have to answer for anything?  I'm not asking you directly DMVol, I just wonder if people really think he's responsible for anything.   Does anyone have any clue what his marching orders were?  Was he asked to improve the team and get the team for the postseason?  Was he asked to just keep the team afloat?  Does anyone have any real idea what the franchise's game-plan was because I don't really put much weight into things they say publicly.

Unless a person knows what the mandate was, they really can't assign blame or give credit -- etc etc.. 

It amazes me that Teflon can leave the team in a lurch and have people clamoring to defend him and then the guy left to pick up the pieces has to answer for the abortion he inherited. 

...It amazes me that Teflon can leave the team in a lurch and have people clamoring to defend him and then the guy left to pick up the pieces has to answer for the abortion he inherited. 

That may be a little strong....but stepping in a month from the trade deadline, using staff appointed by the guy you replaced, wasn't exactly an ideal situation....and you're right, nobody knows what the marching orders were....but, if I had to guess, I would think Arte gave him a pretty wide berth to do what he thought he should and he probably got pretty good co-operation from Scioscia too...I think both genuinely respect Stoneman....I think the 3 trades were pretty much what Stoneman thought he could do, without wrecking the future, to improve the team...And this from a guy who was never a big Stoneman fan...I always thought he was too inflexible about trades...But I tend to think he probably did what he could, short of wrecking an already weak farm system...

Edited by DMVol

You going to the game, Chuck, or just dipping your head in the river until you get brain freeze then repeating every time the throbbing ends?

I know, tough decision.

Going tomorrow for sure. Maybe Wednesday depending on the first two games results. 

If we win the first two, I'll be there for the third. 

I can't believe anyone is complaining that we traded away Rutledge.  Than again, I have read dumber comments on this board.

Would you care if the Angels had traded Featherston for Victorino? Or Ryan Jackson? Or Conor Gillaspie? No? Then STFU about Josh ****ing Rutledge.

This may be the single stupidest thread I've ever seen on here. WHO THE **** CARES ABOUT JOSH RUTLEDGE?!?!

Did you forget to take your Thorazine dose today?

Well, we probably should have kept Rutledge over Featherston coming out of ST -- that would have sent Rule 5 guy Featherston back to Colorado which the Angels didn't want to do..

So once the Angels made that decision, the loser of the second base battle (Giavotella vs. Rutledge and others) coming out of ST was destined for AAA.........if every one may recall, Giavotella simply out-played everyone to win the second base job and, it could be argued (and has been) that the second base job was Rutledge's to lose coming out of ST -- AND HE DID.

Rutledge -- having some significant MLB time (well, Colorado) part of it in a starting role, played all of 2015 at AAA at SLC -- and then he got dealt to Boston for rental Victorino (we got VIctorino because Halos didn't have the farm system, money or players or all the above to trade for the one guy who could have really made a difference in the OF and on the team-- Cespedes -- so we got three rental  outfielders going for quantity not quality for the stretch run -- but Stoneman did Rutledge a real favor by dealing him to Boston --

Rutledge has gotten some significant playing time -- probably a platoon situation over there at Boston where guys were hurt -- and was starting pretty much every game for a period of time there.

But don't cry over dealing Rutledge or getting Victorino -- neither one was going to be a Halo in 2016.

and then he got dealt to Boston for rental Victorino (we got VIctorino because Halos didn't have the farm system, money or players or all the above to trade for the one guy who could have really made a difference in the OF and on the team-- Cespedes -- so we got three rental  outfielders going for quantity not quality for the stretch run -

I don't agree with this at all.  You don't think we had two pitchers of Michael Fulmer and Luis Cessa's caliber to trade?