• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels insist Scioscia won't be involved in GM search. Why that might be a mistake

Dollar Bill

Put aside your opinions of Scioscia, Moreno, Carpino, or any potential GM for a second.

What they're suggesting to the LA Times is a really bad organizational structure because nobody has a clearly defined role.  It's obvious in this case Scioscia wants upward control of the organization, but what if something happens (health, family-related, fired, etc) and Scioscia very suddenly departs as manager?  The Angels won't know how to rub two dimes together because they defer to Scioscia's influence for so many things. 

This arrangement is as ludicrous as the US Army collapsing because they relied on a Staff Sgt to control day-to-day operations from top to bottom.  That's essentially how the Angels are configured right now.

Q: How can you hire a GM and not let him pick his own manager?

A: If that GM is a puppet.

I love it when people answer their own questions.  Isn't it shorter, and more to the point, if you make it one sentence?  The only time I've seen it work really well is when people tell knock-knock jokes.

I also find it interesting that we have progressed to calling baseball people names ("puppet") before they are even hired.  AO is the best at it, his nicknames are kind of funny, like Morin = More Runs In).  I also thought I have learned all the good stuff by the time I left third grade, but now I realize that you are never too old to learn new stuff, like nutswinger, catorce, Poo holes, failos, etc..  When I was little I used to like puppets, and puppet shows, now they sound kind of nasty.

Edited by tomsred

I'm all for getting more athletic, and I completely agree that a lack of athleticism and station to station ball has really limited this team the last few years. THAT SAID, this is the way the game works right now. Athleticism is a young man's skill, and Dipoto was given a near barren farm system. He was forced into building this team through free agency and spare parts. This is the result.

Athletic teams like the Royals or the Astros, are the product of young players all coming up through the system at the same time. Our system at best is graduating the occasional role player. We cannot win without spending money, and we are only capable of flexing our financial muscles through free agency, with a pool of inherently older players. 

If we are going to get 'more athletic' we are going to need to rebuild, or magically become smarter than everyone else. 

I don't know of any other occupation in which a subordinate would have a say in the hiring of his future boss. It certainly doesn't happen in my agency.

At my workplace we are in process of hiring several senior candidates (in their 50s with 20+ years experience) to be project managers.

Several of the interviewers who have significant influence on hiring (hiring manager, a director, heavily weighs their opinion) are in their mid 20s and will be working on future projects with the candidate functioning as their boss,.

Edited by ScottLux