• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Surprise! Pujols legs hurting him again - May DH rest of season

bloodbrother

Headed for the worst year of his career offensively if you at every other stat beside homers and RBI.

He's an all or nothing player now, mostly nothing

That is true, but the fact remains he is not the worst first baseman in the game.  Probably somewhere in the middle of the pact all things considered.  However, we have players at some positions who are among the worst in the league, LF and 2B come to mind.  Those seem like much larger priorities than 1B, especially given that the options you have with Pujols are very limited, and the possibilities for improvement are easier to get at in LF and 2B.  I'm just trying to say that it makes sense to get to the long hanging fruit first.

Hey I get the disappointment with the season.  Why stress over things that aren't easy or likely to change.  Fix the broken parts that can more easily be changed.  This organization made a whole bunch of player selection mistakes the last 4-5 years, you can't undo that easily.

Edited by tomsred

That is true, but the fact remains he is not the worst first baseman in the game. Probably somewhere in the middle of the pact all things considered. However, we have players at some positions who are among the worst in the league, LF and 2B come to mind. Those seem like much larger priorities than 1B, especially given that the options you have with Pujols are very limited, and the possibilities for improvement are easier to get at in LF and 2B. I'm just trying to say that it makes sense to get to the long hanging fruit first.

Hey I get the disappointment with the season. Why stress over things that aren't easy or likely to change. Fix the broken parts that can more easily be changed. This organization made a whole bunch of player selection mistakes the last 4-5 years, you can't undo that easily.

the other selection mistakes don't compare to possibly the worst contract in mlb history that will continue to hamstring this franchise for the next 6 years.

Of course you believe that. You have a list of people that are the villains, most of them are the big money guys, brought in from outside the organization, and you assume the worst.

I wouldn't blame Pujols or consider him a villian for claiming what his contract entitles him to. I certainly wouldn't walk away from a hypothetical contract guaranteeing me over 200X my total annual compensation for several years. 

Edited by ScottLux

I think the Verlander and Cabrera deals will compete with the Albert deal as REALLY bad deals, when all is said and done.

The Cabrera deal was a real head scratcher because he was still under contract for at least 2 more seasons(I think).  He's still one of the best hitters in the game though. By the time he's as useless as Pujols, he'll only have 3-4 seasons left on the contract, not 6.

I'll put my money on Robinson Cano competing with Pujols for worst contract ever.

Edited by Poozy

There is no reason to expect Pujols to be anything other than a big hole in the MOTO.  OK, he's hit some HRs but is among the worst in MLB with RISP.  He meshes well with the other 10yr contract guy so don't expect him to hit anywhere but behind Trout.  This will only get worse as his age (whatever it is) and old/overweight guy ailments mount up. 

Fill up 2B, LF with quality players and you still got Pujols bogging down the MOTO.  Sure, there are no other decent options at this point, mostly because Arte went all in with Pujols & Hamilton.

They are coming up against some good teams with quality pitching where hitting with RISP will be priceless, something Pujols fails at 4 out of 5 times.   Anyone but Scioscia would have Trout hitting 3rd with the other 2 best hitters in front of him, because there just isn't much beyond that. 

There is no reason to expect Pujols to be anything other than a big hole in the MOTO.  OK, he's hit some HRs but is among the worst in MLB with RISP.  He meshes well with the other 10yr contract guy so don't expect him to hit anywhere but behind Trout.  This will only get worse as his age (whatever it is) and old/overweight guy ailments mount up. 

Fill up 2B, LF with quality players and you still got Pujols bogging down the MOTO.  Sure, there are no other decent options at this point, mostly because Arte went all in with Pujols & Hamilton.

They are coming up against some good teams with quality pitching where hitting with RISP will be priceless, something Pujols fails at 4 out of 5 times.   Anyone but Scioscia would have Trout hitting 3rd with the other 2 best hitters in front of him, because there just isn't much beyond that. 

Scioscia will continue to coddle Albert by letting him DH and bat behind Trout for however long Pujols says so. It's all about catching Reggie Jackson's 653 next.  

I can't criticize Albert. He cares, and he tries to tough things out. He tried to play with plantar fasciitis last year, and that is an agonizing condition.

Totally agree with this, I think it's an honest assessment of where Pujols stands in my mind.  The difference between Hamilton and Pujols is enormous with regard to attitude.  Pujols is a leader, Hamilton is not.

cabrerra hasnt started his monster contract yet though...

Theres a reason pujols has the 10 year service contract after hes an angel...ill leave it at that

Starry Eyed Arte

So Starry Eyed, just what has Ghost Pujols brought to this franchise? Other than giving it everything he's got, unlike Hackilton.

$240 million should get you a LOT more!

Edited by Angel Oracle

Was there some special rule for Babe Ruth in his final years where he didn't have to run to first base?

Ruth was just fine until the last few weeks of his career. He put up a .985 OPS at the age of 39. 

Although hitting below the Mendoza line early in his age 40 season, he blasted three home runs a few days before he retired. The third home run cleared the right-field roof at Forbes Field in Pittsburgh, the first ball ever to do that. That was #714.

Anyone thinking he will actually retire in a few years are kidding themselves, especially with how much money he's owed.  As long as he can still walk he's going to have the same ego and chip on his shoulder that he's always had.  I can't see Albert ever actually saying "you know what, I'm just not good enough to justify my contract or play at a high level anymore." It will always be "once my foot/leg/thigh/ACL/back/etc. heals, I'm going to be 100% again!"

Anyone thinking he will actually retire in a few years are kidding themselves, especially with how much money he's owed. As long as he can still walk he's going to have the same ego and chip on his shoulder that he's always had. I can't see Albert ever actually saying "you know what, I'm just not good enough to justify my contract or play at a high level anymore." It will always be "once my foot/leg/thigh/ACL/back/etc. heals, I'm going to be 100% again!"

I dont think Moreno would want Pujols to retire. He probably still thinks he nabbed the big latino star he always wanted.