• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Let's not fool ourselves....

Second Base

I don't really mind keeping Murphy around as a bench player-4th OF-pinch hitter.

He is the only one of Stonehead's group of used up OF's (I still don't believe he actually went out and got 3 of em, what a bonehead).. that still has a little tread left on his tires.

When are we getting a GM, anyhow?

Not to be argumentative, but does it matter? I wouldn't hire one until the off-season. With the Scioscia thing up in the air, I wouldn't do anything until we knew for sure what was going to happen with him. If what everyone on here assumes is true that it will be tough to get a qualified GM with Scioscia having so much power (which I think is overstated), I would wait it out to find out for sure if he is coming back.

They know if he is "coming back or not", so why not let the people that pay the salaries (us) know what's up?

Well there are two points here, one, Arte pays his salary, we just pay Arte and he isn't going anywhere. Two, we have no idea what happens in the last three weeks. My guess is we will be eliminated from the playoffs with less than a week to go. So if the Angels go on a run, that could change the decision on whether or not Scioscia comes back. If the Angels have a September like their August that could change the decision on whether or not Scioscia comes back. I tend to believe they know one way or another whether he comes back. If they do hire a guy like Klentak or Servais, even though they are the internal options, I think it lends to my belief that Scioscia is not coming back. If they go old school type, then it leads to believe Scioscia is probably coming back.

I agree Eric, but I also think that Scioscia may opt out. I realize he has the most power of any manager in baseball, based on tenure and his relationship with Arte, but there is something to be said about having a roster that can actually compete at the highest level. This roster, without major changes at 2nd base, LF and bullpen, just aren't a championship caliber team. My guess is Scioscia would have to opt in within a week or so of the end of the season, and those will all still be question marks. Also, Mike might want to be like a free agent, and be courted so to speak. Players do it, I don't know why managers wouldn't want to do it. He very well could have a date to opt back in that would still allow him to speak to other teams, but I kind of doubt it.

Well there are two points here, one, Arte pays his salary, we just pay Arte and he isn't going anywhere. Two, we have no idea what happens in the last three weeks. My guess is we will be eliminated from the playoffs with less than a week to go. So if the Angels go on a run, that could change the decision on whether or not Scioscia comes back. If the Angels have a September like their August that could change the decision on whether or not Scioscia comes back. I tend to believe they know one way or another whether he comes back. If they do hire a guy like Klentak or Servais, even though they are the internal options, I think it lends to my belief that Scioscia is not coming back. If they go old school type, then it leads to believe Scioscia is probably coming back.

I think they already know if he is coming back or not.  And I also don't think it makes a difference if Klentak is hired on not.  He has said before he gets along fine with Scioscia.  If they choose Sevais, then Scioscia may not be coming back.  If they choose an outside guy, I don't think he will do anything about Scioscia's return or replacement any time soon.  An outsider would likely focus on getting the best possible team together then decide who best to manage it.  The off season seems like a long time for us, but for a baseball operations staff they are pretty busy.

As far as the season is concerned, I don't think they are making any decisions based on the performance in September.  As far as an opt out for Scioscia is concerned, I think it's unlikely, but possible.

Edited by tomsred

Tom, I think you and I agree on a lot of things and I don't disagree with you here. My point about the rest of the season is if Scioscia is on the fence about opting out the rest of the season could help make that decision, or the simple fact that Arte seems to be the kind of guy that makes emotional decisions (most here feel as though he went out and signed Albert and Josh) out of emotions. Well if the Angels tank the rest of the season, that version of Arte could pull the plug on Scioscia.

Please don't waste money on Freese. Having two close to major league ready 3rd baseman leaves you with insurance in case on doesn't pan out. I'm pretty confident Cowart will be just what we need at the hot corner. I agree upgrading left field, second base, and the bullpen are the priorities. And whoever brought up the Solarte idea I really like that thought. He would significantly strengthen the bench and could be the utility infielder until Baldoquin can take over that spot. Also, if an Ace falls into their lap this offseason than go for it and trade Santiago. If not, we shouldn't blow all of our resources on one starting pitcher

The front end of the pen has a lot of work to be done.

Salas needs to be let go.   Then we have to hope that Morin's dropoff was temporary, and that Bedrosian finally figures it out.

Ramos struggles against righties but does well vs lefties.

Alvarez has some promise.

They need to add an experienced MI arm to bridge to Gott, Smith, and Street; and also hope that Smith's slump isn't Justin Speier like (permanent).

Edited by Angel Oracle

Wilson may end up being the odd man out with Skaggs reentering the picture.  If he is back, he'll need to not only outperform others, but he also might need to pitch his way out of a potential bullpen placement.  Featherston will almost certainly find himself back in AAA.  Salas is in his final year before free agency, and costs three times the league minimum.  Bringing him back would be awfully stupid.  

I think the org will want Featherstone in AAA playing everyday to better evaluate him going forward.