• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Freese

happybat4

Honestly, I think the Angels need to resign him.  He is solid at what he does.

To me, the key is how sold the new GM and organization are on Cowart and Kubitza....I'm not (at least not yet) so signing Freese to a 2 year deal would be fine with me.  3 years, not so much.  If Freese thinks he can get 3 from somebody, not sure I want him bad enough to go that far.  2 years seems about right....

I really think that, had Freese been unable to come back this year, Cowart would have made resigning Freese unnecessary.

Until about mid-season of last year, Freese blew chunks here. I'm not convinced he wont return to that blowing-chunk form long before a new contract ends. 10 hrs, 50-60 RBI, and batting around 240-250 is what he has done here, and he's approaching his mid-30's.

To me, that is not much more than warm-body status.

Plus he is now, apparently injury prone.

I'd rather have Cowart forced into a full time role, than give Freese another contract.  

I really think that, had Freese been unable to come back this year, Cowart would have made resigning Freese unnecessary.

Until about mid-season of last year, Freese blew chunks here. I'm not convinced he wont return to that blowing-chunk form long before a new contract ends. 10 hrs, 50-60 RBI, and batting around 240-250 is what he has done here, and he's approaching his mid-30's.

To me, that is not much more than warm-body status.

Plus he is now, apparently injury prone.

I'd rather have Cowart forced into a full time role, than give Freese another contract.  

To be fair, weren't both his injuries the result of HBP? Broken fingers? 

I think the Angels could chance it with Cowart next year if they upgraded other positions, and brought in a capable vet utility player who could step in at 3B if Cowart is blowing it after a couple months.

Honestly, I think the Angels need to resign him. He is solid at what he does.

There are definitely better 3B to be had but we have more pressing concerns that we need to spend the money on.

Rr-sign him and get another pitcher or a big bat.

Edited by laagamer

Freese is 33, plays average defense with above average power. But his BA and OBP have trended downward to their current point where they're absolutely in the toilet.

Cowart will give us a defensive boost and cost the league minimum. I think he'd likely hit for about the same average as Freese but with a worse OBP. The overall result would be a slight downgrade while saving millions.

Kubitza would be a slight upgrade defensively over Freese and give us more pop with the bat as evidenced by his league leading doubles in AAA. His batting average and OBP could be expected to remain near Freese's.

From my set of shoes, I think Kubitza would be the best overall option at this point and would also cost the least. But he needs an opportunity. So he flopped in his first exposure to major league pitching. So did pretty much every other major leaguer.

We shouldn't use a knee-jerk reaction and pay tens of millions for Freese and thereby block both Kubitza and Cowart.

....From my set of shoes, I think Kubitza would be the best overall option at this point and would also cost the least. But he needs an opportunity. So he flopped in his first exposure to major league pitching. So did pretty much every other major leaguer....

I'm not sold on a .270 hitter at SLC, even if he did lead the league in doubles....It's a hitters league....heck, Marte hit .313 and Navarro hit .329.....  .270 doesn't give me confidence he can hit in the bigs....to the contrary, with little HR power at a corner INF position, .270 in the PCL isn't very impressive....

Just an interesting note about Cowart:  After his first 5 games in which he had no hits, he has batted .296/.406/.888 including getting hits in each of the last 4 games he started.  Thats only a small sample size of about 10 games, but he was starting to get things going.  I like having Freese back in the lineup, but I think Cowart needs more of a shot as well.  There is just really no way to fit them both in the lineup unless Pujols or Cron are having a rest day.

Just an interesting note about Cowart: After his first 5 games in which he had no hits, he has batted .296/.406/.888 including getting hits in each of the last 4 games he started. Thats only a small sample size of about 10 games, but he was starting to get things going. I like having Freese back in the lineup, but I think Cowart needs more of a shot as well. There is just really no way to fit them both in the lineup unless Pujols or Cron are having a rest day.

Perhaps Freese at 2B?

I believe he's worth the qualifying offer.  It's a high dollar, yes.  However, I'm not sure Coward or Kubitza are ready.  Freese provides an insurance policy.  If he declines, we'd get a draft pick, so there's no real downside.  

The qualifying offer will be something more than 14 million....Since Freese made 6 million this year, no way in hell he gets a qualifying offer....he either signs with the Angels before he hits the FA market or he's gone....

Edited by DMVol

at this point, i'd rather have the luxury of freese over the unknown of cowart. maybe a one year deal with an option, and i'm not sure i'd give him much of a raise. he's making $6m now? don't really see him being worth much more than that. 2 yrs 15 mil take it or leave it. 

Well, the majority here says that Freese should be allowed to walk, because with what he would be making, and what he might contribute, he isn't worth that much more than the youngsters who would be replacing him...

So, I'm going to be the first to congratulate him on his new contract.

Welcome back Dave! 

I just wish we could have seen Cowart play for a bit longer.  He seemed to be hitting his stride and it would have been nice to know what we have with him before making the decision as to whether or not Freese should be resigned.

I thought we wanted to hoard young talent in the minors in the hopes we can turn it into this mythical dynasty some time in the distant future.  He fits that bill perfectly, no?