• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Darin Erstad Should Replace Scioscia

I'd rather have a stat-minded Joe Maddon type. I don't want a stubborn old school baseball type.

THINGS HAVE CHANGED. Move on with the changes, or be a bottom feeder. 

What exactly makes you think Erstad is a "stubborn old school baseball type" ?

And how does that conflict with utilizing statistics? Those two things aren't mutually exclusive. 

"Throw the stats out the window. Throw the egos out the window. We're here to win."  -  Darin Erstad

You're misinterpreting that quote and it's being used out of context. He's not shunning statistics in its entirety, he's commenting on how his team had defied all statistics and projections. It amazes me how some of you have such a black and white perception of the world. 

I would be thirsty for Ersty as manager, but ultimately, it wouldn't work out.  He'd be a good sort of bridge guy to totally rearrange the team's thinking, but he'd be divisive in the process because, well, he'd demand the players give all no matter their status or salary.

You're going to see Albert Pujols' name changed to Mo Vaughn in no time in that atmosphere.  

After some seasoning and age, I could see Ersty mellowing and becoming a bit more patient, but it's not a long term fit.  

Still, I don't give a toss.  Throw the dude in there and let him beat the f out of any player that laughs after hitting into a DP.

You're misinterpreting that quote and it's being used out of context. He's not shunning statistics in its entirety, he's commenting on how his team had defied all statistics and projections. It amazes me how some of you have such a black and white perception of the world. 

I am?  I simply posted the quote.

Shouldn't he have some success at the minor league level before we make him our big league manager ? Seems like that would make sense. I'm all for having him be part of the organization but let's pump the breaks here. The Nebraska record on its own is not promising.

Edited by UndertheHalo

I would be thirsty for Ersty as manager, but ultimately, it wouldn't work out.  He'd be a good sort of bridge guy to totally rearrange the team's thinking, but he'd be divisive in the process because, well, he'd demand the players give all no matter their status or salary.

You're going to see Albert Pujols' name changed to Mo Vaughn in no time in that atmosphere.  

After some seasoning and age, I could see Ersty mellowing and becoming a bit more patient, but it's not a long term fit.  

Still, I don't give a toss.  Throw the dude in there and let him beat the f out of any player that laughs after hitting into a DP.

Coaches like that aren't divisive, rather, they inspire their players to give it their all. I think the Angels would really benefit from that kind of leadership. Also, I don't think Albert Pujols will butt heads with a guy like Erstad. 

Ersty is my all-time favorite Angels, but I don't think he's a viable candidate in the Major Leagues yet.  Just the differences in longer schedules and number of players to juggle up-and-down the feeder-leagues suggests he doesn't have the experience or game plan yet.  Plus, I don't think his Nebraska experiment is over yet.  Ersty will be Ersty until the Huskers win a title.

I'd love to see Salmon brought into the Coaches room!  He seems to be pretty analytical on the broadcasts, and the players will listen to him for sure.

Salmon/Ersty-2020!

Being a fan favorite as a player doesn't make one a good major league manager. I liked Erstad as much as the next guy when it came to grit and toughness, but that doesn't mean that he would be suited to lead the Angels.

Those who suggest Erstad aren't doing so because he's a fan favorite. He was the leader of the 2000s Angels, and has been hailed throughout the league as being a true leader and someone others look up. Either way, the team needs someone new and young to manage–we're all fed up with the current state of affairs.

What exactly makes you think Erstad is a "stubborn old school baseball type" ?

Erstad is like 87.9% caveman.   

Those who suggest Erstad aren't doing so because he's a fan favorite. He was the leader of the 2000s Angels, and has been hailed throughout the league as being a true leader and someone others look up. Either way, the team needs someone new and young to manage–we're all fed up with the current state of affairs.

People who are suggesting Erstad are the same people that want to have a manager throwing hissy fits and yelling at players.....  that and name recognition.  If all people ant to see is someone that commands respect and was widely respected there are better options including former Angels.

Chili Davis was all the things you are trying to put on Erstad and he's actually been in MLB clubhouses coaching MLB players.   Best of all he wasn't a disciple of Gary Disarcina.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Mike Scioscia was a team leader and someone others looked up to.

That's true, suggesting Erstad as the next manager would be very similar to hiring Scioscia in the first place.  This thread is out of order, because the most important move is hiring a GM first.  Then, depending on just who that GM is, should determine who the best manager would be.

Personally wouldn't mind seeing it eventually. He needs more experience though. How bout replacing Disar? Darin is probably my all time favorite Angel because of how he played the game. And he seems like someone Scioscia would give his seal of approval to as well, for what that's worth.

And to automatically assume that we would have any idea about his managerial style, temperament in the clubhouse or analytical dependency, would be stretching it in my opinion.