• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What happened to Trout's ability to steal bases?

The drop from 49 in 2012 to 33 in 2013 to 16 last year is one thing, but what is perhaps most surprising this year is his rather poor 10-for-17 rate. 7 caught steals in 17 attempts is poor and a net negative.

I don't get a chance to watch many games, but is he perceptibly slower? Is he just out of practice? What is it, do you think?

Yet another thing to complain about!

He's slower.

This will be sacrilege here, but his pure athleticism, and all out grinding, leads me to believe that he will be more like Jim Edmonds as time goes on.

He gets HBP frequently. His defensive play may not be gold glove caliber, but he gives it his all. And maybe, like Harper, desire and attitude sometimes trumps common sense while playing the field.

I'm not saying Trout is going to suck from here on out. But I'm not sure we will ever see anything close to what we saw the last cpl of years.

Mid July people were seriously believing he'd be at mid 50s HRs. Now he could go on a tear in Sept and get mid 40s, but I'm not hopeful.

He really was never very good at reading pitchers or getting the best first step. You don't need to be track star fast to steal bases but you do need the skillet. His first year he was slighter of build and made up for his reads with pure speed. His bulking up for hitting has strengthened his core but he now runs with the extra mass that is not built for speed but power. I feel his home run quest has had a negative impact.

He really was never very good at reading pitchers or getting the best first step. You don't need to be track star fast to steal bases but you do need the skillet. His first year he was slighter of build and made up for his reads with pure speed. His bulking up for hitting has strengthened his core but he now runs with the extra mass that is not built for speed but power. I feel his home run quest has had a negative impact.

Would that skillet also be good for frying up bacon after a game?

Couple factors,

Unwilling/unable to disturb "focus" of the 10yr contract guy

Too many Subway commercials, good for long balls, not so good for quickness...fewer close plays at first

More of concern is his August slump, though 4x4 yesterday was an encouraging sign

This is why I like the idea of trying to acquire Dee Gordon in the off-season, both for the speed/OBP and the 2B hole being filled in.

Gordon

Trout

Calhoun

Pujols

Cespedes?

Aybar

Perez/Bandy/?

Cowart

That would create mayhem at the top of the order, which would then hopefully lead to better pitches for Trout, Calhoun, and Pujols to hit, and have a domino effect on the rest of the lineup. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

Am I alone in wishing Trout should bat leadoff? I had previously been a supporter of him batting 2nd, but he put up his best all around numbers batting leadoff. Batting 2nd/3rd has correlated with him batting with power, but at leadoff he had more opportunities to steal, get on base, have a higher BA, etc...

Edited by failos

This is why I like the idea of trying to acquire Dee Gordon in the off-season, both for the speed/OBP and the 2B hole being filled in.

Gordon

Trout

Calhoun

Pujols

Cespedes?

Aybar

Cowart

Perez/Bandy/?

That would create mayhem at the top of the order, which would then hopefully lead to better pitches for Trout, Calhoun, and Pujols to hit, and have a domino effect on the rest of the lineup. 

i like the idea of Gordon and Cespedes. For some reason, Cespedes makes teams better. When the A's traded him, they fell apart from then on. Then he helped the Tigers. Now, since he joined the Met's, they seem like an invigorated team. 

i like the idea of Gordon and Cespedes. For some reason, Cespedes makes teams better. When the A's traded him, they fell apart from then on. Then he helped the Tigers. Now, since he joined the Met's, they seem like an invigorated team. 

Its because he is clutch offensively and defensively.  His arm can make that play that changes the game.  His bat is one of the more clutch bats in baseball despite his sometimes mediocre slash line.  Even though he hit .260 last year he still hit .300 w/RISP, a .338 w/2-outs late and close, and .336 in high leverage situations.  He is a spark plug and I've always liked him as a player.  I agree adding Gordon to the mix too would really get things going.