• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

Maybe Weaver knows he's about done?

`

Maybe weaver can help in the BP. Have him follow a hard thrower.

Jered Weaver rhp
5 years/$85M (2012-16)

• 5 years/$85M (2012-16)
    • signed extension with LA Angels 8/22/11
    • $1M signing bonus
    • 12:$14M, 13:$16M, 14:$16M, 15:$18M, 16:$20M
    • full no-trade clause

I remember last October - Game #3 in KC. TV showed Weaver...with his hood on in the dugout. The commentator was talking about Weaver, that his window may be closing and he knows it.

Watching him on the mound Sunday...he knows it's closed.

Why would he leave $16 million on the table and retire after this year?

I expect he makes the team out of ST in 2016 and spends a majority of the year on the DL. He most likely retires after his contract is done. Doubt he wants to hit the AAAA circuit for marginal teams in the midWest to join another 25 man roster.

A lot of you guys jump the gun too quickly. He'll work on a few things and turn things around next season.

Imagine if we dropped Weaver: he'd go to the A's and win 20 games. 

Edited by failos

If only this was like the NHL where they could just buy him out and only part of the salary counts against the luxury tax.

They should have an amnesty/mulligan option like the NBA specifically for situations like Vernon Well, GMJ, Hamilton etc. 

I expect he makes the team out of ST in 2016 and spends a majority of the year on the DL. He most likely retires after his contract is done. Doubt he wants to hit the AAAA circuit for marginal teams in the midWest to join another 25 man roster.

Because if he can't live on $74 million, he's doing something wrong.

Because if he can't live on $74 million, he's doing something wrong.

That's not the point: No sane man would leave ~$15 million on the table.

Besides, he gave the Angels a hometown discount when he agreed to that contract–he could have made a whole lot more if he signed elsewhere.

That's not the point: No sane man would leave ~$15 million on the table.

Besides, he gave the Angels a hometown discount when he agreed to that contract–he could have made a whole lot more if he signed elsewhere.

What if that man has pride? I look at it different. How much money do you make in a year failo? My guess is slightly less than Weaver. If you were unable to do your job anymore would you stick around and do it? Now what if you have enough to never work again, Would you still do it?

Why? Because he hates losing, and he hates getting shelled.  How much slower will his "fast ball" be next year? Did you see him on the mound today? Not sure if he wants to spend another year like this even if it pays him 16 million

Why? Because he hates losing, and he hates getting shelled.  How much slower will his "fast ball" be next year? Did you see him on the mound today? Not sure if he wants to spend another year like this even if it pays him 16 million

I believe 2016 is $20M 

Jered Weaver rhp

5 years/$85M (2012-16)

• 5 years/$85M (2012-16)
    • signed extension with LA Angels 8/22/11
    • $1M signing bonus
    • 12:$14M, 13:$16M, 14:$16M, 15:$18M, 16:$20M
    • full no-trade clause
    •  

What if that man has pride? I look at it different. How much money do you make in a year failo? My guess is slightly less than Weaver. If you were unable to do your job anymore would you stick around and do it? Now what if you have enough to never work again, Would you still do it?

Weaver is definitely one of the most competitive players around, so you make a good point. However, I believe he'll work tremendously hard during the offseason to improve his game–that's just who he is. Again, though, no sane man would leave millions on the table. It's a contracts issue not an issue of being unable to do your work. Besides, this team has much bigger problems than Weaver.

If any player (including Pujols) were to leave 20 million on the table to retire because he just doesn't have it anymore, it would be Weaver. The guy is the definition of a gamer and is about as competitive as any player I've seen.

That said, I don't think he will retire. He will be on the team next year in some capacity. Even if he's stuck in the bullpen.

It's pretty crazy though, talking about a player being "done" when he's not even 33 years old. Honestly it seems like he's just a few adjustments away from being successful again. I'm sure someone will take that comment as a shot at Butcher but it isn't. Sometimes "adjustments" are far more complex than anything we can imagine.

If any player (including Pujols) were to leave 20 million on the table to retire because he just doesn't have it anymore, it would be Weaver. The guy is the definition of a gamer and is about as competitive as any player I've seen.

That said, I don't think he will retire. He will be on the team next year in some capacity. Even if he's stuck in the bullpen.

It's pretty crazy though, talking about a player being "done" when he's not even 33 years old. Honestly it seems like he's just a few adjustments away from being successful again. I'm sure someone will take that comment as a shot at Butcher but it isn't. Sometimes "adjustments" are far more complex than anything we can imagine.

No I think he will stick around to collect his last check even if it's in the bullpen. I can't blame him, it is $20M.

Weaver has already shown that he is not all about money.  How much more could he have made and went to another team.  I don't think he wants to end his career pitching batting practice for other teams.

He doesn't have to pitch batting practice. He can be a mop up reliever or it in the dugout splitting sunflower seeds and collecting $20mil