• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

NFL >>> MLB

ABC

yeah, current in-game info is not going to help. neither is coach-player interaction beyond a few words.

notebooks, bad.

ipads, bad.

jezzus.

The thought never really occured to me to have them looking at it ipads to look at the last at bats, mainly because they just lived the at bat. Players remember at bats.

Ya well with this coaching staff, the prep isn't done ahead of time either. So what now?

Except it is. Once again, it wasn't about whether or not they get information it was how they were going to get the information. It was settled that the information would be sent to their phones or tablets.

I'm not high on baseball in general, but think this comparison is off.

In baseball a pitcher had certain pitches, the homework would have been done ahead of time. Pitchers and the defense aren't making adjustments on the fly like the NFL with coverages and schemes.

MLB and NFL definitely aren't at the same intensity level and game play changes quickly in the NFL however is there no benefit to more in-game strategy and player/coach interaction in the MLB?

The thought never really occured to me to have them looking at it ipads to look at the last at bats, mainly because they just lived the at bat. Players remember at bats.

I think most do but is there a benefit to have a coach walk him through the AB and maybe add knowledge to what the pitcher seems to be doing in other ABs or correct a flaw? 

NFL and MLB players have different mindsets when it comes time to perform a high-level of intensity will likely hurt performance for batters but added focus and game planning can only help. 

MLB and NFL definitely aren't at the same intensity level and game play changes quickly in the NFL however is there no benefit to more in-game strategy and player/coach interaction in the MLB?

Eh, I just think the approach is different. I used to get harped on in these types of threads over the years because I think baseball has the least amount of "coaching" at the pro level than any sport. That's why I laughed at the fire x threads. I think you go into a game with a game plan and scouting report on players, but for the most part they fill out a lineup card and then pick when to pinch hit or go to the pen.

Eh, I just think the approach is different. I used to get harped on in these types of threads over the years because I think baseball has the least amount of "coaching" at the pro level than any sport. That's why I laughed at the fire x threads. I think you go into a game with a game plan and scouting report on players, but for the most part they fill out a lineup card and then pick when to pinch hit or go to the pen.

Seems antiquated. There are tons of tracking tools now available and a batting cage behind the dugout.

Football is a much more predictable sport.  The sport is based on predetermined plays.  All of those photos shown in the original post are relevant to the opposing team's plays, or how a team reacts to another team's plays.

It's nearly impossible to provide that kind of in-depth planning and strategy to baseball.  In just one pitch, there are:  1.  Several types of pitches that could be thrown.  2.  Several defensive plays that could be made.  3.  Several offensive reactions which create multiple possible results (not a mathematician, but I'd guess the possibilities are somewhere around 50 just depending on a ball being hit in any direction from a curve ball.  And that's not taking into account the speed of the curve ball, the pitcher's traditional release point, etc.)

I could go on, but I think you get my point.  If I were to finish this, it would be a 50,000 word post.  Because it's baseball and it's not as narrow or "play" based.  It's more reactive and intuitive and definitely unpredictable.

Football is a much more predictable sport.  The sport is based on predetermined plays.  All of those photos shown in the original post are relevant to the opposing team's plays, or how a team reacts to another team's plays.

It's nearly impossible to provide that kind of in-depth planning and strategy to baseball.  In just one pitch, there are:  1.  Several types of pitches that could be thrown.  2.  Several defensive plays that could be made.  3.  Several offensive reactions which create multiple possible results (not a mathematician, but I'd guess the possibilities are somewhere around 50 just depending on a ball being hit in any direction from a curve ball.  And that's not taking into account the speed of the curve ball, the pitcher's traditional release point, etc.)

I could go on, but I think you get my point.  If I were to finish this, it would be a 50,000 word post.  Because it's baseball and it's not as narrow or "play" based.  It's more reactive and intuitive and definitely unpredictable.

I'll save you a 50K post as well so I'll just say that I disagree with the entire theory.

You use those pictures to try to say there isn't interaction between coaches and players between at bats, when that isn't the case. Maybe you feel it should be more, but the football comparison doesn't work. If you fail 70% of the time as a hitter you're one of the greats. Football uses schemes baseball uses shifts that obvious to see. The pitcher you're facing throws three or four different pitches and 90% of hitters can tell you the pitch sequence of each of his at bats today. They also go into the game knowing the tendency of each pitcher.

You use those pictures to try to say there isn't interaction between coaches and players between at bats, when that isn't the case. Maybe you feel it should be more, but the football comparison doesn't work. If you fail 70% of the time as a hitter you're one of the greats. Football uses schemes baseball uses shifts that obvious to see. The pitcher you're facing throws three or four different pitches and 90% of hitters can tell you the pitch sequence of each of his at bats today. They also go into the game knowing the tendency of each pitcher.

How do you know that?

They also go into the game knowing the tendency of each pitcher.

Everyone realizes that. Pitchers can change their game plan.