• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would You Rather..

Hollyw00d

Why does any FA sign with a team?

$$$

If Arte truly doesn't mind blowing through the luxury tax for the RIGHT players, he can sign Cespedes, sign either Price or Cueto, and trade Santiago, 2B prospect Andrew Daniel and one other prospect for Dee Gordon to jumpstart the top of the lineup.

Cespedes and Price or Cueto = no losing of the 1st round pick.

Two seasons from now, he will no longer have $70 million on the payroll (Nibs, Weave, Hackilton, IaNADA, and Freese).

Two years of exceeding the luxury tax only = 10% and 20% tax on the overage.

And year two wouldn't be much over that threshold.

Edited by Angel Oracle

He's worn out. He has no help and he's been carrying the team for 3-4 seasons. I'm sure that he gets frustrated watching the lack of talent he's surrounded by. He probably hates losing like Tiger, Kobe or Jordan. He wants to be part of championships not 3rd place finishes.

while this is likely true, he needs to make sure he does his part. the players you've mentioned really stepped up when it mattered most.

how'd trout do in the playoffs against KC last year?

The idea of a player, who doesn't steal bases, is worn out because he is "carrying a team" is just silly. What exactly does he do above and beyond that makes him any more tired physically than if he was just another guy in the line up. Does he swing harder, run harder? In baseball it doesn't make sense.

while this is likely true, he needs to make sure he does his part. the players you've mentioned really stepped up when it mattered most.

how'd trout do in the playoffs against KC last year?

He gave the Angels their only lead of the series.

The Angels were swept for the following reasons:

1) Arte Moreno insisting Hamilton to be put on the postseason roster (despite the fact he'd been out for a month with no rehab starts) 

2) Mike Scioscia insisting on Hamilton being in the starting lineup 

On more than one occasion Sciosica sacrificed an out to bunt runners into scoring position before Hamilton came up to the plate. Each time resulted in a 3 pitch K. Both game 1 and 2 were winnable if not for that.

It worked for the Cowboys trading Herschel Walker for something like 10 Vikings players.

Then again, drafting Emmett Smith, Troy Aikman, Michael Irvin, etc. may have had more to do with that.

I'm aware of the trade. I can give dozens of examples where it didn't work for every HW trade. 

The M-Cab trade worked out well for Miami. Actually

He gave the Angels their only lead of the series.

The Angels were swept for the following reasons:

1) Arte Moreno insisting Hamilton to be put on the postseason roster (despite the fact he'd been out for a month with no rehab starts)

2) Mike Scioscia insisting on Hamilton being in the starting lineup

On more than one occasion Sciosica sacrificed an out to bunt runners into scoring position before Hamilton came up to the plate. Each time resulted in a 3 pitch K. Both game 1 and 2 were winnable if not for that.

They lost because they weren't hitting. They weren't hitting so Scioscia was trying to generate runs. I don't blame Arte for Hamilton being on the post season roster because I've never heard or read anywhere that it was Arte who wanted it. I only blame Scioscia for Hamilton starting in the post season. If we somehow find out it was mandated by Arte or Dipoto then I will blame that person instead.

Then why state it's silly to underestimate the impact?

Given what's happened publicly this season, it would be foolish to underestimate how much worse things are behind closed doors.  They bite their tongue when speaking publicly, but it's obvious the problems run very deep. 

Given what's happened publicly this season, it would be foolish to underestimate how much worse things are behind closed doors. They bite their tongue when speaking publicly, but it's obvious the problems run very deep.

So if it is behind closed doors, what would be the impact on free agents? Like I said, the only thing I see that would negatively affect free agency would be how Arte and the team handled the Hamilton situation.

The roster isn't great but you don't trade Trout to try and fix things...you freakin try to add talent around him.

Exactly. It's not like we are talking about a 29 year old player that will start his decline in the next two or three years. I just can't get passed the idea of trading away the best player the team has ever had and the best player in the league that is 24 years old. I wouldn't do it.

So if it is behind closed doors, what would be the impact on free agents? Like I said, the only thing I see that would negatively affect free agency would be how Arte and the team handled the Hamilton situation.

Players talk.  Free agents are always going to ask friends on the team what it's like to play here. 

There's really no upside to playing for the Angels.  Player performance almost always plummets; the team consistently underachieves; and on top of that, you have an overbearing manager backed by an overbearing owner who doesn't know much about baseball.

There's really no upside to playing for the Angels.  Player performance almost always plummets; the team consistently underachieves; and on top of that, you have an overbearing manager backed by an overbearing owner who doesn't know much about baseball.

au contraire mon ami...FAs on their career downslope receive long contracts for big $$$

Edited by 70runner

Players talk. Free agents are always going to ask friends on the team what it's like to play here.

There's really no upside to playing for the Angels. Player performance almost always plummets; the team consistently underachieves; and on top of that, you have an overbearing manager backed by an overbearing owner who doesn't know much about baseball.

You have the best player of his generation who is 24 years old and a good core of young starting pitching. I highly doubt free agents look at the minor leagues and say, oh their farm isn't strong I am not going to sign with that team, that is what we do and what the front office does. We have pointed out we need to improve in the bullpen, 2nd base, LF and possibly catcher. The bench can be improved on with small moves. We could compete at a high level next season with additions of Howie Kendrick and Cespedes or Heyward. Along with a couple of little moves to assure we don't have the Featherson's of the world playing a ton until he is ready. Cowart might have figured it out.

The idea of a player, who doesn't steal bases, is worn out because he is "carrying a team" is just silly. What exactly does he do above and beyond that makes him any more tired physically than if he was just another guy in the line up. Does he swing harder, run harder? In baseball it doesn't make sense.

Strad, Mike Trout is worn out and it's not the first time. His second half splits clearly show that he is wearing down in the 2nd half.

2014 1st half .310 / 22hrs / 73rbi's / 1.005ops

2014 2nd half .257 / 14hrs / 38rbi's / .849ops

2015 1st half .312 / 26hrs / 55rbi's / 1.029ops

2015 2nd half .244 / 7hrs / 18rbi's / .829ops

But that has nothing to do with "carrying the offense". What don't you understand about this. He still takes the same amount of at bats and he still plays the same amount of games.

Strad, can you please tell me who is carrying the team?

2015 RISP Trout .342 / 7hrs / 40rbi's / 1.208ops

2015 RISP Pujols .221 / 5hrs / 38rbi's / .730ops

2015 RISP Calhoun .303 / 3hrs / 45rbi's / .838ops

Strad, can you please tell me who is carrying the team?

2015 RISP Trout .342 / 7hrs / 40rbi's / 1.208ops

2015 RISP Pujols .221 / 5hrs / 38rbi's / .730ops

2015 RISP Calhoun .303 / 3hrs / 45rbi's / .838ops

Can you please tell me how being the best player on a team equates to a player carrying a team this being slowed down do to doing so.