• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ben Revere

OregonLAA

Defensive metrics are far from being perfected. Have you watched any Blue Jay games?

I've watched a shit ton of Ben Revere games, going all the way back to when he played alongside Denard Span.  One of my closest friends out here is a massive Phillies fan so I'm forced to watch Phillies games quite a bit, both live and on TV.  Have you watched him outside of the recent series .Vs Toronto???   

Ben Revere isn't bad defensively because the stats say so, he's bad defensively because the eye tests say as much.   Also, NONE of the numbers I used are the defensive stats that typically get written off -- those are the old school numbers that people devoid of the concept of park effects hold dear..   

Yeah, I don't trust any defensive metric that suggests Ben Revere is comparable to Matt Joyce.  It just won't pass the smell test.

Offensively, Revere is playing out of his mind right now.  Nothing in his past suggests he's actually this good; he's an average hitter and a plus defender who's on a hot streak.  Great for him.

I'd rather tend to our own garden.  We only have two arms in the bullpen we can sorta rely on, and one of them just gave up 5 runs in 4 minutes today.  If we sneak into the post season this year, it will be despite ourselves, not because of our talent.  One offensive upgrade isn't going to cut the mustard on that.   So as far as I'm concerned Left Field is an off-season concern.  

Range factor is hardly a new fangled stat -- I avoided those to keep people from making the arguments you two are trying to make.   Ben Revere looks good defensively because he's fast.  His speed allows him to overcome the bad reads and poor jumps but that doesn't take away from the reality he's been a poor defender.  And it says a great deal about Ben Revere's offense when his "playing out of his mind" amounts to a OPS+ of 93.  The abortion that is the Angels offense has combined for an OPS+ of 97.  

FTR, Revere for Gott wouldn't have been a bad get.   A middle reliever for a Eric Aybar-ish type bat at the bottom of the order would have been pretty solid.  But I agree with your general sentiment .... we are talking about a LFer that struggles to match a middle IFer's production.  I understand the concept of being better than Matt Joyce, but a sub league average offensive performer wouldn't transform the Angels offense.

Edited by Inside Pitch