• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ben Revere

OregonLAA

To the people who didn't want Revere, look who we ended up with and look how Revere is playing. He would be the best hitter on the team right now the way he is hitting and has been excellent in left field. But we got Victorino and Dejesus! Thank the Jesus! Murphy has been solid

Big mistake for the FO ... would of been nice to get a speed guy that can also lead off.

I've never understood all the reluctance on this board toward Revere, He would of ben the perfect fit!

What is his free agent status? How much did Toronto really give up for him?

I sadly feel that this was the guy that JD was targeting and that plan was unfortunately nixed when he left.

Revere (LF) & Cespedes (DH) = Postseason.

Revere + Cespednes minus a non hitting Trout & Pujols, a bullpen without Gott, and whoever we would have given up for Cespedes = no post season.

Edited by tomsred

Revere would have hit .220 in his time here.

They are simply just doing things differently in Toronto.  Whatever they do to gameplan and prepare for games works.  Just watch a Blue Jays game and watch how they constantly have great at bat after great at bat, they run the bases well and are great at situational hitting.  Basically they are doing everything the Angels are not.  Every at bat is terrible and lazy, we make horrendous plays on the base paths that turn into outs.  We cant situational hit for squat and to top it off we dont bunt at the right time and bunt at the wrong times, and hit into many rally ending double plays.  

They are simply just doing things differently in Toronto.  Whatever they do to gameplan and prepare for games works.  Just watch a Blue Jays game and watch how they constantly have great at bat after great at bat, they run the bases well and are great at situational hitting.  Basically they are doing everything the Angels are not.  Every at bat is terrible and lazy, we make horrendous plays on the base paths that turn into outs.  We cant situational hit for squat and to top it off we dont bunt at the right time and bunt at the wrong times, and hit into many rally ending double plays.  

But it's never the coaches' fault. 

"The guys are just scuffling."

For practically a whole damn season?!?!

But it's never the coaches' fault.

"The guys are just scuffling."

For practically a whole damn season?!?!

Besides Iannetta, who has a track record of being a major leaguer and is playing below expectations offensively? Without looking at the stats my guess is Albert, Kole, Aybar and Trout all have season numbers right around where you would expect them.

Besides Iannetta, who has a track record of being a major leaguer and is playing below expectations offensively? Without looking at the stats my guess is Albert, Kole, Aybar and Trout all have season numbers right around where you would expect them.

It's not just numbers. As QM said, a team like Toronto is doing all the things well. We're doing most things on a baseball field badly. There are so many mistakes of a fundamental nature being made, at the plate and in the field, and nothing seems ever to be done about it.

Coaches should be accountable when almost every hitter has a consistently horrible approach in the batter's box. And they shouldn't be giving high-fives when runners get thrown out on bad base running decisions. No! 

Toronto is a team that plays smart. We play dumb. They're winning, we're losing. 

Edited by fan_since79

So, a 93 OPS+ guy in Toronto would have been the difference in Anaheim?   I just looked at his excellence in LF..  I guess a range factor of 1.63 .vs a league range factor of 2.21 is excellence in opposite land.   His negative 11 BIS defensive runs saved in Toronto is also very impressive.  Matt Joyce, a person not known for his glove posted a negative 10....   Guess we should at least be happy he was "excellent" in LF despite having had no bat all season.

Edited by Inside Pitch

It's not just numbers. As QM said, a team like Toronto is doing all the things well. We're doing most things on a baseball field badly. There are so many mistakes of a fundamental nature being made, at the plate and in the field, and nothing seems ever to be done about it.

Coaches should be accountable when almost every hitter has a consistently horrible approach in the batter's box. And they shouldn't be giving high-fives when runners get thrown out on bad base running decisions. No!

Toronto is a team that plays smart. We play dumb. They're winning, we're losing.

Their players are talented ours aren't. And the, getting high fives in the dugout is just as stupid as getting upset at what Mike tells the media. There is little doubt he talks to the players in the clubhouse about mental errors. I know you don't want to hear this, but the reason we have won a lot of games over the years is because of our aggressive style. Yes it means you run into outs, but it's one of those live by the sword, die by the sword type of things. Now I know you won't agree, and you will make snarky comments about posts like this in the gameday thread, but regardless of how you feel about it, it is true.

Their players are talented ours aren't. And the, getting high fives in the dugout is just as stupid as getting upset at what Mike tells the media. There is little doubt he talks to the players in the clubhouse about mental errors. I know you don't want to hear this, but the reason we have won a lot of games over the years is because of our aggressive style. Yes it means you run into outs, but it's one of those live by the sword, die by the sword type of things. Now I know you won't agree, and you will make snarky comments about posts like this in the gameday thread, but regardless of how you feel about it, it is true.

I won't be making any snarky comments about your posts, so relax.

Edited by fan_since79

They are simply just doing things differently in Toronto. Whatever they do to gameplan and prepare for games works. Just watch a Blue Jays game and watch how they constantly have great at bat after great at bat, they run the bases well and are great at situational hitting. Basically they are doing everything the Angels are not. Every at bat is terrible and lazy, we make horrendous plays on the base paths that turn into outs. We cant situational hit for squat and to top it off we dont bunt at the right time and bunt at the wrong times, and hit into many rally ending double plays.

What about prior to this year in Toronto? We're they still doing things differently back then?

This link actually gives people a look at what youre talking about..  you can click on the individual categories to see what they have done well and done poorly and to get an idea of how much their aggressive baserunning helps or hurts them..  

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/2015-baserunning-batting.shtml

Most would be surprised to find they are in the bottom half in the AL for being picked off/pick off CS, or how they are among the leaders in going 1st to 3rd, and in scoring when a double is hit.   Conversely, they don't steal bases well and they have struggled to score on singles when batter has been on second.   The amazing thing is that we have all seen more outs at home than ever before this year thanks to Disar, and yet their 16 outs at home are only 1 more than the league average.   An even semi competent 3B coach and the Angels base running might have actually been a strength instead of an eyesore.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Yeah, I don't trust any defensive metric that suggests Ben Revere is comparable to Matt Joyce.  It just won't pass the smell test.

Offensively, Revere is playing out of his mind right now.  Nothing in his past suggests he's actually this good; he's an average hitter and a plus defender who's on a hot streak.  Great for him.

I'd rather tend to our own garden.  We only have two arms in the bullpen we can sorta rely on, and one of them just gave up 5 runs in 4 minutes today.  If we sneak into the post season this year, it will be despite ourselves, not because of our talent.  One offensive upgrade isn't going to cut the mustard on that.   So as far as I'm concerned Left Field is an off-season concern.