• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

where have you been

my wife and i honeymooned in hawaii. we spent some time outdoors seeing tourist stuff and hitting the beach, but probably spent more time indoors. no complaints. :-) would like to go back and perhaps visit maui instead of oahu, but wouldn't complain about being in oahu again.

was in lake tahoe three weeks ago. spectacular views. would like to visit there again.

have taken two cruises to alaska. it's a state with a different kind of beauty, and i thoroughly enjoyed it both times. would gladly go back again.

next summer we're taking a cruise to jamaica, grand cayman, and cozumel. hope to be able to do some snorkeling with my daughter.

well, looks like this is happening...I blame this thread. This morning we weren't even discussing a trip and 4 hours later we've booked and paid for a flight to Spain.

Thanks Cat. We usually stay away from the tourist areas or try and limit ourselves to a day or two. I'm going to jot those items down.

Right now we are tentatively thinking a 4-5 days around Barcelona, a few days in the Pyrenees, and 4-5 days along the coast near Marseille. I'm sure once I start location planning things will change.

I think I would pick Portugal over Spain (not that I wouldn't want to go to Spain) but Portugal is on my bucket list.

Wife has wanted to go to Spain for years, one of the first conversations we ever had involved bucket list travel locations and Spain was on her list...so I'm scoring some serious points on this one.

Add in that France has always been on my list...it's a no brainer.

The big trick is going to be convincing her I need to buy a new camera for the journey.

US (not including places I have just passed through, but places where I have spent some time)

Atlanta - Fun place to visit, would not want to deal with commuting to work there. Hope that you like peach flavored everything.

Chicago - Great ethnic food, a collection of museums that is hard to beat.

Dallas - Very spread out, great sports scene.

Grand Canyon - Photos cannot do it justice. Probably the single most spectacular thing I have ever seen in person.

Los Angeles - For a city that size, no distinct downtown area. Traffic is a nightmare. If you're into the entertainment industry, no better place.

Orlando - A waystop on the way to Miami before Disney went in. Lots of gawking tourists on the highways, growth has exceeded the infrastructure.

Miami - I understand the appeal of the beaches, but even as a native Floridian it struck me as a place I wouldn't want to live in.

New Orleans - Hot, humid, dirty, and since I generally don't eat things that I can't identify, I'm not into the culinary scene here.

San Antonio - Great Mexican food. Take the mission tour. There are five missions, starting with the Alamo - which is much smaller than I expected. Visit the Riverwalk, which has great shops and restaurants.

San Diego - Very laid back, terrific climate. No idea how people afford to live there. The zoo is the best that I have seen anywhere.

Spokane - Okay, if you like smaller cities. I don't. Eastern Washington is a lot less scenic than I expected.

Washington - Everyone should go at least once, to see all of the iconic buildings. Plan a lot of time at the Smithsonian if you can spare it.

Yellowstone National Park - Exceeded my expectations, which were pretty high.

Foreign cities

Bath - The Roman ruins are among the finest and most complete that you will find anywhere outside of Italy.

Cancun/Tulum - Enjoyed the beach, glad that I chose Tulum to stay in, which is more laid back and less spring breakish than Cancun. A lot more signs in English than I expected, although these thin out as you head south from Cancun.

Hay-on-Wye - Welsh town little known outside the UK. Has become a haven for used books. Anything obscure or out of print can probably be found here in one of the many used book shops around town.

Liverpool - The Beatles and related sites are the main attraction, but there is more to the city than that. Friendly people - if you can understand them. The Beatles Tour leaving from the Beatles Story Museum is worth the price. Saw a brochure in the window of a travel agency for Las Vegas ski trips to Lee Canyon - which is about a 20 minute drive from my house.

London - My favorite city to visit. You can't possibly see everything that there is to see in one visit. Excellent transportation system, have never rented a car. Stay off the Tube during rush hour if you can. The many tour buses that depart from various locations around the city can sell you tickets to most of the major attractions before you get there - which saves you waiting in line when you arrive. It costs no more to do this. If you're into aviation, the RAF Museum Hendon is not to be missed. Take the Tube, Northern Line to Colindale and you're right there.

Paris - More compact than I expected. Have seen the traditional tourist spots. Don't mind visiting for a day or two, wouldn't make it a primary destination. I didn't encounter the legendary rudeness of Parisians, was treated very well there. Fast and efficient subway system.

Salisbury/Stonehenge - Everyone should see this if you get the chance. It is massive.

St. John's (Newfoundland) - Friendliest people on earth, no one is a stranger. I was not surprised at all to hear people stranded in Newfoundland on 9/11 talk about the incredible hospitality on the island. Newfoundland is highly underrated as a tourist destination. You won't find large population centers, but the scenery is worth the trip.

Swansea/Port Talbot - Not a lot of tourists visit this area, which is a shame. A lot of seacoast, and the Welsh are probably the only people I have met who rival Newfoundlanders in terms of hospitality to visitors.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

No idea re: Costco. I tend to book direct, but in large part that's because we tend to travel fairly unstructured and like the freedom to move around so we wouldn't like doing anything that resembled a structured tour through multiple cities. Not sure how the Costco travel works.

I was looking at building an Italy package through Costco, bad idea?

This is my thought.  Not a bad idea to book through Costco.  You will get the package you buy.  And nothing wrong with that.  

But if you go through a very reputable travel agent.  You will get the vacation you want.  

If you go to Italy.  What is really your goal there?  See if their food is as good as In N Out?  (yeah, I had to throw that in there)  Sight see.  Go to a hole in the wall place?  etc etc.  

Here is a for instance.  A friend of mine went to Italy.  Guess they researched it a bit.  And they went to the Vatican.  They reserved like 6 months or so in advance for a special tour that would take you through the Catacombs of the Vatican.  Only so many people get to go a day, in other words, it's very limited.  But from the initial friend, and a friend I recommended it to afterwards.  They said it was well worth it.  

So make the most out of your trip.  

Germany-cool and beautiful

Switzerland-stunning but kind of uptight

France-hated Paris but lots of people love it there.

London-had a blast but wish I could have gotten out of the city

Netherlands-People are really friendly, it is super clean, Amsterdam was cool but I didn't enjoy it as much as I am sure a lot of people do.  Not my cup of tea.

Cambodia-Some places (Siem Reap, Angkor Waht) are simply awesome.  Still a lot of poverty once you get to a side street.  People are resiliant.

Thailand-Love it there.  North in Chaing Mai or south in Phuket is simply beautiful and Bangkok is full of energy.  People are super, super nice.

Going to Angkor Wat is on my bucket list.  Ever since the first time I read about it when I was around 10 years old I have longed to go there.

I am not much of a world traveler.  Borakay beach in the Philippines is amazing as long as your bitch of a girlfriend isn't with you.  White sand and super blue water.  Plus you can buy a truck for like 400 dollars and explore the country side while you are there.  Not a country I would go back to though, Manilla is a total dump and the people there are really sketchy.

This is my thought. Not a bad idea to book through Costco. You will get the package you buy. And nothing wrong with that.

But if you go through a very reputable travel agent. You will get the vacation you want.

If you go to Italy. What is really your goal there? See if their food is as good as In N Out? (yeah, I had to throw that in there) Sight see. Go to a hole in the wall place? etc etc.

Here is a for instance. A friend of mine went to Italy. Guess they researched it a bit. And they went to the Vatican. They reserved like 6 months or so in advance for a special tour that would take you through the Catacombs of the Vatican. Only so many people get to go a day, in other words, it's very limited. But from the initial friend, and a friend I recommended it to afterwards. They said it was well worth it.

So make the most out of your trip.

Yes we will site see and we will also go to hole in the wall places to eat. When I went with INO back in 2005 we were given a private tour of the Vatican including the catacombs. It was incredible, from a historical point of view.

Cities:

Boston, Philly, Atlanta, Memphis, New Orleans, San Antonio, Dallas, St Louis, KC, Denver, Cheyenne, SLC, Albuquerque, Phoenix, Vegas, Reno, San Diego, LA, SF (been through, never stopped...will some day), Boise, Portland, Seattle

States:

WA, OR, CA, AZ, NV, UT, ID, MT, WY, CO, NM, TX, LA, OK, KS, MO, MS, AL, GA, TN, PA, CT, RI, MA, NH, ME

Uncle Sam and McDonnell-Douglas/Boeing/Lockheed-Martin all saw fit to send me to the other side of the globe.

Okinawa- Tiny island with way too many GI's.Great reef diving. Genesis of my inablilty to get drunk without craving yakisoba.

Mainland Japan- Was insanely expensive when I was there but many cool places and people.

Korea- Not everyone's cup of tea but I love Korean food. When they bring out the kimchee tray I try everything. Less friendly than other Asian countries,wspecially in Seoul. Beware of soju. It will sneak up and kick your ass.

Thailand- As MT said, Bangkok is high energy. North area is more traditional Asian while the south is typical SE Asia beach area. Awesome food.

New Zealand- Super laid back and friendly. Might be a bit different since the LOTR series and the influx of tourons.

Bali- A non-stop party with any food you could ask for and great diving spots. Ultimate Asian tourist trap.

Singapore- Cleanest urban area on earth by far. Nice place but a bit pricy and formal for my taste.

Malaysia- Kuala Lumpur is like Bangkok if you took away the charm and outlawed anything fun.

Philippines- Manila is one of the world's true shitholes. Crowded and dangerous and impossible to drive in. Some pretty insane clubs is it's only saving grace. Bohol and Palawan are great diving spots, super friendly but getting there is a pain. Baguio is a great mountain area but nothing special. My likely retirement spot is between Manila and the old Clark Air Base in a city called Mexico. Gated community with a lake and a golf course.

Jordan- Aqaba was a thriving tourist town with nice clubs and beach but the heat means it's only fun for about half the year. Probably sucks since the invasion of refugees from next door. Dead Sea and Petra tour is great but don't try this during summer months.

UAE- Dubai is insanely crowded and has really lost any sense of its past. Best gold souq in the ME. Abu Dhabi is what Dubai used to be. They get great concerts and events that used to be in Dubai. The rest of the Emirates is not worth visiting.

Bahrain- Small island country that's started to get overcrowded but still has some nice places to go and things to do. The international hotels have great buffets and thumping clubs. My current home half the time.

Saudi Arabia- The unlikable and unrelatable culture is matched only by the nasty desert climate. Fortunately I live on a guarded western compound and work on a military base so I can limit my exposure. Unless you are planning a Hajj pilgrimage the only think worthwhile here is some fantastic Red Sea diving. Some great wrecks off the coast and a ton of fish.

Alaska- I spent a year at King Salmon. It's a tiny place at the mouth of the Naknek River as it feeds Bristol Bay. You get King, Red, Silver, and every other year pink salmon runs up the river. There's a place upstream called Brooks Camp where you go stand on the platform and watch the brown bears feast. The caribou come through after the river freezes if you like to hunt. I don't. Other than that it's a tiny place with no roads in or out and an unfriendly local population.

Cold Lake, Canada- A 2 week trip with the Air Force that challenges a man to find the limits of his ability to drink. Not much else happening there.

In the US I've traveled every mile of I-10 and I-95. Also lived in Denver area, St Louis, one training sessions in Akron. Lived in Vegas for 5 years. Haven't lived in California since 1981. Only made a few brief visits since then.

Edited by arch stanton

I've been to 55 of the places listed.

Outside of the US, I really enjoyed my visit to the homeland of Belfast, Ireland.  The people were amazing, and I was able to play baseball with a local team (Belfast Northstars; one of the pioneers of Irish baseball), and a round at Rory Mcilroys' home golf course.  The Bushmills tour was a highlight as well!

Quebec is beautiful, and I found the people to be friendlier than I'd been warned about.

Tempe, AZ is one of my favorite places in the world, but it's probably more due to it being all about a new season of Angels baseball, and beers in the sun/pool.

Great breakdown of octoberfest cals. One of the best times ive ever had, everyone i was around spoke little english, but we got along great.

And yeah, norwegian is my go to. For anyone interested but on a budget, if you plan it out and time it right, norwegian will fly you lax to paris for like 600 round trip. You just have to time it right. And once youre there, you can puddle hop all over europe for dirt cheap

Unfortunately, theres places i really want to see like the pyramids that you cant really go to right now. Id like to knock out the 7 wonders. Anyone been to israel? I heard its a good time, but dont know abyone whos been other than an army buddy when he was younger (sinai mission), so that doesnt really count.

I know people always think Seattle when they consider traveling to WA state.

But you're missing out if you don't check out the Olympic Peninsula (Port Angeles, Sequim, Port Townsend). Even if it's just a drive/ferry ride to and from Seattle to visit that area, there are some spectacular views.

The Bellingham area is nice, too.

I went to Olympic National Park with my girlfriend many years ago. It rained for three days straight and we were stuck in the tent the entire time. It was a really great three days.

Hahaha, doner kabobs!you have to grab one when youre drinking out there.

Yeah, i love norwegian. New, clean planes for cheap.

Damn...i gotta figure out where im going next now. Hoping this thread keeps going awhile. Like the insight from where people have been, hope i get some good new tips on places to see