• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

where have you been

I've been to 30 states and mexico. Never really had the bug for international travel.

Furthest south Ensenada, Furthest north the Montana border. Been on the east coast three times, looking one day to get off this continent before I'm too arthritic to make the trip worth it.

Furthest south Ensenada, Furthest north the Montana border. Been on the east coast three times, looking one day to get off this continent before I'm too arthritic to make the trip worth it.

Yeah me too. Not a priority, but I'd love to see most of the UK. I'm sure my wife will drag us to Italy someday. 

Red, re: German Christmas markets. If you have the chance to go back, the one in Nurenberg blows the Munich Marienplatz one out of the water. It's like a two hour train ride. Well worth going even if you're based in Munich.

Thanks! I've told the wife I'm going to take her back there one year. She has a thing for castles and has always wanted to visit Neuschwanstein and I would love to spend more time in that area. When I went to Munich we flew from India, via London...and I had spent most of the flight in the bathroom shitting up my last Indian meal (which I should note...I knew would happen because after the first time we ate there the same thing happened...but it was so friggen good I figured it would be worth it). I was so beat I actually fell asleep at the dinner table in Innsbruck. I'd like to go back when I'm not a dehydrated shitting zombie.

Bermuda is the only place I've ever been to outside of the continental US, Tijuana, and Canada.

Loved it. 

I really want to go to Europe for 2 weeks and go to a bunch of different cities.  Outside of Europe, I plan on going to Australia in January one of these years to watch the Australian Open. 

Going to be using AirBnB a lot. 

Yeah me too. Not a priority, but I'd love to see most of the UK. I'm sure my wife will drag us to Italy someday. 

If there was only one country I could visit it would be Italy and specifically the southern side to see where my Grandfather came from. My brothers and sisters all went on a family trip with my parents while my wife and I stayed home and took care of my semi invalid younger sister. Let's just say there is a little animosity about that whole affair.

Edited by notti

Germany - Munich was my favorite place there. Good drinking town. Berlin and Dresden are okay.

Amsterdam - Red Light District drunk at 2 a.m. is quite the spectacle. Van Gogh museum is nice. I believe their doctors recommend smoking before doing anything in this town.

Brussels - Awesome city, best food I had in Europe. Musical instruments museum is worth the 3 pounds it costs.

Prague - Amazing city, and also very affordable. Ufleku micro brewery is worth the inevitable hangover.

England - London, Oxford, Liverpool and Newcastle. London obviously has a lot to do and is a fun place, albeit expensive. Oxford isn't really worth the trip to see a bunch of stuck-up English. Liverpool reminded me of Oakland except with all white people and Beatles-stuff. I spent one day going to Beatles-related tourist locations: John's home, Penny Lane, The Cavern Club, Strawberry Fields. A great experience with a surprisingly fun night-life. Newcastle is considered the party town of the UK, has relatively affordable drinks and slutty women. 

Dublin - Meh. I preferred the UK more than this city. Jameson factory is pretty sweet though. I went to see The Pixies/Arcade Fire at Marlay Park here which was a fun outdoor venue (something like 33,000 people).

Belfast - People were very friendly compared to Dublin. I took a ferry from Scotland here (and a few train rides), which is both affordable and pretty easy.

Scotland - My favorite place in the world. Edinburgh is the greatest city I have ever visited... absolutely gorgeous, castle tour, Botanical Gardens, some amazing hikes and historical buildings. I rented a car and checked out a good bit of the highlands. I would recommend going to some tiny villages and tour some of the distilleries, Dufftown is a nice place to do this (Glenfiddich). Loch Ness is a beautiful area with some amazing hikes. Oban is a nice coastal town with a great distillery (Oban 14 is amazing). Isle of Skye is like living in some kind of fairy tale. Absolutely breathtaking views. The fair pool hike is a good one. Glasgow is kind of a piece of shit though.

As you all know I work for the greatest company in the world. While I was a store manager we had the chance to go on trips every year, it was an incentive trip based on a few things. It was a challenge to qualify, however, my strengths coincided with what it took to go on the trip. So in my 11 years as a manager, I went on 7 trips. These trips are basically once in a lifetime trips, where you fly first class, and stay in the nicest hotels the city has. So here it goes, I went to Sydney Australia, then the Hayman Island (just off the coast of Australia) the only thing on the Island was the resort, http://hayman.oneandonlyresorts.com/ we stayed at, from there we went to New Zealand. The following year we went to Dublin and Edinburgh. Went to the Canadian Rockies, stayed in Banff http://www.fairmont.com/banff-springs/ . It was an incredible trip. We went to New York and Iceland. New York we stay at the Waldorf Astoria, which was small, but incredible customer service and the place was immaculate. Iceland was by far my least favorite of all the places we have been. It was before the country went bankrupt and it was incredibly expensive, like $40 for two burgers two fries and two drinks at a regular burger place, or $35 for a medium pizza. There local food was bland and that was before I ate a lot of fish. We went to Miami and stayed at the Ritz Carlton there, then went on a cruise of the Caribean, I don't remember if it was the western or eastern, but it was the one with Jamaica and Haiti. We cruised on the "Freedom of the Seas" which at the time was the largest cruise ship in the world. I also went to Italy, Rome and Venice, with Rome being my favorite city I have ever been to. Lastly, we went to Switzerland, Interlaken and Luassane. In Luassane we stayed at the nicest hotel I have ever stayed at the Beau Rivage Hotel, on lake Geneva http://www.galahotels.com/en/Hotel/SWITZERLAND_217/GENEVA_20342/BEAU_RIVAGE_156805?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=bing_yahoo?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=bing_yahoo. These were all pretty great trips and I highly recommend Italy, Banff, Scotland, Ireland, and Australia.

Thanks! I've told the wife I'm going to take her back there one year. She has a thing for castles and has always wanted to visit Neuschwanstein and I would love to spend more time in that area. When I went to Munich we flew from India, via London...and I had spent most of the flight in the bathroom shitting up my last Indian meal (which I should note...I knew would happen because after the first time we ate there the same thing happened...but it was so friggen good I figured it would be worth it). I was so beat I actually fell asleep at the dinner table in Innsbruck. I'd like to go back when I'm not a dehydrated shitting zombie.

I did this and would recommend it. Crazy King Ludwig II and that is what the Disney castle is modeled after. Only a small portion of the castle is actually finished and available via tour. After likely murdering his doctor and committing suicide, plans to complete his castle were abandoned and it was turned into a tourist attraction. It is a worthwhile tour though for sure, and the view at the top is great. Unfortunately, you can't take pictures inside though.

Germany - Munich was my favorite place there. Good drinking town. Berlin and Dresden are okay.

Amsterdam - Red Light District drunk at 2 a.m. is quite the spectacle. Van Gogh museum is nice. I believe their doctors recommend smoking before doing anything in this town.

Brussels - Awesome city, best food I had in Europe. Musical instruments museum is worth the 3 pounds it costs.

Prague - Amazing city, and also very affordable. Ufleku micro brewery is worth the inevitable hangover.

England - London, Oxford, Liverpool and Newcastle. London obviously has a lot to do and is a fun place, albeit expensive. Oxford isn't really worth the trip to see a bunch of stuck-up English. Liverpool reminded me of Oakland except with all white people and Beatles-stuff. I spent one day going to Beatles-related tourist locations: John's home, Penny Lane, The Cavern Club, Strawberry Fields. A great experience with a surprisingly fun night-life. Newcastle is considered the party town of the UK, has relatively affordable drinks and slutty women.

Dublin - Meh. I preferred the UK more than this city. Jameson factory is pretty sweet though. I went to see The Pixies/Arcade Fire at Marlay Park here which was a fun outdoor venue (something like 33,000 people).

Belfast - People were very friendly compared to Dublin. I took a ferry from Scotland here (and a few train rides), which is both affordable and pretty easy.

Scotland - My favorite place in the world. Edinburgh is the greatest city I have ever visited... absolutely gorgeous, castle tour, Botanical Gardens, some amazing hikes and historical buildings. I rented a car and checked out a good bit of the highlands. I would recommend going to some tiny villages and tour some of the distilleries, Dufftown is a nice place to do this (Glenfiddich). Loch Ness is a beautiful area with some amazing hikes. Oban is a nice coastal town with a great distillery (Oban 14 is amazing). Isle of Skye is like living in some kind of fairy tale. Absolutely breathtaking views. The fair pool hike is a good one. Glasgow is kind of a piece of shit though.

Ediburgh was fantastic, much better than Dublin. I loved visiting the castles and visiting St Andrews. I didn't play it, but I made sure I walked a bit of it, including the bridge on 17.

I unfortunately didn't make it to St. Andrews as it was too far out our way. And yes, Edinburgh is much much nicer and more fun than Dublin. I would move there in a second if it were at all feasible. At one time, I was dating a Scottish chick and we talked about getting married and moving there. In retrospect, that was probably her best quality. 

I think if you don't include aiports, I have been to more countries than states, it is at least close.

I've never thought about that, here's my breakdown.

Countries (10): Scotland, England, Northern Ireland, Ireland, Germany, Czech Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Canada and Mexico.

States (7): California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, New York, Virginia, and New Jersey (and I'm still trying to get rid of that smell).

I really need to do more traveling.

I loved Edinburgh, only had the opportunity to spend one day there as we were actually in Glasgow to see the Pogues play. Glasgow is kind of a shithole as someone mentioned. Food was awful in Scotland...they even import special Tobasco with no flavor.

Also spent time in the Trossachs region of Scotland and it was fabulous.

Someone mentioned they weren't a fan of Dublin. I thought Dublin was ok, but to me Ireland is the southern/western coast where you can in to those small towns, with their pubs, and the amazing coastlines. With both sides of the family coming from Ireland I could feel the pull. Absolutely loved the place. find a small pub, order real Guiness, and listen to the locals show up and start playing music.

Edited by red321

California

Washington

Nevada

Hawaii

Utah

Arizona

Texas

North Dakota

Philadelphia

New York

Florida

Louisiana

Went to an amusement park on New Jersey four years ago on the same day they had an earthquake. It might be very close to 4 years to the day.

If you include taking a drive through Jersey and Maryland on our way to DC from Philly then those two I guess.

We are literally booking a flight to Barcelona as I type....pain in the ass trying to game the frequent flyer system on American without going through London (any London FF ticket gets hit with a $300+ tax...per person...each way...suddenly you are paying $1200 along with 120k worth of miles).

One thing I would suggest when planning trips, go to photography websites and photography guides for a specific location. You discover a lot of non tourist areas and out of the way locations.

Dang I need to travel more, there's a lot of places I'd love to see.  Other than the Los Cabos (Mexico) region twice, and Vancouver/Whistler, the only other country I've visited has been Australia. Stayed in Sydney for a couple nights with a college friend (Aussie who was a transfer student at the time). We partied, and he showed my wife and I all around the city. It was a fricken blast. It's nice to be shown all the interesting areas without having to waste your time figuring out where to go. We then drove north up the coast and stayed in a few smaller towns, enjoying the scenery, hiking and surfing.  The beaches are incredible, just wide open spaces. We made it up to Coolangata for a couple days then flew home out of Brisbane.  Such a cool trip. Easy driving (although driving a stick shift, on the passenger side, on the other side of the road and navigating busy roundabouts was interesting), food was good for the most part although you can only eat so many meat pies and I was craving good mexican food after a few days. People are cool as heck, just genuinely caring and funny people you meet everywhere. Lots of bars and pubs, and its definitely a treat having your wife drive while I throw down a couple beers in the passenger seat, all legal.

Family trips usually consist of Hawaii, been going every year for the past 14.  Next year we might have to mix it up and go somewhere else.

Quick thoughts...

Barcelona Spain area...we are thinking about booking two weeks. Thoughts?

We were there for about a week and when we got there the cabbie told us where we were staying about a mile north of La Rambla was nice because La Rambla is crowded, noisy and a tourist trap.  2 other locals told us the same thing and said when it comes to where you spend your time and where you eat there are much better places to be.  We found ourselves around Avenida Diagonal much more (plenty of shopping and food) which was partially due to where we stayed but also because after going to La Rambla once we didn't feel the need to go back.  Wherever you are watch your wallet (notices in airport when you arrive telling you this) but If you go to La Rambla you really need to watch your wallet and if you want to stop and look at a map or your phone to see where you are it's recommended you do it somewhere in doors so as not to stand out. 

I'd recommend going to Familia Sagrada and we just got tickets online that we picked up when we got there instead of going with a tour that cost more.  You can get audio guides that will allow you to go at your own pace and by ordering beforehand you avoid the long ticket line.  As a photographer you'll love the architecture (Gaudi) and the pictures you'll be able to take there.  As I mentioned earlier I'd recommend Sitges just be aware some of the bars or bar areas at night might not be where you want to take kids.  To be fair we weren't there at night but there were flyers for parties they had and they do have festivals that would look like something put on in the Castro District.  It is a beautiful little town on the Mediterranean and while we were there at the beginning of summer the beach was way laid back and better than anything you'd find in most OC beaches as far as crowds and the laid back vibe go.  We did a Freixet tour from Barcelona that took us to Sitges after with a trip to the Bacardi house where they teach you to make a Mojito and it was well worth the $50 or so per person.  You could do a train to Sitges which was reasonably priced (think like $10 or less per person each way) and they have 3 stations from Barcelona that will get you there in 45-60 minutes if you want more free time there or to stay a few nights.  The PIcasso museum was nice and of course eating Paella is a must when you're there.  

We were there for about a week and when we got there the cabbie told us where we were staying about a mile north of La Rambla was nice because La Rambla is crowded, noisy and a tourist trap.  2 other locals told us the same thing and said when it comes to where you spend your time and where you eat there are much better places to be.  We found ourselves around Avenida Diagonal much more (plenty of shopping and food) which was partially due to where we stayed but also because after going to La Rambla once we didn't feel the need to go back.  Wherever you are watch your wallet (notices in airport when you arrive telling you this) but If you go to La Rambla you really need to watch your wallet and if you want to stop and look at a map or your phone to see where you are it's recommended you do it somewhere in doors so as not to stand out. 

I'd recommend going to Familia Sagrada and we just got tickets online that we picked up when we got there instead of going with a tour that cost more.  You can get audio guides that will allow you to go at your own pace and by ordering beforehand you avoid the long ticket line.  As a photographer you'll love the architecture (Gaudi) and the pictures you'll be able to take there.  As I mentioned earlier I'd recommend Sitges just be aware some of the bars or bar areas at night might not be where you want to take kids.  To be fair we weren't there at night but there were flyers for parties they had and they do have festivals that would look like something put on in the Castro District.  It is a beautiful little town on the Mediterranean and while we were there at the beginning of summer the beach was way laid back and better than anything you'd find in most OC beaches as far as crowds and the laid back vibe go.  We did a Freixet tour from Barcelona that took us to Sitges after with a trip to the Bacardi house where they teach you to make a Mojito and it was well worth the $50 or so per person.  You could do a train to Sitges which was reasonably priced (think like $10 or less per person each way) and they have 3 stations from Barcelona that will get you there in 45-60 minutes if you want more free time there or to stay a few nights.  The PIcasso museum was nice and of course eating Paella is a must when you're there.  

well, looks like this is happening...I blame this thread. This morning we weren't even discussing a trip and 4 hours later we've booked and paid for a flight to Spain.

Thanks Cat. We usually stay away from the tourist areas or try and limit ourselves to a day or two. I'm going to jot those items down.

Right now we are tentatively thinking a 4-5 days around Barcelona, a few days in the Pyrenees, and 4-5 days along the coast near Marseille. I'm sure once I start location planning things will change.