• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Spin Forum Dumping Bin

• Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason

• Taylor

• St1ck

• Lhalo

https://www.chicagotribune.com/politics/ct-mayor-lori-lightfoot-eddie-johnson-ousted-20191202-lhqimuqmdrasze5etkxweac66y-story.html

Mayor Lori Lightfoot fired police Superintendent Eddie Johnson effective immediately Monday for intentionally misleading her and the public about his conduct when he was found asleep in his running vehicle at a stop sign after a late weeknight out in October.

character_large_332x363_carl.jpg

39 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I found this article deeply depressing and rather hopeless.  @Taylor @mtangelsfan @Tank

Wow, what an article. There's nothing in there that surprises me, and nothing that will convince the Trump faithful to self reflect. But it's an honest and enlightening glimpse into the utter hypocrisy of the evangelical right.

22 minutes ago, Taylor said:

But it's an honest and enlightening glimpse into the utter hypocrisy of the evangelical right.

Dude - the world is full of hypocrites on both sides and in all religions.  None of us are perfect... far form it. That's why we need... well, you know.

I have to think that for most evangelicals it's a "the ends justify the means" thing. Which I think is the case with most politicians and the people that support them. I think it's pretty rare that any politician on a national stage (read: I think there are the occasional morally legit local politicians) actually believes 100% of the agenda they're pushing or is totally true to the image they attempt to project.

All that said, I think it's a bit grosser with Trump and evangelicals than other relationships of political convenience.

I think that there’s a very significant problem with demanding national life be governed and dictated by an expectation that the end times are imminent.  That seems be a primary motivator.  I’m not sure how that can be negotiated with.  It makes me doubt the viability of the American project. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

17 minutes ago, calscuf said:

Without me making a snarky remark, can you, as an intelligent Christian try to explain?

A large percentage of Christians have elevated particular issues and (like Don says) taken an "ends justify the means" approach to defending those issues. If someone, anyone, pays lip service to those issues, they'll defend that person and talk themselves into believing that that person is someone worth defending.

Yes, every side does it. Yes, the Democrats are full of hypocrites. But in my opinion, as a "white evangelical" myself, it's never been so blatantly hypocritical as the evangelical right's emphatic support of Donald Trump.

13 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Dude - the world is full of hypocrites on both sides and in all religions.  None of us are perfect... far form it. That's why we need... well, you know.

That's why we need Jesus. Not the Republicans. Not the Democrats. Not Donald Trump. Not Bernie Sanders.

The evangelical right's support of Trump is cult-like. Again, there are cult-like supporters of Democratic politicians. But when people say they support a particular candidate because it's God will to do so, that's a problem.

More Republican wisdom in their headlong rush to prove that they care about the unborn (after you're born, they don't give a damn about you unless you're a billionaire, but I digress). I'm guessing that the morons who drafted this bill have no idea what an ectopic pregnancy even is. It is potentially life threatening, it cannot result in a birth, but prompt treatment can save the mother's life. It is probably also inconsequential to these idiots that the procedure to comply with the law does not exist in modern medicine.

Ohio bill orders doctors to ‘reimplant ectopic pregnancy’ or face 'abortion murder' charges

a very interesting article from the rolling stone. thanks for tagging me in it, UTH.

I think in politics on the national level, you do what you can to appeal to your base. trump's base includes a ton of christians, so it's not surprising he makes decisions that will make them happy and want to vote for him again. we see this kind of pandering from pretty much all candidates these days, because if they say the right things to the right groups, those groups will rally in support of the candidate and help push them into office, which is their goal all along, and not necessarily to become like those people who are supporting them. 

I'm bothered by the idea of us becoming a christian nation as a means to all Americans being saved in God's kingdom. In the days of Israel, there were different circumstances being dealt with in trying to establish a national identity along with a spiritual identity. those conditions have changed considerably since the Bible was written, and I don't agree with anyone's interpretation that our nation is going to be saved. christianity is a personal experience, and individuals will be saved, not nations - at least that's how I read it. should we as a nation try to lead as many people to Jesus as possible? absolutely. are we as an entire nation going to be saved? not likely at all.

there are a lot of issues in his article that we could spend a considerable amount of time unpacking. could lead to some interesting conversations here.