• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Reality check ahead.....

Ohtaniland

No they signed him because of a lengthy interview process where I'm assuming he explained his vision and how he would keep the team competitive and start on upgrading a dreadful farm system. Which he did.

Was he perfect? Hell no. Did he do an excellent job? In my shitty opinion, yes he did. And in a short 2 months, we have already seen what incompetence leading the way gets us.

Yet the Angels hired him based on 2 months as an interim GM for an incompetent organization. His resume was all about the way he robbed an incompetent Tony Reagins out of Saunders, Corbin and Skaggs for Dan Haren. That was his signature deal and that's what sold the Angels. Although Andrew Friedman is who they really wanted.

Friedman was never going to come here. He knew scioscia's philosophy and the power he holds with the organization. No established successful GM would or will come here while scioscia and maybe even arte is at the helm.

Arte was pretty much forced to choose a young guy trying to establish himself and willing to take a job anywhere. You think scioscia would let a headstrong dude with a track record come to the angels and try to tell him what to do?

Problem is, dipoto actually turned out to be somewhat competent and grew tired of putting up with arte and catorce's shit. And like that he gone, and the angels are left with a sinking ship and a bunch of complacent employees with iron clad contracts

No they signed him because of a lengthy interview process where I'm assuming he explained his vision and how he would keep the team competitive and start on upgrading a dreadful farm system. Which he did.

Was he perfect? Hell no. Did he do an excellent job? In my shitty opinion, yes he did. And in a short 2 months, we have already seen what incompetence leading the way gets us.

28. Los Angeles Angels

3ds_angels86.jpg2014 Rank: 30. 2013 Rank: 30.

TOP 10 PROSPECTS  1. Andrew Heaney, lhp (42)  6. Victor Alcantara, rhp  2. Sean Newcomb, lhp (70)  7. Kyle Kubitza, 3b  3. Cam Bedrosian, rhp  8. Roberto Baldoquin, ss  4. Chris Ellis, rhp  9. Alex Yarbrough, 2b  5. Joe Gatto, rhp 10. Nick Tropeano, rhp

How They Got Here: GM Jerry Dipoto has stopped sacrificing first-round picks, a former constant for the organization, and has churned the edges of the roster with trades, even creative prospect-for-prospect deals. Still, the system is paying for trading prospects such as OF Randal Grichuk and RHP R.J. Alvarez and slow development of 3B Kaleb Cowart, the 2010 first-rounder.

High-Ceiling Sleeper: RHP Eduar Lopez still has a power arm and had some success in his first spell in the U.S., striking out 11.3 per nine innings in the Rookie-level Arizona League.

2015 Rookies: Trade pickups such as Andrew Heaney (Marlins) and Nick Tropeano (Astros) contended for the Opening Day roster, but were reassigned in late March. Still, they provide important rotation depth for a staff that was down to three starters last September. Cam Bedrosian fits into the bullpen mix, and RHP Drew Rucinski, signed out of indy ball, was making waves in spring training to pick up innings either in the bullpen or as rotation insurance.

Friedman was never going to come here. He knew scioscia's philosophy and the power he holds with the organization. No established successful GM would or will come here while scioscia and maybe even arte is at the helm.

Arte was pretty much forced to choose a young guy trying to establish himself and willing to take a job anywhere. You think scioscia would let a headstrong dude with a track record come to the angels and try to tell him what to do?

Problem is, dipoto actually turned out to be somewhat competent and grew tired of putting up with arte and catorce's shit. And like that he gone, and the angels are left with a sinking ship and a bunch of complacent employees with iron clad contracts

Another telling thing is that it took virtually no time for Dipoto to turn up in Boston, where the Red Sox are beginning the process of retooling after two sub par seasons. He will be a GM as soon as he wants to be.

Pretty much my argument. They settled for Dipoto and not getting an established GM following Reagins was a huge mistake.

Reagins 2007-2011 (3 playoff appearances) 371-277 / .572 winning percentage and 15th ranked farm system according to Baseball America

Dipoto 2012-2014 1/2 (1 playoff appearance) 392-334 / .539 winning percentage and 28th ranked farm system according to Baseball America

One could argue that the Angels had more success under Reagins rather than Dipoto.

Another telling thing is that it took virtually no time for Dipoto to turn up in Boston, where the Red Sox are beginning the process of retooling after two sub par seasons. He will be a GM as soon as he wants to be.

He's a part time paid consultant. Boston needs a GM. Why not Dipoto? Because they don't want him as a GM.

He's a part time paid consultant. Boston needs a GM. Why not Dipoto? Because they don't want him as a GM.

They aren't going to hire a new GM during the season. They are far out of contention and there are no more moves to be made between now and October. If they weren't interested in what he had to offer, he wouldn't have been brought in.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

They aren't going to hire a new GM during the season. They are far out of contention and there are no more moves to be made between now and October. If they weren't interested in what he had to offer, he wouldn't have been brought in.

MIAMI -- The Boston Red Sox have hired former Los Angeles Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto as a consultant to help in player evaluation and offseason planning, the team confirmed Wednesday. The role is not a permanent position.

He won't be given any large decision making role in Boston.

Boston is in the market for a GM.

How does Dombrowski view the duties of his GM?

"I think the job is a very large job, as far as responsibilities are concerned," Dombrowski said. "There's a lot of work to be done. The Red Sox, in addition to the things I've talked about, they pursue talent all over the world. I think that having a front office that's large, that works together on the same page, will be important.

"I really don't have a specific [thought of], 'This is the leading candidate for a general manager at this time.' They will assist and work with me day in and day out on basically everything. It will be a responsibility that we will share."

Pretty much my argument. They settled for Dipoto and not getting an established GM following Reagins was a huge mistake.

Reagins 2007-2011 (3 playoff appearances) 371-277 / .572 winning percentage and 15th ranked farm system according to Baseball America

Dipoto 2012-2014 1/2 (1 playoff appearance) 392-334 / .539 winning percentage and 28th ranked farm system according to Baseball America

One could argue that the Angels had more success under Reagins rather than Dipoto.

One could also argue that Reagis was the beneficiary of the work Stoneman did before he got hired. You could also argue Reagins ran this team down the drain when Dipoto took over he had to undo all his screw ups.

One could also argue that Reagis was the beneficiary of the work Stoneman did before he got hired. You could also argue Reagins ran this team down the drain when Dipoto took over he had to undo all his screw ups.

One could argue that they both hit and missed but really sucked. We had 98 wins last season so what does Reagins have to do with 2015's fail?

Using farm team rankings to defend your position on Dipoto weakens your argument because farm team rankings are about as meaningful as pennant race predictions in January. At one time, the Angels had a farm system that Baseball America rated as one of the best in baseball. Remember when Casey Kotchman, Jeff Mathis, Dallas McPherson, Steve Shell, Brandon Wood, Reggie Willits were going to make the Angels a powerhouse for many seasons. As all of us here are well aware, each of these highly rated prospects turned out to be a bust. 

Using farm team rankings to defend your position on Dipoto weakens your argument because farm team rankings are about as meaningful as pennant race predictions in January. At one time, the Angels had a farm system that Baseball America rated as one of the best in baseball. Remember when Casey Kotchman, Jeff Mathis, Dallas McPherson, Steve Shell, Brandon Wood, Reggie Willits were going to make the Angels a powerhouse for many seasons. As all of us here are well aware, each of these highly rated prospects turned out to be a bust.

But the core of the team is Trout, Calhoun, Aybar, Richards and Weaver which were all under Stoneman and or Reagins.

But the core of the team is Trout, Calhoun, Aybar, Richards and Weaver which were all under Stoneman and or Reagins.

To criticize Dipoto for not developing a farm system that produces MLB players slows a lack of understanding of the process of drafting and developing MLB players. 

I'm going to exclude Trout from all of this because he is a unique, once in generation player. But each of the other players you mention spent several years in the minor leagues before finally establishing themselves with the Angels. Dipoto was hired in 2011 and it is premature to say his drafts were failures. Dipoto was also hamstrung because the Angels first pick in 2012 was 114 and 59 in 2013. The jury is still out on how many of Dipoto's players in the farm system will be Major League level players. But saying Dipoto never produced a Weaver or Aybar ignores the reality of how long it takes for a player to go from draft choice to Major Leaguer. 

Edited by Coachbulldog

Oh and Soto and Calzone love threads like this.

I think if you read my post prior to this one, you might think twice about including me in this sentence.

I don't care about Dipoto, just like i don't care about Hamilton. They are gone. Do you see me saying anything negative about Dipoto? Or do you just like calling me out on shit that isn't true Scott?