• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Has Scioscia given up?

Torii had a higher OPS+ (122) and WAR (21.2) as an Angels player for 5 years  than as a Twin his previous 5 years in the prime years of his career (109) (18.3)

His last year in Minnesota, his OPS was .839. His first year here, it was .810.

The last established major league player to have his OPS go up in his first year here was Fullmer. From .771 to .888.

Under Scioscia:

The list of established major league players who came here  and got worse, in many cases, waaaaaay worse is a very long one.

The list of established major league players who came here and performed to their career norms is a very short list.

The list of established major league players who came here and exceeded their career norms may be non-existent.

Maybe, just maybe, if Sosh is going to be the manager, throwing big money at established major leaguers is a very risky proposition Whether it's his fault or not, that strategy has been much less effective under his tenure than developing young players, or acquiring young players with little or no major league experience.

Part of the issue, IMO, is that when veterans start to go in the tank Scioscia just keeps running them out there, with the blind hope that they will "come out of it" - through magic, I suppose. We apparently have no coaches who are capable of deciphering what might be wrong and setting about correcting it.

Part of the issue, IMO, is that when veterans start to go in the tank Scioscia just keeps running them out there, with the blind hope that they will "come out of it" - through magic, I suppose. We apparently have no coaches who are capable of deciphering what might be wrong and setting about correcting it.

Just maybe Scioscia is told to play them. They pay these veterans millions in case you forgot.

Generally speaking, winning teams aren't looking for managers. You find the occasional situation in which a successful one retires, but most of the vacancies are on bad clubs.

Right, that is what I am saying. It is pretty unlikely he goes to a better team than the Angels, as mediocre as they are this season. Maybe the Dodgers, but would Friedman really go after him?

Right, that is what I am saying. It is pretty unlikely he goes to a better team than the Angels, as mediocre as they are this season. Maybe the Dodgers, but would Friedman really go after him?

Depends upon what happens the rest of the way up the I-5. If LA loses the division to the Giants or they flop in the playoffs again, they may make a move in the dugout.

Simply having Curry ask Sosh wouldn't make a difference. However, if she were buck naked when she asked, it may catch him off guard and he may give an insightful answer.

Hopefully if she is unavailable they don't send Jose Mota :(

The last time an established Major League hitter joined the Angels and his OPS increased from the previous season?

Brad Fullmer 2002.

Since the World Series, other than Vladdy and Torii, pretty much every guy who was a consistently good hitter before he got here has had his performance drop considerably. Seems to me with that high return of failure, spending money on player development and signing international players would have been a much better investment.

Try using OPS+

A player coming from a place like Colorado is going to have a tough time increasing his OPS hitting in a pitcher's park.

Just maybe Scioscia is told to play them. They pay these veterans millions in case you forgot.

I think he puts veterans out there because they should produce.   They should be able to figure stuff out if they are in a slump.  They're being paid millions, they should be able to figure crap out.   Angela Stadium is a pitcher's park. Figure it out if you can't hit it out of the park.  The Blue Jays did.

Like strad said, blame sosh for whats his fault (lineups), blame the FO for their fault (roster)

As far as the narrative of guys coming here and bombing, you guys really think thats on sosh? Firstly, plenty of guys before him did the same. Mo vaughn for example. I think its a good discussion topic, but it cant be argued without at least breaking down the guys were talking about. Guys like abreu and matsui may have dipped, but they were also at the tail end of their careers. Texeira sure didnt seem to be demotivated by sosh...

Butcher ysed to catch hell here. Now our pitching is pretty decent, and thats gone away (mostly). Is it becausw he changed his ways? Or is it because weve improved the staff?

The problem post 2002 was that we never really built an offense to compete. We had a good one a handful of years, but after GA got arthritus we usually lacked the other slugger to back vlad. And the teams we were competing with (boston and ny) had all kinds of hitting.

Up until the second half of last year, the bullpen was a wreck for 5 years or so. Realistically since franky and shields left. So we can say sosh should have won with the team he had in 2012, but thats forgetting we had isringhausen, hawkins and a very unreliable jordan walden as the back end of the pen. Couple that with very poor years from santana and haren, and its pretty easy to figure out what the problem was.

2013 we still had offense, but we had a staff that included blanton and hansen. And after they were done giving up their customary 6 runs, we still had a dogshit bullpen...let it sink in that frieri was still our best bullpen arm that year...

As far as this season,we have a young pitching staff. Theres gonna be growing pains. Our bullpen is pretty meager outside of 2 guys. Our offense that runs out every night features trout and pujols, who are slumping, and aybar/calhoun...after that, its gio whos replacement level. A merry go round of crap at 3B. Until recently the probably soon to be retired joyce (who was slipping in TB), and iannetta whos probably freaking the hell out with his slump and a contract on the line.

The offense was very good last year. But it had a completely different iannetta, a decent (eons ahead of joyce) hamilton, howie, and freese whos a ton better than gillespie/cowart (so far). Thats a pretty big turnover. Cant really pin it on sosh that we dont have better options.

And for the record, i have no problem replacing sosh. Its just that there are more pressing problems...by a landslide.

i consider this more a reflection of what happens when you let the hens rule the henhouse. the dugout is the FO of this team and that includes pujols.

To be fair .... Jerry knows crap about managing a clubhouse much less a team. He's there to build a roster not rule the henhouse.

I'm guessing he found out the hard way.

Edited by Troll Daddy