• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Nets down the foul lines?

laagamer

I'm honestly sick of reading about this.

One of the main safety guidelines at a baseball game is to actually watch the game

If they put nets down both foul lines I probably won't attend another game. 

Just my opinion. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/players-urge-action-fan-hurt-foul-ball-185414221--mlb.html

Yes, you need to be vigilant when you're attending a game, but what the players said here is correct: those baseballs move so quickly that most people don't have time to react. It's often hard to see exactly where the ball is. Not to mention that if everyone's jostling to try to catch the ball, there's often nowhere for a person to move to get out of the way.

They've had a number of very serious injuries this year, so I think it is only a matter of time before this happens. And if even the players are advocating for it, I think it needs to happen. They don't want to wait until there's a casualty, the way there was in NHL hockey.

I've sat behind the nets they already have. It's honestly not a big deal. The only thing that I think would be a bummer with it would be that it would become impossible for fans to get autographs at the dugouts.

Edited by AngelsSurfer

I dunno, maybe get off your freakin' phone and bring a glove to the game the way people did in the past few decades, and maybe, just maybe you wouldn't be in the hospital and no stupid law suit would be needed.  

Instead, you'd probably have enjoyed a game and even caught a foul ball as a trophy.  Sounds like a pretty good night to me. 

I dunno, maybe get off your freakin' phone and bring a glove to the game the way people did in the past few decades, and maybe, just maybe you wouldn't be in the hospital and no stupid law suit would be needed.

Instead, you'd probably have enjoyed a game and even caught a foul ball as a trophy. Sounds like a pretty good night to me.

I've fielded (read: deflected) foul balls heading for my face. As a young adult with decent reflexes that's not so bad. But for elderly folks or kids that's a bit dicey.

And the people calling for this net especially have a point nowadays when the parks have all sorts of monitors and crap designed to distract people.

Why do we award a highly trained athlete a free base for getting hit by a 96 mph fastball? He should've been paying attention right?

But a non athletic fan sitting next to the dugout must have the ability to get out of the way of a hit ball traveling 130+mph?

Why do the base coaches wear helmets? They're supposed to be paying attention right?

A ball traveling at a high rate of speed can be deflected by the guy sitting directly in front of you. If that's not dangerous then what's the point of a catchers mask?

Edited by CALZONE

I am not bothered by the nets.  Heck nets are in front of the most expensive seats in the stadium.  

As a safety precaution, it's not a bad idea.  In some stadiums, even if you have a glove, you might not even be able to react to it fast enough.  Like Boston and Chicago.  And before people get all macho and say no way.  I've seen a good group of AW.com people play softball, they wouldn't be able to react to some of the bullets.  Although the quality of players has gotten pretty good lately at summer fanfest.  

Also, when a shattered bat is heading towards you, it's not an easy task to grab/block it.  

I am not bothered by the nets.  Heck nets are in front of the most expensive seats in the stadium.  

As a safety precaution, it's not a bad idea.  In some stadiums, even if you have a glove, you might not even be able to react to it fast enough.  Like Boston and Chicago.  And before people get all macho and say no way.  I've seen a good group of AW.com people play softball, they wouldn't be able to react to some of the bullets.  Although the quality of players has gotten pretty good lately at summer fanfest.  

Also, when a shattered bat is heading towards you, it's not an easy task to grab/block it.  

Great points, especially about the shattered bats. A glove won't do a bloody thing to block that.

Spectators are just that -- spectators. They don't have the reflexes or skill that the players have, so expecting them to bring gloves and field foul balls in the stands to avoid getting hit is ridiculous anyway, IMHO. Yes, people should pay attention and should not be on their phones, but even if you're paying attention to every single pitch you can still get hit.

Plus, when the players are trying to field, they don't have 50 people crushed around them also trying to field, or rows of seats blocking them from moving in all directions.

Edited by AngelsSurfer

When you buy seats on the lower level you know the risks involved. I am so tired of everybody trying to create this safe little world to live in.  Maybe you should stay home and watch the game from the safety of your living room. Your more likely to be injured on the way to the game than sitting in the stands. If your worried about buy seats in the upper levels.

When you buy seats on the lower level you know the risks involved. I am so tired of everybody trying to create this safe little world to live in.  Maybe you should stay home and watch the game from the safety of your living room. Your more likely to be injured on the way to the game than sitting in the stands. If your worried about buy seats in the upper levels.

Absolutely.....why should a hockey goalie wear a mask if he knows the puck is coming? Every parent who sits with their child behind the dugout should be arrested for child endangerment. Base coaches wearing helmets? What for? It's safe out there!

When you buy seats on the lower level you know the risks involved. I am so tired of everybody trying to create this safe little world to live in. Maybe you should stay home and watch the game from the safety of your living room. Your more likely to be injured on the way to the game than sitting in the stands. If your worried about buy seats in the upper levels.

Yeah, screw that safe little world crap. I think they should do away with all metal detectors, do away with TSA, allow texting while driving, do away with speed limits on roads and freeways, and make sure all types of food have some kind of fat content.

Yeah, screw that safe little world crap. I think they should do away with all metal detectors, do away with TSA, allow texting while driving, do away with speed limits on roads and freeways, and make sure all types of food have some kind of fat content.

Seat belts and air bags also serve no purpose.