• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Meanwhile Yoenis Céspedes

JoJo26

This is a plain cake with no icing on it.

.000 across the board.

He needs another year or two in AAA. Too bad we let Gillaspie go. Now we have no choice but Cowart until Freese gets back. We rushed the kid to the big stage, assuming he would be just fine. As someone yesterday pointed out, there are not too many pitchers in AAA with pinpoint control throwing 92 mph.

My comment was about whether or not they are ruining him or being unfair to him. Why would you assume he'd be just fine? You don't expect a learning or adjustment period? He probably needs more time in the minors but two years, is basically you projecting your doomsday everything is awful narrative.

We are talking about Connor Gillaspie we replaced. He was hitting about .200 for the Angels. Let Cowart get his first taste of the majors and get his feet wet. I'm sure he isn't as bad as he's been and I've liked his defense.

shutterstock_118908841.jpg

"Here kid, have some of this David Price broccoli. It's good for you!"

Edited by fan_since79

My comment was about whether or not they are ruining him or being unfair to him. Why would you assume he'd be just fine? You don't expect a learning or adjustment period? He probably needs more time in the minors but two years, is basically you projecting your doomsday everything is awful narrative.

He was brought here to inject some offense into a moribund hitting team. Why else would they bring him up now and let Gillaspie, a veteran, go? Cowart was having a lot of success at AAA. Why would they expect a "learning or adjustment period"? Why do that in the midst of a pennant race with a team deeply struggling on offense? The additional risk is you can kill the kid's confidence. 

And another question. Why is Ryan Jackson on this roster and playing every day? Are we that desperate?

Cowart is replacing Freese next season so there is no more minor league time that will be productive towards him readying for the majors. Gillespie is not in their future plans so he was expendable.

There is very little chance Cespedes is going to be signed by the Angels so you might as well get your bitching over with now.

He was brought here to inject some offense into a moribund hitting team. Why else would they bring him up now and let Gillaspie, a veteran, go? Cowart was having a lot of success at AAA. Why would they expect a "learning or adjustment period"? Why do that in the midst of a pennant race with a team deeply struggling on offense? The additional risk is you can kill the kid's confidence.

And another question. Why is Ryan Jackson on this roster and playing every day? Are we that desperate?

For starters Ryan Jackson isn't playing everyday, but once again if he was its for defensive reasons. As far as Cowart, of course they expected an adjustment period, he's a first time major leaguer. Maybe they were hoping to catch lightning in a bottle, who knows. I'll take the upside and superior defense of Cowart over a .206 hitting, poor defensive Gillaspie. If he struggles another few games bring in Callaspo. I think you'll see Cowart given the job until Freese comes back.

Cowart is replacing Freese next season so there is no more minor league time that will be productive towards him readying for the majors. Gillespie is not in their future plans so he was expendable.

There is very little chance Cespedes is going to be signed by the Angels so you might as well get your bitching over with now.

Imo cowart is adutioning for a spot next season. What has he done to earn a spot as the starting 3rd baseman ? He sucked in the low minors, came out of no where in aaa, then I believe stoll 0'fer here.

Hell no is he the 2016 starting 3rd baseman as of right now. Maybe a bench player

The Angels should exceed the luxury tax this offseason, I just don't think there's any way around that. Bandy will take Iannetta's spot at catcher and shoul provide a minor upgrade from what we've seen from Chris this season, both offensively and defensively. but that won't make the offense suddenly "good". They'll also put Kubitza in at 3B which will be a minor upgrade over Freese and whatever else we've seen this season, but again, probably not going to take the offense where it needs to be. A full year of Cron hitting like he has been will help, but I'm not sure we can put all our eggs in that basket.

Victorino is certainly gone, DeJesus' option won't be picked up, and we'll see on Murphy, but even when he's hitting, he still isn't the answer, he just isn't part of the problem. In order to actually have a good offense, the Angels need both a lead off hitter AND a number 5 hitter. The only two spots where an upgrade is clearly an option are 2B and LF. I think they'll spend on eith Yoenis Cespedes or Jason Heyward for LF, and then assess whether bringing back Howie would be a big enough upgrade over Giavotella.

It should only be a one year excursion past the tax line though. With Weav, Wilson and Smith coming off the books, that'll clear 40 million off the payroll, the following season Hamilton will clear another 25 million.

Heyward, Calhoun, Trout, Pujols, Kendrick, Cron, Aybar, Bandy and Kubitza could definitely do some damage.

The reason I go with Heyward specifically is because he's young, very good defensively and would slot anywhere in the lineup 1-5. That's versatility.

The Angels should exceed the luxury tax this offseason, I just don't think there's any way around that. Bandy will take Iannetta's spot at catcher and shoul provide a minor upgrade from what we've seen from Chris this season, both offensively and defensively. but that won't make the offense suddenly "good". They'll also put Kubitza in at 3B which will be a minor upgrade over Freese and whatever else we've seen this season, but again, probably not going to take the offense where it needs to be. A full year of Cron hitting like he has been will help, but I'm not sure we can put all our eggs in that basket.

Victorino is certainly gone, DeJesus' option won't be picked up, and we'll see on Murphy, but even when he's hitting, he still isn't the answer, he just isn't part of the problem. In order to actually have a good offense, the Angels need both a lead off hitter AND a number 5 hitter. The only two spots where an upgrade is clearly an option are 2B and LF. I think they'll spend on eith Yoenis Cespedes or Jason Heyward for LF, and then assess whether bringing back Howie would be a big enough upgrade over Giavotella.

It should only be a one year excursion past the tax line though. With Weav, Wilson and Smith coming off the books, that'll clear 40 million off the payroll, the following season Hamilton will clear another 25 million.

Heyward, Calhoun, Trout, Pujols, Kendrick, Cron, Aybar, Bandy and Kubitza could definitely do some damage.

The reason I go with Heyward specifically is because he's young, very good defensively and would slot anywhere in the lineup 1-5. That's versatility.

The tax is a small slap on the wrist the first year you are over, even if you are over by a ridiculous amount. It gets progressively more severe  until at 3+ years over you really get blasted (much higher tax rates plus you forfeit your rebate on MLB profit sharing). 

Arte would need to go way, way over on payroll for this team to have a shot at the 2016 wild card coinflip game.

Edited by ScottLux

The tax is a small slap on the wrist the first year you are over, even if you are over by a ridiculous amount. It gets progressively more severe  until at 3+ years over you really get blasted (much higher tax rates plus you forfeit your rebate on MLB profit sharing). 

Arte would need to go way, way over on payroll for this team to have a shot at the 2016 wild card coinflip game.

Not really.  As currently constructed, the Angels are likely between an 80-90 win team, likely settling in somewhere around 86 or 87 wins.  Assuming we get the normal expected production from Trout, Pujols, Calhoun and Aybar, the Angels could end up adding a win or two with Cron, maybe another with Kubitza, and still yet another with Bandy.  If we can assume that Santiago overperformed, and Richards underperformed, the 2016 rotation should be just as good, if not better than the 2015 rotation, largely because we'll be getting Skaggs back, we'll have Heaney for a full year and potentially adding Newcomb, Ellis and Smith into the mix.  Tropeano's only going to get better if he's still here, and there's more depth to follow. 

Without making any moves, it's VERY easy to see the Angels winning 85-90 games again in 2016.  But if they're able to add a couple top or middle of the order hitters via free agency, this team should win 90-95 games in 2016.

Let's also not forget that whichever GM is foolish enough to take this job, they'll be inheriting a team with more pitching depth than any in baseball.  Weav's still kicking, Wilson's coming back, Richards and Heaney are staples, Santiago's rotation-worthy, Skaggs is coming back, Tropeano's ready, Shoemaker's an option, and Newcomb, Ellis and Smith are knocking on the door.  This overabundance will only be compounded in the future when guys like Grayson Long and Joe Gatto are ready to go in 2-3 years.  So to have 8 current rotation worthy candidates and 3 more ready by the end of the year, the new GM shouldn't have a difficult time acquiring offensive talent. 

Now obviously Weaver and Wilson don't have trade value, Shoemaker's is all but gone and Smith lacks the upside to garner attention from other teams.  That still leaves Santiago, Tropeano and Ellis as pitchers with value that the Angels could trade and not be devastated by.  If you consider that the Angels landed David Murphy for Eric Stamets, and Shane Victorino and David DeJesus for virtually nothing, think about the sort of return they could get if they dangled those three pitchers.

The Yankees are desperate for pitching, why not Brett Gardner? Toronto is too, perhaps Joey Bats?  The O's could use some depth in the rotation, maybe Gerardo Parra.  The Red Sox would gladly part ways with either Hanley Ramirez, Jackey Bradley Jr. or even Rusney Castillo if it meant they'd solidify their rotation now and in the future like they would with the package the Angels could offer. If the Tigers are going to go through a full rebuild around Cabrera the way they've hinted, J.D. Martinez looks like a prime target.  Nick Markakis from Atlanta could be a buy low candidate that fits perfectly at the top of the Angels lineup.  Jay Bruce may be an option from the Reds.  Ender Inciarte or Yasmany Tomas could be made available. 

As you can see, the possibilities aren't endless, but they are certainly bountiful.  The Angels could be division favorites with a couple savvy moves and not be under any financial duress. 

Wilson could definitely net you some prospects or maybe a everyday player. Angels would need to eat some of his salary ... depending on the player(s). I'm not so sure they would want to trade him ... I guess it depends on how comfortable they feel with their young arms.

No offense .. but you were hating on CJ before the season started.

Weaver isn't getting traded for many reasons.

Wilson could definitely net you some prospects or maybe a everyday player. Angels would need to eat some of his salary ... depending on the player(s). I'm not so sure they would want to trade him ... I guess it depends on how comfortable they feel with their young arms.

No offense .. but you were hating on CJ before the season started.

Weaver isn't getting traded for many reasons.

C.J. Wilson has had a FIP over 4 in three of the last four years.  He'll be 35 years old next season, coming off a major season ending elbow surgery, is making 20 million dollars and has trade protection against 8 teams. 

I don't find it startling that he has negative trade value, I find it surprising that you legitimately believe C.J. Wilson has so much value that he could bring in return multiple prospects worth having, or a major league ready player worth playing everyday.  

What planet are you living on?

Not really. As currently constructed, the Angels are likely between an 80-90 win team, likely settling in somewhere around 86 or 87 wins. Assuming we get the normal expected production from Trout, Pujols, Calhoun and Aybar, the Angels could end up adding a win or two with Cron, maybe another with Kubitza, and still yet another with Bandy. If we can assume that Santiago overperformed, and Richards underperformed, the 2016 rotation should be just as good, if not better than the 2015 rotation, largely because we'll be getting Skaggs back, we'll have Heaney for a full year and potentially adding Newcomb, Ellis and Smith into the mix. Tropeano's only going to get better if he's still here, and there's more depth to follow.

Without making any moves, it's VERY easy to see the Angels winning 85-90 games again in 2016. But if they're able to add a couple top or middle of the order hitters via free agency, this team should win 90-95 games in 2016.

Let's also not forget that whichever GM is foolish enough to take this job, they'll be inheriting a team with more pitching depth than any in baseball. Weav's still kicking, Wilson's coming back, Richards and Heaney are staples, Santiago's rotation-worthy, Skaggs is coming back, Tropeano's ready, Shoemaker's an option, and Newcomb, Ellis and Smith are knocking on the door. This overabundance will only be compounded in the future when guys like Grayson Long and Joe Gatto are ready to go in 2-3 years. So to have 8 current rotation worthy candidates and 3 more ready by the end of the year, the new GM shouldn't have a difficult time acquiring offensive talent.

Now obviously Weaver and Wilson don't have trade value, Shoemaker's is all but gone and Smith lacks the upside to garner attention from other teams. That still leaves Santiago, Tropeano and Ellis as pitchers with value that the Angels could trade and not be devastated by. If you consider that the Angels landed David Murphy for Eric Stamets, and Shane Victorino and David DeJesus for virtually nothing, think about the sort of return they could get if they dangled those three pitchers.

The Yankees are desperate for pitching, why not Brett Gardner? Toronto is too, perhaps Joey Bats? The O's could use some depth in the rotation, maybe Gerardo Parra. The Red Sox would gladly part ways with either Hanley Ramirez, Jackey Bradley Jr. or even Rusney Castillo if it meant they'd solidify their rotation now and in the future like they would with the package the Angels could offer. If the Tigers are going to go through a full rebuild around Cabrera the way they've hinted, J.D. Martinez looks like a prime target. Nick Markakis from Atlanta could be a buy low candidate that fits perfectly at the top of the Angels lineup. Jay Bruce may be an option from the Reds. Ender Inciarte or Yasmany Tomas could be made available.

As you can see, the possibilities aren't endless, but they are certainly bountiful. The Angels could be division favorites with a couple savvy moves and not be under any financial duress.

Just say no to Hanley. The Red Sox have learned that his offense does not make up for how much of a defensive liability he is. I think they'd be happy to unload him for next to nothing if they could find someone willing to take on his contract.

I could see him being a full time DH for some team not having an old guy like Albert.

Just say no to Hanley. The Red Sox have learned that his offense does not make up for how much of a defensive liability he is. I think they'd be happy to unload him for next to nothing if they could find someone willing to take on his contract.

I could see him being a full time DH for some team not having an old guy like Albert.

Yeah pretty much.  As a DH he can still hit .280 with 20 HR's and full in on occasion at 3B, LF and SS.  On occasion. 

Not really. As currently constructed, the Angels are likely between an 80-90 win team, likely settling in somewhere around 86 or 87 wins. Assuming we get the normal expected production from Trout, Pujols, Calhoun and Aybar, the Angels could end up adding a win or two with Cron, maybe another with Kubitza, and still yet another with Bandy. If we can assume that Santiago overperformed, and Richards underperformed, the 2016 rotation should be just as good, if not better than the 2015 rotation, largely because we'll be getting Skaggs back, we'll have Heaney for a full year and potentially adding Newcomb, Ellis and Smith into the mix. Tropeano's only going to get better if he's still here, and there's more depth to follow.

Without making any moves, it's VERY easy to see the Angels winning 85-90 games again in 2016. But if they're able to add a couple top or middle of the order hitters via free agency, this team should win 90-95 games in 2016.

Let's also not forget that whichever GM is foolish enough to take this job, they'll be inheriting a team with more pitching depth than any in baseball. Weav's still kicking, Wilson's coming back, Richards and Heaney are staples, Santiago's rotation-worthy, Skaggs is coming back, Tropeano's ready, Shoemaker's an option, and Newcomb, Ellis and Smith are knocking on the door. This overabundance will only be compounded in the future when guys like Grayson Long and Joe Gatto are ready to go in 2-3 years. So to have 8 current rotation worthy candidates and 3 more ready by the end of the year, the new GM shouldn't have a difficult time acquiring offensive talent.

Now obviously Weaver and Wilson don't have trade value, Shoemaker's is all but gone and Smith lacks the upside to garner attention from other teams. That still leaves Santiago, Tropeano and Ellis as pitchers with value that the Angels could trade and not be devastated by. If you consider that the Angels landed David Murphy for Eric Stamets, and Shane Victorino and David DeJesus for virtually nothing, think about the sort of return they could get if they dangled those three pitchers.

The Yankees are desperate for pitching, why not Brett Gardner? Toronto is too, perhaps Joey Bats? The O's could use some depth in the rotation, maybe Gerardo Parra. The Red Sox would gladly part ways with either Hanley Ramirez, Jackey Bradley Jr. or even Rusney Castillo if it meant they'd solidify their rotation now and in the future like they would with the package the Angels could offer. If the Tigers are going to go through a full rebuild around Cabrera the way they've hinted, J.D. Martinez looks like a prime target. Nick Markakis from Atlanta could be a buy low candidate that fits perfectly at the top of the Angels lineup. Jay Bruce may be an option from the Reds. Ender Inciarte or Yasmany Tomas could be made available.

As you can see, the possibilities aren't endless, but they are certainly bountiful. The Angels could be division favorites with a couple savvy moves and not be under any financial duress.

Our pitching prospects with #2/#3 ceilings can't net half those players you listed

ZERO change the front office makes a major money signing this off season.   Snake bit doesn't begin to describe them right now and even if they were not its clear the luxury tax matters more than winning.

We have the best player on the planet, we should be cashing in with titles right now but instead of shopping at Macys we are going dumpster diving at Walmart.

I predict a few years of very bad baseball till we get rid of some of the bad contracts and we better pray Trout doesnt have an opt out somewhere we dont know about. 

Yes, im pissed

Is this the decision they came to as a staff?  How was the meeting?  Did they have doughnuts or muffins?   BTW, they brought him up and let the veteran go because Mike Scioscia hates young guys and never plays them.