• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The offseason

TroutField

2B absolutely must be improved this offseason. It's entirely unacceptable to continue to play somebody as awful as Giavotella there. Sure, we need to sort C and LF but 2B is just as important to fix.

Disagree. Not saying Angels don't need to upgrade 2B, but C is involved in every pitch of the game, and Iannetta sucks on offense and defense. That position has been a black hole all year. LF is supposed to be a position you get a lot of offense from - again, it's been a black hole all year. Relative to other 2B, Gia hasn't been great, but he's been OK. Again, I wouldn't mind seeing them upgrade 2B, but I don't think it's nearly as much a priority as C or LF. 

Disagree. Not saying Angels don't need to upgrade 2B, but C is involved in every pitch of the game, and Iannetta sucks on offense and defense. That position has been a black hole all year. LF is supposed to be a position you get a lot of offense from - again, it's been a black hole all year. Relative to other 2B, Gia hasn't been great, but he's been OK. Again, I wouldn't mind seeing them upgrade 2B, but I don't think it's nearly as much a priority as C or LF. 

I'm not sure in what world being 19th out of 21 qualified 2B in terms of WAR counts as 'okay'. He's freaking terrible.

That has to be because of his fielding, right? Where does his oWAR rank?

16th out of 21. 16th in wRC+, 19th in wOBA.

The idea that his bat makes up for his defensive shortcomings (which frankly is a pretty kind term to describe Gia's lack of ability at 2B) is one of the bigger myths going around this season. He's mediocre offensively and terrible defensively.

I disagree with this statement. Not spending big bucks this offseason doesn't necessarily mean he isn't committed to winning. Sometimes the most prudent thing to do is sit tight and regroup, let things play out, wait for bad contracts to come off the books, etc. 

I don't see how anyone can say that Moreno isn't committed to winning. He spent a ton of money on players who were supposed to carry the team. All of them have underperformed, and one is playing for a division rival. He has spent a lot of money. He just hasn't gotten much of a return out of it - which, in my mind, might make him leery of going down that path again. Indiscriminate spending doesn't represent a commitment to winning.

Gia is not good. He offers very little as a hitter. No power, no speed, doesn't get on base at a good clip and doesn't hit for a good average. He's a .260-.270 hitter with a low .300 OBP who can hit maybe 3-5 HR while providing below average defense. Not horrible but is probably best suited as more of a backup. If his defense was good you could tolerate the bat a bit more but it's not

There is no reason they shouldn't be looking for upgrades at 2B. Add that to LF, C, and DH. 3B will likely be handled in-house with Kubitza/Cowart or perhaps they re-sign Freese.

Team really needs to find 3 bats this offseason as well as some bullpen help.

Edited by bloodbrother

After reading this thread .... I ask you, how are the Angels competing this season with a laundry list of upgrades?

Because Scioscia is a genius. Obviously. Thank god he was here to tell Albert to go out and have a career resurgence. And thank god he talked Santiago into being an All-Star SP. all hail the big catorce.

16th out of 21. 16th in wRC+, 19th in wOBA.

The idea that his bat makes up for his defensive shortcomings (which frankly is a pretty kind term to describe Gia's lack of ability at 2B) is one of the bigger myths going around this season. He's mediocre offensively and terrible defensively.

Admittedly, that's slightly worse than I thought. Like I said, I would like to see an upgrade at 2B but I still maintain that C and LF are bigger needs.

After reading this thread .... I ask you, how are the Angels competing this season with a laundry list of upgrades?

The starting pitching has been unbelievable and for how often everyone bitches the bullpen it has been very good, even salas has been good in his 6th or 7th inning spots for the most part. Gott has been a god send, and just like last year when you have the 8th and 9th locked down its easy to mix and match a bridge from your starter to Smith and Street.

Does anyone here think Jett Bandy will catch at all next season?

It's worth a shot as the backup to Perez.  I think that's the way to go, with Ward developing as fast as we can move him along.  That trio may not be All Star hitters, but they are better defensively than what we've had preceding them.  They are also young and cost controlled, and then spend the money on LF, Bullpen, and somewhere else.

What I want done this offseason is to go get Dee Gordon for 2nd, he's the spark plug this team is missing, and he's ideal for lead off. Next we go overpay for Heyward to plug into right, Calhoun to left. That takes care of the outfield. Cron can split 1st and DH with Pujols, give Cowart the every day gig at 3rd and if he fails we have Kubitza for depth. Catcher is tricky, we could roll with Bandy and Perez and get good defense but no offense out of the position, extend ianetta for a year and hope this year is a fluke or maybe even go get Wieters if Arte wants to open his wallet. Getting Wieters would make sense to hold over the position until ward is ready and he would be a good guy to mentor Ward when he makes it to the bigs. As for the bullpen I think filling the holes internally makes the most sense and for the rotation, i think we have the depth to not have to worry about pursuing anybody.

1. Gordon

2. Calhoun

3. Trout

4. Pujols

5. Heyward

6. Wieters

7. Cron

8. Aybar

9. Cowart

Because Scioscia is a genius. Obviously. Thank god he was here to tell Albert to go out and have a career resurgence. And thank god he talked Santiago into being an All-Star SP. all hail the big catorce.

You do realize the opposite is also true. You're jokingly saying Scioscia is a genius and while I don't think he's a genius I think he's a very solid manager. Still not sure why he gives the, "don't get a hit" sign every time someone is in scoring position though.

I still think the Angels end up going after Heyward and surpassing the luxury tax for one year, until Weav and Wildon's contracts are off the books. Heyward's LH, improved the defense, he's young, has upside, reaches base and can hit anywhere 1-5.

I also think Jett Bandy breaks in as a platoon catcher with Perez.

What I want done this offseason is to go get Dee Gordon for 2nd, he's the spark plug this team is missing, and he's ideal for lead off. Next we go overpay for Heyward to plug into right, Calhoun to left. That takes care of the outfield. Cron can split 1st and DH with Pujols, give Cowart the every day gig at 3rd and if he fails we have Kubitza for depth. Catcher is tricky, we could roll with Bandy and Perez and get good defense but no offense out of the position, extend ianetta for a year and hope this year is a fluke or maybe even go get Wieters if Arte wants to open his wallet. Getting Wieters would make sense to hold over the position until ward is ready and he would be a good guy to mentor Ward when he makes it to the bigs. As for the bullpen I think filling the holes internally makes the most sense and for the rotation, i think we have the depth to not have to worry about pursuing anybody.

1. Gordon

2. Calhoun

3. Trout

4. Pujols

5. Heyward

6. Wieters

7. Cron

8. Aybar

9. Cowart

What do we give up to trade for Dee Gordon?

What do we give up to trade for Dee Gordon?

I follow the rest of baseball a decent amount but the Marlins are a team that I have no idea about, I don't know what their needs are but maybe Gia, Chris Ellis, and Cam Bedrosian. Sounds like a fair offer but again, it also depends on the holes the Marlins need to fill.

You do realize the opposite is also true. You're jokingly saying Scioscia is a genius and while I don't think he's a genius I think he's a very solid manager. Still not sure why he gives the, "don't get a hit" sign every time someone is in scoring position though.

was less about criticizing Scioscia and more about not letting TD use the argument that MS must be doing a great job since the roster is so bad and we're still in contention. In reality, both sides of the MS argument use the 'Scioscia must have told them to/not get a hit' in whatever way suits them.