• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Fire Discarcina

mram197

Why doesn't someone tell the players about smart base running, not just put your head down and go no matter what? I'm talking more here about getting thrown out by a mile trying to stretch singles into doubles, or going first to third. Happens way too often. It's so frustrating.

Other teams play smart baseball and are successful. Why are we so dumb, and then nothing is done about it?

That kind of stuff is on management first. The direction comes from the top, and if nothing is done, year in and year out, to correct the boneheaded play on the field, that's on the manager.

Edited by fan_since79

I'm honestly amazed at how utterly awful he is as a 3B coach. Does he even prepare for opponents? It just looks like the guy wings it every game with a "f it" mentality. Dude looks like he has zero clue about opponent's arm strengths or his own players when it comes to their running ability. Just wave everybody home

Why doesn't someone tell the players about smart base running, not just put your head down and go no matter what? I'm talking more here about getting thrown out by a mile trying to stretch singles into doubles, or going first to third. Happens way too often. It's so frustrating.

Other teams play smart baseball and are successful. Why are we so dumb, and then nothing is done about it?

That kind of stuff is on management first. The direction comes from the top, and if nothing is done, year in and year out, to correct the boneheaded play on the field, that's on the manager.

because Scioscia

I'm honestly amazed at how utterly awful he Scioscia is as a 3B coach manager and GM. Does he even prepare for opponents? It just looks like the guy wings it every game with a "f it" mentality. Dude looks like he has zero clue about opponent's arm strengths or his own players when it comes to their running ability. Just wave everybody home

fixed

3rd base coaches have come and gone...one thing has remained the same.

Every team has guys thrown out at home, but this has been awful with Disar. If you can't see it's worse with Disar, then you're going to be the guy that will automatically see it as better next year under new management even if the facts say the base running is the same.

Every team has guys thrown out at home, but this has been awful with Disar. If you can't see it's worse with Disar, then you're going to be the guy that will automatically see it as better next year under new management even if the facts say the base running is the same.

The issues with Disar is moot. It's like you are trying your best to look for any scapegoat to take the blame over scioscia.

The angels have been 1st or 2nd in the league in OOB every single year since Scioscia has been the manager, so how does it not boil down to the manager being the core of the issue.

Yes Scioscia is the core of the problem but to imply Disar is moot is just dumb. Our base running is worse with him than Ebel so it isn't moot. Also, I'm guessing there's also some stat that says we've scored more runs than we should have because of aggressive running. I wonder how many runs and if we compared it to what's been thrown out if we would come out on top.

Yes Scioscia is the core of the problem but to imply Disar is moot is just dumb. Our base running is worse with him than Ebel so it isn't moot. Also, I'm guessing there's also some stat that says we've scored more runs than we should have because of aggressive running. I wonder how many runs and if we compared it to what's been thrown out if we would come out on top.

True. advanced stats have shown a net positive. Can't argue with that.

Thanks. 

Man I'm all about advanced stats but some of these have jumped the shark.

Very interesting, although it doesn't actually say how the formula for UBR is calculated. By the "eye" test, Mike Trout is the only one that I would say is a great baserunner. Calhoun, this season, has been pretty bad with 9 OOB and an extra base taken % at league average.

Speaking of extra bases taken %, that is the positive tradeoff to Scioscia's approach and one aspect of UBR. That stat shows the percentage of time that a runner advances more than one base on a single or over 2 bases on a double. The Angels are generally pretty good in this part of the game. They are 6th at 43% this year, compared to the league average of 39%. Returning to OOB, the Angels have 54 compared to a league average of 39. Those seem to be the two things related to runners advancing on hits, so I guess the question is, do you trade the 15 OOB above average for a 4% increase in taking an extra base?

How is it Sosh‘s fault? He is not the one that put together this roster full of turtles.. .

In before someone says Scioscia needs to criticize his players more about their base running - did you ever try to yell at a turtle, they just stick their head in a shell and don't move.

Shell.jpg

Edited by tomsred