• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Straight Outta Compton

Chuck

I met Eazy-E while I was working at a record shop in Westminster back around '92. He was with three insanely hot chicks. Really nice guy. Totally friendly and down to earth. I got an autograph for my cousin (I was never a rap fan). He bought like 500 bucks worth of records. All my coworker and I could think about after he left was that we wished we would have had a camera so we could've gotten a picture with him.

Edited by Ray McKigney

Good flick...better than expected.

I remember a lot of this vividly or have always followed along closely/learned more about details when the internet came around. I had no idea how they could make a viable movie out it.

They got all the major details, added some extras for theatrics, then threw in jokes and some humor to cater to middle America. It worked.

Pretty much what you mention. I think it started in 1986, showed how they were friends or knew about each other and the invent of gangster rap.

It ends kind of in a quick 15 minute span of 1993/1994, Eazy dying, and I think the last scene was Dre quitting Death Row to start Aftermath.

They go over individual situations like Cubes with Jerry Heller, leaving, etc. or even when Dres brother dies, but they do a great job of always making it about NWA, even when they add things like Suge or the DOC accident.

I don't know how accurate the beginning and end was (everything I've read or followed didn't have NWA getting back together or everyone on the best of terms when Eazy passed), but Yella and Ren were consultants for the movie. So who knows. Even following and knowing the story I felt like there were some new reveals or back story...like Suge or how Heller and others tried to rip them off.

My chick asked me about back then with police treatment. She, and most people, are completely unaware of CRASH or the Rampart District scandal. That was some real shit back then.

I'm not sure if this has already been posted, by Grantland did an informative piece/interview about Jerry Heller, where he drops names of the musicians he's worked with, talks about his involvement with the NWA, and a bunch of other sheeeiiit.

http://grantland.com/features/jerry-heller-nwa-straight-outta-compton/

Saw it this weekend. Really liked it, better than i expected (like brandon said). Thought the guy who played eazy did a very good job.

Good story. I think they cleaned it up a bunch...made them seem like better guys than they were. Not saying rhey were hardcore bad guys, but they definitely left out some things they did (which to be fair, lots of dumbass young people with money and media do).

I question the suge/dre relationship, as well as the scene with snoop when he meets suge. It makes dre seem harder than he really was, and im not sure snoop walked in a punked out suge....suge is a bonafide gangsta. And all the musicians around death row knew they were just musicians, and suge and his posse (bunchy, neckbone, etc) were real deal killers.

I recommend the book i listed in another thread, LAbrynth. Theres a bunch of backstory about how bad suge really is, the problems he and his people caused, how scared they had the industry etc. It would actually make a pretty good crime movie if anyone ever made a movie about it.

I question the suge/dre relationship, as well as the scene with snoop when he meets suge. It makes dre seem harder than he really was, and im not sure snoop walked in a punked out suge....suge is a bonafide gangsta. And all the musicians around death row knew they were just musicians, and suge and his posse (bunchy, neckbone, etc) were real deal killers.

I'll never forget about 11-12 years ago I was at the gym and I overheard 2 guys talking.  One of the guys was an older white guy in his 50's, somehow they started talking about Long Beach and Snoop and the older guy said he lived in the same neighborhood when Snoop was growing up and knew him when he was a kid.  The guy laughed and said "Calvin was a bitch growing up and all the kids in the neighborhood knew it.  He tried to act hard but when push came to shove he ran away crying."  No idea how true it is but I never forgot it because it was funny hearing a white guy in his 50's call out a rapper.

Edited by Catwhoshatinthehat

Reminds me as a kid. My pops worked at the same company as a dude that went to school with Dre, but he was in the warehouse. He always referred to him as Andre and talked about their time in high school. The Chronic had just come out and he had no idea that Andre would blow up. I think he was more interested in a white kid into the music. Reminded me of the beginning of the movie where the music and that sound were for and amongst a specific demographic.

I'll never forget about 11-12 years ago I was at the gym and I overheard 2 guys talking. One of the guys was an older white guy in his 50's, somehow they started talking about Long Beach and Snoop and the older guy said he lived in the same neighborhood when Snoop was growing up and knew him when he was a kid. The guy laughed and said "Calvin was a bitch growing up and all the kids in the neighborhood knew it. He tried to act hard but when push came to shove he ran away crying." No idea how true it is but I never forgot it because it was funny hearing a white guy in his 50's call out a rapper.

that is funny. Who knows if its true (like you said), but it wouldnt suprise me. Nothing against snoop himself, just that the vast majority of rappers who come off as thigs were never really gangster in real life.

There are a ton of real ones, but no one has ever heard of them...they usually fund their music career from something illegal and sell it out of the car, at swap meets, etc. And its usually a mix of "i always wanted to do it" and "i need to launder this money". Youtube is filled with these guys...and the reason nobody has heard of them is because they suck...usually very much so.