• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How to rebuild this team

At this point if I were manager, we'd have a meeting before every game which included a 30 minute video preview and discussion of the pitcher we're going to face, and the approach we're going to have at the plate, as well as a second-hand approach if something from the starting pitcher is turning out differently.

Do they even do this?

Is 30 minutes too much to ask to get the guys together?

It seems like everything is off the rails and everyone does their own thing. No big picture.

Again, I'm not a fan of just trading trading replacing replacing. These guys need to learn to work together and have a plan going into each and every game.

I agree. It shouldn't be too much to ask the players we have to produce, just a little. I'm not expecting Trout or Harper play but just something. Just look at Ianetta, Featherston or anybody in LF.

IMO, the most urgent needs in this order are, LF,3b,C,2b,various not horrible bullpen guys. We might be able to get away with letting cowart/kubitza run with 3b if we can't resign Freese at s good rate. We should aggressively pursue Heyward/Cespedes/Upton for the outfield, and if it was up to me I would go hard after Matt Wieters.

Edited by UndertheHalo

For some reason this board has the mentality that replace replace replace is equal to automatic improvement. That's not how it works. These guys need to learn to work together and have a game plan that they all follow, and they need to get comfortable enough with each other to follow through with that plan.

I see no planning. I see no preparation. I see a bunch of lost ballplayers being led by an asshat manager that does nothing to change things throughout the season as they fall to shit, and the same old song and dance is getting old. Scioscia needs to lay down the mother****ing hammer and should be ashamed of himself as well as the product he continues to put on the field.

For some reason this board has the mentality that replace replace replace is equal to automatic improvement. That's not how it works. These guys need to learn to work together and have a game plan that they all follow, and they need to get comfortable enough with each other to follow through with that plan.

I see no planning. I see no preparation. I see a bunch of lost ballplayers being led by an asshat manager that does nothing to change things throughout the season as they fall to shit, and the same old song and dance is getting old. Scioscia needs to lay down the mother****ing hammer and should be ashamed of himself as well as the product he continues to put on the field.

I'm not saying that replacing Scioscia wouldn't help, but he didn't put this roster on the field.  That one is on Arte and Dipoto.  And you will never know how much of a hammer Scioscia lays down, because that is not his style to make it public. You want to see someone publicly crawl all over players, then go for it, but that will end in total disaster.

Moreno is at the head of all this teams problems.  Dipoto doesn't sign Pujols.  Maybe Wilson and he also resigns Hunter and doesn't even utter Hamilton's name. Arte forced all those. He also wanted Wells. Those are just a few examples that have put the team in the position it's in today.

Chuck said that this narrative isn't true, that Dipoto was very much behind Pujols, Wilson, and Hamilton.

I think the team would be wise to sell high on Santiago in the offseason. They got other young arms and it's also a deep FA market so they could also add an arm. Santiago could fetch them a young bat under club control. The team badly needs players like that since they don't have any impact bats in the farm system on the way and they can't fill the 3-4 holes on offense by throwing gobs of money at various FA's.

I'd say package Cron in a deal but dude probably has minimal value. A DH only bat who can't get on base or hit for average. Not very hard to find players like that

Edited by bloodbrother

Chuck said that this narrative isn't true, that Dipoto was very much behind Pujols, Wilson, and Hamilton.

Yes, but Chuck also said that it is Arte and Scioscia's fault. If Dipoto (whom I really liked) was behind all three of those signings, then Dipoto is the number one cause of what we are watching on the field right now.

Yes, but Chuck also said that it is Arte and Scioscia's fault. If Dipoto (whom I really liked) was behind all three of those signings, then Dipoto is the number one cause of what we are watching on the field right now.

Not completely. It is the GM's job to get the parts, but the manager's job to make sure they work together. I tend to agree with CaliAngel that Scioscia is a lackluster manager and needs to go.

As some have already said, the farm system sucks--at least as far as position players goes--so the Angels are pretty much stuck with free agency. I think they go hard after an outfielder in the offseason, possibly one of Heyward (my preference), Cespedes, or Upton.

I agree. The team needs another bat they can pair with Trout going forward. Pujols isn't that option and is only getting older and worse. He'd be better suited batting 6th. Of course, since this is reality and Sosh runs the show I have no hopes of Pujols ever batting below 4th

But yeah, probably/hopefully sign a FA OFer, then trade Santiago for another bat. Probably plug Kubitza or Cowart at 3B and hope they can just be mediocre enough to justify playing time.

Not completely. It is the GM's job to get the parts, but the manager's job to make sure they work together. I tend to agree with CaliAngel that Scioscia is a lackluster manager and needs to go.

Yes it is time for a new direction and a new manager, but if he was actually the one that was behind signing Josh, that is $25 million the team would have to fill an absolute vacancy in LF. That isn't even going into the Albert situaion.

You are one clueless fan.

I think the team would be wise to sell high on Santiago in the offseason. They got other young arms and it's also a deep FA market so they could also add an arm. Santiago could fetch them a young bat under club control. The team badly needs players like that since they don't have any impact bats in the farm system on the way and they can't fill the 3-4 holes on offense by throwing gobs of money at various FA's.

I'd say package Cron in a deal but dude probably has minimal value. A DH only bat who can't get on base or hit for average. Not very hard to find players like that

Nobody is going to trade a bat for Santiago. This is 2015, offense is non existent. Its every team for themselves, bats are rare these days and if you want them you had better grow them yourself. Or trade your farm for a rental.

We'll have Skaggs, Ellis, Newcomb, Nate Smith, and Gatto to go along with Heaney, Santiago, Shoemaker, and Weaver. We should have a couple of young, controllable arms to trade for an impact bat or two.

Out of all those arms the only players that a team would give up a bat for are Newcomb and Heaney. The rest wont get you much. And even still, youre looking at maybe an .800 OPS player at best for Newcomb.

One of the only posters on this board who's disagreement makes me feel like what I said might hold some water.

What you said holds no water what so ever. There's absolutely no evidence to support your speculations. Scioscia runs a tight ship on and off the field. The Angels are more prepared for battle than the majority of MLB teams.

Angels are in the thick of things ... nobody said it was going to be easy. To even question the players hustle and desire is laughable.

Angels came off the best record is baseball last season ... you don't get there by accident. What makes you think something has changed?

I get it .., we lose a few games and some fans go off the deep end and start making up shit.

Boof**ingHoo

Edited by Troll Daddy

As some have already said, the farm system sucks--at least as far as position players goes--so the Angels are pretty much stuck with free agency. I think they go hard after an outfielder in the offseason, possibly one of Heyward (my preference), Cespedes, or Upton.

Heyward is gonna get a ton of money and if we sign him he'll suddenly turn into our next Pujols. I like Cespedes until I look at his stats. Upton has the potential to be another Mo Vaughn.

This team is killing my baseball optimism.

I like Strad's suggestions but realistically I don't know what budget Arte will give the new GM.  It probably won't be big enough for Heyward, Davis, and Howie.

if a lesser budget how about Span or Murphy in LF, Zobrist at 2B, Wieters at C/DH

I like Zobrist.  He's old but his versatility could give us some coverage at LF or 3B.

Basically, I just want a GM with autonomy, ie he can fire Scioscia if he feels it's necessary.

What you said holds no water what so ever. There's absolutely no evidence to support your speculations. Scioscia runs a tight ship on and off the field. The Angels are more prepared for battle than the majority of MLB teams.

Angels are in the thick of things ... nobody said it was going to be easy. To even question the players hustle and desire is laughable.

Angels came off the best record is baseball last season ... you don't get there by accident. What makes you think something has changed?

I get it .., we lose a few games and some fans go off the deep end and start making up shit.

Boof**ingHoo

They're in the thick of a pile of mediocre muck, aka the AL West. Nothing to celebrate here. This is not a good team. On paper, yes. But the on-field production is horrible. We'll be steamrolled by any good team in the playoffs, if we manage to get there.

I agree with most of this. I'd keep Santiago in the rotation over Tropeano or Nate Smith, unless we can get the right piece for him. There's also nothing wrong with Shoe as your fifth starter. A must would be to get a manager and a GM that have the same philosophy.

You have to figure one of those arms will need to go in exchange for filling one of those hitting spots.

You have to figure one of those arms will need to go in exchange for filling one of those hitting spots.

Yea I agree. I also think that we are going to see, if we haven't already, that young power hitters will be the new cost controlled starting pitching, as it relates to value. Probably one of the reasons Trumbo was able to fetch us two young starters.