• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Our playoff hopes will be decided...

wpghalo

Nope.  We could be 3 games back after this road trip and still end up winning the division.

Why you ask?  Because thats how the regular season works in baseball.

Yep. Year after year the Angels would completely crush the Red Sox during the regular season only to be swept out of the playoffs. Playoffs are a completely different ballgame, requiring an utterly different roster construction than what is required to do well in the postseason (this is the main reason I do not like the wild card, I believe the regular season should have more significance) 

The Angels at the moment are a regualr season team primarily because they have a rotation that is fairly deep, all our pitchers are at least decent. However we lack one lock down ace who can pitch over and over on short rest single handedly carry a wild card-quality team to a World Series victory. 

Yep. Year after year the Angels would completely crush the Red Sox during the regular season only to be swept out of the playoffs. Playoffs are a completely different ballgame, requiring an utterly different roster construction than what is required to do well in the postseason (this is the main reason I do not like the wild card, I believe the regular season should have more significance) 

The Angels at the moment are a regualr season team primarily because they have a rotation that is fairly deep, all our pitchers are at least decent. However we lack one lock down ace who can pitch over and over on short rest single handedly carry a wild card-quality team to a World Series victory. 

This isn't exactly how I remember it. I seem to remember the Red Sox and Angels being fairly balanced in the regular season. Let's take a look at the years the Red Sox and the Angels faced each other in the playoffs:

2004 (3-1, Sox): 4-5, Sox

2007 (3-0, Sox): 4-6, Sox

2008 (3-1, Sox): 8-1, Angels

2009 (3-0, Angels): 5-4, Angels

So first of all, they only got swept by the Sox once. Secondly, they actually beat the Sox in 2009 - sweeping them. Finally, there was only one year that they faced each other in the playoffs that the Angels "completely crushed" the Red Sox in the regular season, and that was 2008. So your memory of "year after year" is really only one year, 2008.

Edited by Angelsjunky

No team in the AL West is playing well rnough to run away with the division. The Angels are useless against top quality pitching so the upcoming series with the Royals looks bleak. However, Houston is not playing well either. It will definitely come down to the last three weeks in the division.

This isn't exactly how I remember it. I seem to remember the Red Sox and Angels being fairly balanced in the regular season. Let's take a look at the years the Red Sox and the Angels faced each other in the playoffs:

2004 (3-1, Sox): 4-5, Sox

2007 (3-0, Sox): 4-6, Sox

2008 (3-1, Sox): 8-1, Angels

2009 (3-0, Angels): 5-4, Angels

So first of all, they only got swept by the Sox once. Secondly, they actually beat the Sox in 2009 - sweeping them. Finally, there was only one year that they faced each other in the playoffs that the Angels "completely crushed" the Red Sox in the regular season, and that was 2008. So your memory of "year after year" is really only one year, 2008.

They got swept in 2004.

There are like 50 games left.

Playoffs will be determined by how they do against the division down the stretch

This is basically it unless either us or the Astros get really hot and separate significantly. Also right now, the Rangers are playing the best baseball in the AL West, they are not out of the picture. Edited by UndertheHalo

So does every other team that doesn't have Madison Bumgarner on their team.  What he did was historically great.  If there is another pitcher in the league that could do that he sure hasn't shown it.  Dodgers have Kershaw and that hasn't worked out for them in the postseason.

Call me old-fashioned, but I think our playoff hopes hinge entirely upon our record in relation to other teams in the division and league.

This is why I'm a big proponent of winning baseball games. Statistically speaking, it has a strong correlation with a team's record.

I completely agree.  Call me silly, but sometimes, we need to focus on the obvious.

So does every other team that doesn't have Madison Bumgarner on their team. What he did was historically great. If there is another pitcher in the league that could do that he sure hasn't shown it. Dodgers have Kershaw and that hasn't worked out for them in the postseason.

Closest thing to that performance in "recent" memory was Curt Schilling and Randy Johnson (who also closed game 7)