• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

Rangers to acquire Mike Napoli

`

So that means he cleared waivers which means no one in their right mind would want him... is that correct?

The Rangers could just be taking on the contract in full, in which case it would only mean that nobody behind them in the standings claimed him.

Edited by ScottLux

Wouldn't you want to hit bunches of homeruns against a team whose manager had you behind Mathis on the depth charts?

You have to remember that Jeff Mathis was the Number 2 ranked catcher (behind Joe Mauer) when the Angels drafted him...you gotta justify it.

Backup means starting maybe one game out of every five or six. The playing time was far closer to even than it should have been. No other team who Mathis has played for has been that stupid.

Yes I agree, Napoli started only 17 more games than Mathis. I do believe that Napoli deserved to start much closer to 2-1. I know that we all joked about CERA, but the pitchers mostly preferred to pitch to Mathis, I am guessing there is a reason for it. I do wonder what Napoli really did to piss off Scioscia, not some nonsense about pictures or whatever less than funny one liners we all have for the situation. What did he do that showed Scioscia he wasn't the right fit. I have heard work ethic was the issue, but man I really wish something could have been worked out so we could have at least kept him as a DH during his healthy years.

Without wanting to further reignite the Napoli vs Mathis debate, even with the benefit of hindsight I don't think Napoli should have started more often at catcher. In fact he should have played there much less. He was unacceptable defensively and I can't think of anyone worse who I've seen behind the plate. But we should have seen his value as a 1B/DH type who maybe played the odd game at catcher. We also should definitely have not given him to the Jays for no reason, even if we did want to acquire Wells *shudders*

Yes I agree, Napoli started only 17 more games than Mathis. I do believe that Napoli deserved to start much closer to 2-1. I know that we all joked about CERA, but the pitchers mostly preferred to pitch to Mathis, I am guessing there is a reason for it. I do wonder what Napoli really did to piss off Scioscia, not some nonsense about pictures or whatever less than funny one liners we all have for the situation. What did he do that showed Scioscia he wasn't the right fit. I have heard work ethic was the issue, but man I really wish something could have been worked out so we could have at least kept him as a DH during his healthy years.

I love the one liners.

I also wish he would have been given a permanent catching role for a year to try him out, I always really liked the way he swung the bat I just feel like he never got a chance to hit a stride. Also you can just tell by the 2 players, Mathis was a soft spoken "do what Skip tells you kind of guy," Napoli has always had a little bit of a "tough guy" 'tude and I'm not sure that rubbed Scioscia the right way. We saw a bit of it come out once he started playing with Boston, and now he's a division enemy again.

I love the one liners.

I also wish he would have been given a permanent catching role for a year to try him out, I always really liked the way he swung the bat I just feel like he never got a chance to hit a stride. Also you can just tell by the 2 players, Mathis was a soft spoken "do what Skip tells you kind of guy," Napoli has always had a little bit of a "tough guy" 'tude and I'm not sure that rubbed Scioscia the right way. We saw a bit of it come out once he started playing with Boston, and now he's a division enemy again.

Well, one thing we kind of know is that if he was given the full time catcher job and caught 120 games a year, he wouldn't have last very long. His hip wouldn't have held up. Maybe he has the same catching career, but it is very likely it would have cut his career short if he was catching 5 times a week. I also wonder if his performance drop off is based on the health of his hip.