• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

One Way Car Rentals

I am getting killed on the price of a one-way car rental for an upcoming trip.

Does anyone have any tricks to help save some cash? I remember a few years ago someone posting a link to a car rental site for people coming from overseas. It worked well then, but I can't remember the name.

I get teased for knowing some of the car rental tricks, but one way rentals are a tough one.  What city pairs are we talking about?  Which rental companies have you tried?  One-way prices are never reasonable unless they're chronically short of cars at the destination location you select and the origin site has cars to spare.

Think of it this way:  One way rentals are not usually helpful for the rental company.  You have to be doing them a favor by repositioning cars where they are needed, otherwise you will pay top dollar.  I've never seen coupon codes to make one ways cheaper. 

Edited by mp170.6

From what I hear, near airports are sometimes cheaper.  Definitely call around, since even the same company can be a different price depending on location.  

I know a friend was moving to the east coast one time, and a hertz or whatever moving truck rental was like 50% lower going from Vegas to the East Coast than from LA to the East Coast.  Including mileage and a one way ticket to Vegas.  This was when housing in Vegas was booming.

I would check into car dealerships. Many times they need cars moved from one state to another.

This actually makes sense and is a good idea.

I don't know about the insurance or liability, though. Plus, putting on miles hurts $ opposed to trucking it in to preserve miles.

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

Need it for vacation.

10 days

Flying into Reno, and out of San Franncisco

Thanks

Not sure what you are looking out to pay.  But just doing quick searches, since I don't know the dates you are looking for.  But Reno to SF is like $90-$100.  But if you go Reno, NV to Sacramento, CA.  Then Sacramento, CA to San Francisco, CA.  It's in the $40-50 range.  

I am getting killed on the price of a one-way car rental for an upcoming trip.

Does anyone have any tricks to help save some cash? I remember a few years ago someone posting a link to a car rental site for people coming from overseas. It worked well then, but I can't remember the name.

It's a shot in the dark, but sometimes a rental company has a one way that is originally from or near the location where you are headed, so you would be doing them a favor by driving it back.

The first job I ever had was as a return shuttle driver for Hertz. Two or three of us would go to a given location and drive cars back. Great job for a high school kid, getting paid to drive new cars.

Another long shot, but some people have done it. A friend from Wales drove cross country by buying a car for less than the cost of a rental, then he sold the car on the other end before flying home. He basically got the car for free.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Another long shot, but some people have done it. A friend from Wales drove cross country by buying a car for less than the cost of a rental, then he sold the car on the other end before flying home. He basically got the car for free.

I was going to recommend this.  But the problem will be selling in California.  Because of the smog requirements, it's a tough nut to flip a car coming from outside.  

MegaBus is pretty decent and they have a run between Reno and San Francisco (Caltrain station).  Current fares are about $15 one-way.  Departs Reno 3:30pm and arrives the Caltrain station at 7:50pm. The Caltrain station is really close to AT&T Park if you want to catch a Giants game. 

Then take Caltrain a few stops south and transfer to a BART train at the Millbrae Transit Center, which takes you to SFO:

Caltrain+Zone+Map.png