• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dombrowski canned by Tigers

It will be a lap dog. Scioscia can't have a GM overriding his decisions.

This narrative is so ****ing dumb. I'm sure this lap dog listened to Scioscia and didn't get a bull pen arm they desperately needed or a big bat. Scioscia himself said on Wednesday or Thursday last week they were playing short handed. But continue spouting nonsense, it makes you feel better.

This narrative is so ****ing dumb. I'm sure this lap dog listened to Scioscia and didn't get a bull pen arm they desperately needed or a big bat. Scioscia himself said on Wednesday or Thursday last week they were playing short handed. But continue spouting nonsense, it makes you feel better.

Glad that you enjoyed it.

Whatever GM we get, it us my hope that he is every bit as aggressive as Dipoto was. Absolutely refreshing.

Not sure what you mean by "aggressive."  How was Dipoto aggressive, do you have an example?  Aggresive to me could mean trading all of our top propects for some veterans, and immediate, help.  I don't think that's what you meant though.

Edited by tomsred

I think how quickly Dipoto get hired will give us insight into what went down with the team.  

On the surface, a GM quitting mid season from an org poised to make the playoffs would be career suicide in terms of becoming a GM ever again.  

If he gets snapped up quick like then I think it probably safe to assume that whatever JD was dealing with was justification for walking when he did.  

I do think there is a difference with Scioscia and Stoneman, as opposed to Reagins and DiPoto.....Stoneman hired Scioscia when he was an out of work minor league manager and they had an established relationship, for 8 years, where Stoneman clearly had the final say, which usually was "no" when it came to trades......I'm sure Scioscia, like all of us, probably got frustrated with Stoneman's conservative approach to trades....he clearly wanted more help for the pen last week and didn't get it....but that is not the same dynamic that was around with DiPoto and Reagins, particularly Reagins...I suspect Scioscia has always had a significant say in personnel matters but it's very different with the guy who hired you and who clearly was the last voice in personnel matters for 8 years.....

Not sure what you mean by "aggressive."  How was Dipoto aggressive, do you have an example?  Aggresive to me could mean trading all of our top propects for some veterans, and immediate, help.  I don't think that's what you meant though.

He was aggressive all over really, he acts quickly, doesn't lay back the way Stoneman and Reagins did.  Trading Chatwood for Iannetta, Signing Trout, Kendrick, Aybar and Iannetta to extensions, acquiring Zack Greinke, Jason Vargas, Cory Rasmus, he swapped Trumbo for Skaggs and Santiago, landed Grilli for nothing in Frieri, brought in Huston Street and Trevor Gott, acquired Heaney for Kendrick, Tropeano and Perez for Conger, and even Ramos for Sappington. 

Yeah, he made his fair share of bad moves too.  But the point is he was making moves. He was aware of team needs and did what he could to address them. 

He was aggressive all over really, he acts quickly, doesn't lay back the way Stoneman and Reagins did.  Trading Chatwood for Iannetta, Signing Trout, Kendrick, Aybar and Iannetta to extensions, acquiring Zack Greinke, Jason Vargas, Cory Rasmus, he swapped Trumbo for Skaggs and Santiago, landed Grilli for nothing in Frieri, brought in Huston Street and Trevor Gott, acquired Heaney for Kendrick, Tropeano and Perez for Conger, and even Ramos for Sappington. 

Yeah, he made his fair share of bad moves too.  But the point is he was making moves. He was aware of team needs and did what he could to address them. 

Excellent points all.

• 2 weeks later...

Tim Britton ‏@TimBritton

The Red Sox have hired Dave Dombrowski as their president of baseball operations.

Tim Britton ‏@TimBritton 1m1 minute ago

Ben Cherington declined the opportunity to continue as general manager. He will assist in the transition.

Sox adding every GM who left their team's this season

Edited by bloodbrother

Wonder if he will be trying to unload those two bad contracts from last off season, Ramirez and Panda.

It is interesting how they made that trade with the Dodgers and freed up all that $ only to blow it.

The AL East is very volatile right now, Dombrowski could be a big pickup but most likely he is a year too late.

I would have thought the Angels 2013 season would be a lesson in collecting mediocre pitchers but Cherington chose that route this season and it cost him his job. We know Dombrowski and Dipoto can spend a rich owner's money with the best of them so this seems like an obvious fit. I'm still routing for spontaneous combustion on Yawkey Way.

If Dipoto was soo wonderful why didn't they offer him the President of Baseball Operation's position. Just like when Arizona didn't offer Dipoto the full time GM position.

Are you proposing that we hire Kevin Towers, the man who got the job over Dipoto, as GM of the Angels?

Kevin Towers' tenure in Arizona: Four years of poor trades

Towers acquired 13 wins above replacement and at the approximate cost of $84 million in salary, for an average of $6.2 million. He would deal nearly 32 wins above replacement for just about the same cost ($85 million), or an average price of $2.7 million. Basically, Arizona paid open market price for one winwithout considering the talent leaving the club and opposing teams more than doubled their acquiring WAR for just over 40-percent of the cost.

Immediately before getting hired by the DBacks he basically ran the San Diego Padres into the ground as well. 

Edited by ScottLux

If Dipoto was soo wonderful why didn't they offer him the President of Baseball Operation's position. Just like when Arizona didn't offer Dipoto the full time GM position.

Because neither Boston or Arizona have locks on their clubhouse doors.

i try and stay away from being a cop, but i just want to throw this out there. the rule is either/or and neither/nor. back to baseball.

Thank you.  I'll rephrase, ...."Because neither Boston nor Arizona have locks on their clubhouse doors", and obviously neither do the Angels have locks on their clubhouse, door openings, at the Stadium, in 2015 anyway.  There's a reason I'm not an English teacher, or a language instructor, LOL.

Are you proposing that we hire Kevin Towers, the man who got the job over Dipoto, as GM of the Angels?

Kevin Towers' tenure in Arizona: Four years of poor trades

Towers acquired 13 wins above replacement and at the approximate cost of $84 million in salary, for an average of $6.2 million. He would deal nearly 32 wins above replacement for just about the same cost ($85 million), or an average price of $2.7 million. Basically, Arizona paid open market price for one winwithout considering the talent leaving the club and opposing teams more than doubled their acquiring WAR for just over 40-percent of the cost.

Immediately before getting hired by the DBacks he basically ran the San Diego Padres into the ground as well.

No! My point is that Arizona had the opportunity to give Dipoto the full time GM position but they hired Towers while Jerry was the interim GM. Now Boston has Jerry Dipoto in their organization but chose to hire Dombrowski as the VP of Baseball Operations. Why not Jerry?

It's seems like the Angels are the only team that believed that Jerry was a can't miss Jedi genius. No other organization is buying it because no other team has offered him a position with full authority.

Claude that's ridiculous. There could have been a ton of reason that the D-Backs felt like Towers was a better fit, just as there could be a ton of reasons the Red Sox chose Dombrowski. Since only one team hired Dipoto it doesn't mean we're the only team that thought he was worthy of being hired. It would be like saying the Cubs were the only team that thought Madden was worth hiring when he opted out of his Rays contract. It must be true since he's the Cubs manager. Also Dipoto will get another job as a GM.

Claude that's ridiculous. There could have been a ton of reason that the D-Backs felt like Towers was a better fit, just as there could be a ton of reasons the Red Sox chose Dombrowski. Since only one team hired Dipoto it doesn't mean we're the only team that thought he was worthy of being hired. It would be like saying the Cubs were the only team that thought Madden was worth hiring when he opted out of his Rays contract. It must be true since he's the Cubs manager. Also Dipoto will get another job as a GM.

Strad you are speaking on behalf of a team that handed a full time GM position to Tony Reagins. Remember that Dipoto wasn't our first choice. We wanted Andrew Friedman but he was smart enough to say no to the Angels and secure himself a President of Baseball Operations position with the Dodgers. Full authority.

That's the caliber position we need to change this franchise around. Dipoto was kind of an entry level GM with very little experience that had no backing from the owner or the manager. Friedman was way to smart to accept those terms and conditions so he declined. Dipoto is better suited as a director if scouting somewhere or he needs to work under guys like Friedman for a number of years before he's handed a full time GM position. He's certainly not worthy of a President of Baseball Operations position.