• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

C.J. Wilson to Get Second Opinion on Elbow

Uh oh.  First I hear an analyst on MLB Network say that Wilson told him yesterday that his doctors said that if he was a mid-20's guy they'd recommend Tommy John surgery for his current condition.  Then I read this article that says he's going in for a second opinion.

We might lose him for 2015 and 2016, folks.

Does it matter?  he clearly doesnt want to pitch right now... forcing him will not produce results unless he bucking for a trade, but if that was the case he wouldnt sit out August. 

After CJ's performance in Game 3 of the ALDS last year I was fairly certain there would be no trade.

Now with bone spurs or whatever I'm convinced there will be no trade.

I can't fault a guy for not wanting to pitch when the act of pitching is causing him significant physical pain.  And I could see the 'suck it up' attitude if he was our best option.  I'm honestly not seeing either.  Let him get the surgery, get as healthy as he can and see if he can contribute from the pen next year maybe.  Never know - he might become a decent 7th inning option for us in 2016.  

And I wouldn't mind if he decided to develop a knuckler.  

As for the money, Arte's on the hook either way, and his trade value is about the same as Matt Joyce's right now.  So that money's really already spent.  Only thing you can do going forward, in any of these situations, is to do the best you can with what you're holding.  Concentrating on the dollar amount of the contract just leaves you open for the sunk cost fallacy.

Forgot all about Shoe! Make that 6 better options than Weaver.

Nate Smith is doing absolutely everything he could to say 'pick me'. Newcomb is one good spring away from having a shot at making the rotation too. So basically, we have options.

I can't fault a guy for not wanting to pitch when the act of pitching is causing him significant physical pain.  And I could see the 'suck it up' attitude if he was our best option.  I'm honestly not seeing either.  Let him get the surgery, get as healthy as he can and see if he can contribute from the pen next year maybe.  Never know - he might become a decent 7th inning option for us in 2016.  

And I wouldn't mind if he decided to develop a knuckler.  

As for the money, Arte's on the hook either way, and his trade value is about the same as Matt Joyce's right now.  So that money's really already spent.  Only thing you can do going forward, in any of these situations, is to do the best you can with what you're holding.  Concentrating on the dollar amount of the contract just leaves you open for the sunk cost fallacy.

This. If he's too injured or in too much pain to pitch, it's smartest for him to sit out and do what he needs to do to recover. If he gets help now perhaps he will be able to come back and be effective out of the pen in 2016. If he ignores it he will probably continue to pitch erratically and might do irreversible damage. As for the second opinion? Since some seem to be skeptical about the extent of his injury, it's a great idea.