• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

some observations

stormngt

1. The front office sacrificed the year for the future. They didn't destroy the chances for posting season. But they have weaken the team. They said so with the Kendrick trade. The weakened it with the Hamilton fiasco. And their decision. Not to pursue a big bat in order to preserve their prospects.

2. The blow pen is back. I was puzzled when so many argued for bull pen help. I thought we had a strong bullpen but this losing streak clearly shows our middle relief is not good and Smith has regressed. I know this won't be popular but I say we go for KROD of the waiver wire.

3. As much as i loved Gia's clutch hits. He sucks at defense. How the hell was that ruled a hit yeasterday? I do wonder how he is a better defender than Green. And Green will match his offense. Maybe we should bring through free agency.

4. We are not a playoff team. We have too many weaknesses. It is amazing that we are competing as well as we are.

`

1) Huh? Source?

2) The bullpen definitely has issues There's basically nobody dependable after Street and Smith. Part of this is Mike Morin sucking this year. Surprised Stoneman didn't make a move at the deadline, but I have to believe there just wasn't a deal to be had that he thought made sense.

3) Gia's defense is not great, but it's also at about #127 on the list of this team's issues.

4) The standings say otherwise. As of today they ARE a playoff team, and that's after losing 9 out of 10.

Are they a flawed team? For sure. But so were both of last year's World Series teams.

Edited by WallyWorld

Per his number 1, i remember reading (on here so it should be bumpable) that after trading howie dipoto said its going to be somewhat of a transition year. And thats probably fair.

The problem is theres no new crop waiting in the wings. We have interesting young pitching,but still no heir apparent at C, SS, 3B or 2B....all of which will need to get sorted out soon. I love aybar, and i think iannetta is fine, but you cant keep both and have lesser ayers at 3B and 2B..not with both those guys getting older and more expensive

Good thing we can find help internationally this year....oh wait

Baseball is all about being mediocre and getting lucky these days. Dominant teams can't win in the post season and young talent is locked up before free agency so it's tougher to buy wins anyway. This is not a particularly good Angels team, but look around the league, there are no good teams. 

Per his number 1, i remember reading (on here so it should be bumpable) that after trading howie dipoto said its going to be somewhat of a transition year. And thats probably fair.

The problem is theres no new crop waiting in the wings. We have interesting young pitching,but still no heir apparent at C, SS, 3B or 2B....all of which will need to get sorted out soon. I love aybar, and i think iannetta is fine, but you cant keep both and have lesser ayers at 3B and 2B..not with both those guys getting older and more expensive

What happened with Baldoquin? or however you spell his name...

Pretty sure Dipoto was referring specifically to the 2B situation, not the team as a whole. And whatever fall-off there has been between Howie and Gia, it really has very little to do with the way this team has played the last couple weeks.

Totally agree with number 1...

DiPoto knew he had to find some young cost controlled pitching due to the contracts they have on the books going forward and he did a great job. DiPoto acquired Santiago, Skaggs, Tropeano, Heaney and drafted Newcomb.

The Kendrick/Heaney swap was a trade made to better the future and one that I really liked when it was made. I don't think anyone expected Heaney to have the impact he's had this year. However, when the trade was made I think most of us knew we'd be taking a step backwards this season.

Going into the year I viewed this season as a rebuilding year and it seemed that way until that nice little win streak we went on (which seems like years ago). That streak plus Pujols' resurgence changed my expectations for this year and had me in "win now" mode. The front office instead stayed on course throughout the deadline having the future in mind. All 3 hacks we acquired can be let go at the end of the year and I think that's why they were acquired.

Hopefully this offseason we can finally find our LF'er for the future and I'm hoping Cowart continues to produce at SLC so the FO can put more money towards a LF'er. Plus I hope we bring back Kendrick next season, Gia has a terrible arm and little to no range, never thought I'd see the day I'd miss Howie but here we are!

Edited by CanadianHalo

What happened with Baldoquin? or however you spell his name...

thats what i was reffering to. One of rhe more educated guys on her can answer better. Hope hes the answer here in 2 years or so. But for the life of me, and i think this was one of dipos worst decisions, i dont know why we blew our wad on him if we werent going to go all out and sign a few more with the rules in place. Bow we cant get any international FAs for like 3 more years?

This team, as constructed was never going to be a playoff team.  Anyone who thought that, should have their head examined.  This team, as constructed was going to be competitive, with an eye to the future.  Jerry, as much as people may not like him, was building a staff for the years to come.  Heaney, Skaggs, GRich, Trop, Santiago and maybe Shoe.  We have glaring holes at 3rd, LF, C.  But Jerry tried to address those by moving for Kubitza.  Jerry had a plan, Mike just screwed it up.

Pretty sure Dipoto was referring specifically to the 2B situation, not the team as a whole. And whatever fall-off there has been between Howie and Gia, it really has very little to do with the way this team has played the last couple weeks.

agreed. Its a combo of missing howies bat (and glove), along with the black hole in LF, and inconsistent performances everywhere else besides CF

This team, as constructed was never going to be a playoff team. Anyone who thought that, should have their head examined. This team, as constructed was going to be competitive, with an eye to the future. Jerry, as much as people may not like him, was building a staff for the years to come. Heaney, Skaggs, GRich, Trop, Santiago and maybe Shoe. We have glaring holes at 3rd, LF, C. But Jerry tried to address those by moving for Kubitza. Jerry had a plan, Mike just screwed it up.

i agree with all of that intil the end. Keep in mind the players backed mike...maybe the players are idoits, but you still have to keep them happy

This team, as constructed was never going to be a playoff team.  Anyone who thought that, should have their head examined.  

What?!! They're a playoff team RIGHT NOW. And that's after losing 9 out of their last 10. I guarantee you the FO thought they had a playoff team heading into the season, and they still do. And they're right.

Totally agree with number 1...

DiPoto knew he had to find some young cost controlled pitching due to the contracts they have on the books going forward and he did a great job. DiPoto acquired Santiago, Skaggs, Tropeano, Heaney and drafted Newcomb.

The Kendrick/Heaney swap was a trade made to better the future and one that I really liked when it was made. I don't think anyone expected Heaney to have the impact he's had this year. However, when the trade was made I think most of us knew we'd be taking a step backwards this season.

Going into the year I viewed this season as a rebuilding year and it seemed that way until that nice little win streak we went on (which seems like years ago). That streak plus Pujols' resurgence changed my expectations for this year and had me in "win now" mode. The front office instead stayed on course throughout the deadline having the future in mind. All 3 hacks we acquired can be let go at the end of the year and I think that's why they were acquired.

Hopefully this offseason we can finally find our LF'er for the future and I'm hoping Cowart continues to produce at SLC so the FO can put more money towards a LF'er. Plus I hope we bring back Kendrick next season, Gia has a terrible arm and little to no range, never thought I'd see the day I'd miss Howie but here we are!

Expect the Dodgers will get to Howie first.

thats what i was reffering to. One of rhe more educated guys on her can answer better. Hope hes the answer here in 2 years or so. But for the life of me, and i think this was one of dipos worst decisions, i dont know why we blew our wad on him if we werent going to go all out and sign a few more with the rules in place. Bow we cant get any international FAs for like 3 more years?

I kind of got the impression that he was the only guy willing to sign with us. lol

I preferred Dipoto and would have kept him over Scioscia, but the players backed Sosh. If I had to bet I would bet that that was what actually caused Jerry to step down. He realized he crossed a line and he didn't have support from guys he actually brought in, like Albert. My understanding is Dipoto was difficult to work with, although I would have rather seen him stick it out until the end of the year and see if Arte was willing to make a change in manager at that time. If he wasn't then Jerry could resign at that time. I would have liked to see Jerry with one of his guys managing the team, but it's on him every bit as much as it is on Scioscia. Look at the roster, this isn't a Scioscia team. For all of you who think Scioscia is calling the shots, what are the chances he wanted limited skilled players that are all one dimensional?

maybe, but i think they have younger cheaper options. I think he gets replaced by guerrero. Howie doesnt strike me as the type of guy theyre after, as in, either bonafide superstar or young core to bridge the seager/pederson years.

Pederson isn't quite tearing it up anymore.

Baseball is all about being mediocre and getting lucky these days. Dominant teams can't win in the post season and young talent is locked up before free agency so it's tougher to buy wins anyway. This is not a particularly good Angels team, but look around the league, there are no good teams. 

The bolded part of your quote is a huge shame. The regular season should be more meaningful in baseball than it is in basketball or hockey. In those other sports there is is far less element of luck in any one game so a multi-round tournament is a reasonable way of identifying the best overall team instead of just the hottest.  

MLB should have never added the second wild card round, but now we are stuck with it as more owners feel they are in contention right up to the end which is likely better for attendance. If they must have a second wild card it, the format should be a best of three all at home park of the top seed. A coinflip game is an insult to teams that might be 6 or more games up on the second wild card team in the standings. Using 2-3 pitchers would also result in a greater disadvantage to the wild card team in the first round, therefore a greater advantage to having the best overall record. First round of the playoffs should be a best of 7 as well. 

Edited by ScottLux

I preferred Dipoto and would have kept him over Scioscia, but the players backed Sosh. If I had to bet I would bet that that was what actually caused Jerry to step down. He realized he crossed a line and he didn't have support from guys he actually brought in, like Albert. My understanding is Dipoto was difficult to work with, although I would have rather seen him stick it out until the end of the year and see if Arte was willing to make a change in manager at that time. If he wasn't then Jerry could resign at that time. I would have liked to see Jerry with one of his guys managing the team, but it's on him every bit as much as it is on Scioscia. Look at the roster, this isn't a Scioscia team. For all of you who think Scioscia is calling the shots, what are the chances he wanted limited skilled players that are all one dimensional?

good point. I think sosh would have pulled the trigger on parra, at least revere.

The bolded part of your quote is a huge shame. MLB should have never added the second wild card round, but now we are stuck with it as more owners feel they are in contention to get lucky. If they must have a second wild card it, the format should be a best of three all at home park of the top seed. A coinflip game is an insult to teams that might be 6 or more games up on the second wild card team in the standings. Using 2-3 pitchers would also result in a greater disadvantage to the wild card team in the first round, therefore a greater advantage to having the best overall record. First round of the playoffs should be a best of 7 as well. 

It's not just the second wild card. It's the 'competitive balance tax' it's revenue sharing, draft slotting, international spending allowances, sky rocketing team revenues, and risk averse young players making peanuts compared to free agent prices. 

This is the result of the leveling of the playing field and how the current system actively promotes losing and frugal spending. There are just so few great players reaching free agency these days. The ones that do are older, and as we have seen teams usually aren't getting the player they think they are when they sign them. If you want a super star you need to draft one, so teams are much more risk averse on trades now more than ever.

It's not just the second wild card. It's the 'competitive balance tax' it's revenue sharing, draft slotting, international spending allowances, sky rocketing team revenues, and risk averse young players making peanuts compared to free agent prices. 

This is the result of the leveling of the playing field and how the current system actively promotes losing and frugal spending. There are just so few great players reaching free agency these days. The ones that do are older, and as we have seen teams usually aren't getting the player they think they are when they sign them. If you want a super star you need to draft one, so teams are much more risk averse on trades now more than ever.

Agreed completely on the draft. I get having draft picks be based on reverse order of the standings, but the severe dropoff in slot bonus money basically amounts to naked promotion of tanking. It is outrageous that the team with the worst regular season record should get 17% more first round slot money than the second worst team, double the money of the fifth worst team, and quadruple the money of the 20th worst team. All of those teams are just as not in the playoffs as each other. Incentivizing blowing up the rosters and losing games with payment structures like this is just plain anti-competitive and has spoiled the entertainment value of the sport in places like Houston and Miami for much of the last decade.

I for one see nothing wrong with the Dodgers recent workaround strategy (that many in the media have pretended to be upset about) of taking on salary in trades in exchange for getting bundled compensation draft pics. The draft rules are what is outrageous. 

Edited by ScottLux

It was an OC article about trade of Howie Kendrick. Dipoto said it will hurt this year but benefit us for the future.

As fir Hamilton: they had to know it was going to hurt the team. However they probably felt they could get some salary relief. Which helps fir the future. When they didn't get the well was too poison to keep him.

You're right, this team is not optimized for Scioscia's skills.  Jerry left us with this mess.  I give more props to Scioscia for trying his best to make it work than I do to Jerry, who basically quit at a bad time.