• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout had the best month of his career

NrM

21 Games

.367/.462/.861 1.323 OPS 12 HR 24 RBI 20 Runs

To put that into perspective, Pujols has had only 1 month in his entire career with a better OPS.

Miguel Cabrera and Ken Griffey Jr. both never had an OPS equal to or better in a single month.

Over Trout's last 40 games he's hitting .360 with an OPS north of 1.200

Some other july stats.

Calhoun 

.320/.355/.560 .915 OPS

Pujols 

.224/.269/.439 .708 OPS

Edited by Poozy

I had the thought the other day that for most, even all of us, Trout will be the greatest Angel we will ever see play. He's certainly been the greatest so far, and players like him don't come along very often - certainly not to the same team.

So enjoy him, folks - he's almost certainly the greatest Angel we'll ever see.

I had the thought the other day that for most, even all of us, Trout will be the greatest Angel we will ever see play. He's certainly been the greatest so far, and players like him don't come along very often - certainly not to the same team.

So enjoy him, folks - he's almost certainly the greatest Angel we'll ever see.

obligatory ralston schmidt comment

What about his adjusted numbers? Id be interested to see where his season compares when adjusted to the steroid era

Trout already has accomplished pretty much everything a player can accomplish. At this point he's just adding to his numbers. The only thing he hasn't done is win a championship. Need to make that happen or he might go looking for it elsewhere.

obligatory ralston schmidt comment

What about his adjusted numbers? Id be interested to see where his season compares when adjusted to the steroid era

Go look at the "Neutralized Stats" tool near the end of this page.

But let's say Trout had played for the Angels in 2000. According to that tool, his career numbers would jump from .307/.397/.565 to .327/.420/.602. This year he'd be hitting .340/.432/.691. If he had played for the 2000 Rockies, his numbers this year adjust to .393/.489/.799.

I don't think it is really all that possible, but for gits and shiggles, here's where he is in the Triple Crown standings:

HR

1. 32

2. 30 (Pujols)

RBI

1. 73 (Donaldson/Teixeira)

7. 67

BA

1. .350 (Cabrera)

5. .317

The biggest challenge would be BA, but Cabrera will eventually lose qualification and after him it is Kipnis at .329, Fielder at .326, and Iglesias at .319. So it is dimly possible.

Edited by Angelsjunky

But let's say Trout had played for the Angels in 2000. According to that tool, his career numbers would jump from .307/.397/.565 to .327/.420/.602. This year he'd be hitting .340/.432/.691. If he had played for the 2000 Rockies, his numbers this year adjust to .393/.489/.799.

How does this stat work? Do they look at spray charts and pick which balls would have been hits in certain parks? I don't see how his numbers would spike in the steroid era? Is it taking into account the lower quality pitching back then or? It's interesting but I just don't understand it

I'm sure Pujols has told him to take care of his body, if you want to have a long career with great numbers batting wise stolen bases are too risky.

Accumulating a ton of stolen bases didn't seem to hurt Rickey Henderson, or that jackass who used to be player-manager for the Reds.

Also, if Trout were simply not stealing out of self perseveration that doesn't explain why his SB percentage goes way up on days when Pujols is not in the lineup batting immediately behind him, such as all of 2012, and the entire second half of 2013 ,(he got the majority of his steals for the season when Pujols was on the DL)

Edited by ScottLux

Trout is a big ass dude as well. Gotta figure it's probably more wear and tear on his body type than it is for Billy Hamilton, Dee Gordon etc when sliding into bases constantly. That and batting next to Pujols

Kind of disappointing tbh because he could have a legit shot at having a 40/40 season.

How does this stat work? Do they look at spray charts and pick which balls would have been hits in certain parks? I don't see how his numbers would spike in the steroid era? Is it taking into account the lower quality pitching back then or? It's interesting but I just don't understand it

If trout plays for the Rockies, we will be looking at 50-60 HR every year because there are so many deep fly balls he hit would've been HRs in Colorado. We would be looking at comparisons to Babe Ruth

Trout is a big ass dude as well. Gotta figure it's probably more wear and tear on his body type than it is for Billy Hamilton, Dee Gordon etc when sliding into bases constantly. That and batting next to Pujols

Kind of disappointing tbh because he could have a legit shot at having a 40/40 season.

I am totally fine with him only stealing like 15-20 per year. Remember Kemp after he had that 40-40 year, it was too much for his body

Thanks AJ, saw an article a few weeks back that was mentioning something similar.

Im not as up on stats as you, but would rhose colorado numbers be considered good?

Why has Trout stopped stealing bases? You had 40, 50 SB to those numbers and it looks like a video game character has infiltrated MLB. 

I think a few reasons: Pujols, he or Scioscia want him to save his body, and perhaps he's a fraction slower.

I think it is an algorithm based on different run contexts. It compares the average statistics as an Angel in 2015, which also includes playing half the games at Angels stadium, to his actual numbers in 2015, and then adjusts to average statistics in different contexts.

In a similar way that OPS+ of 100 is average, regardless of era. In the late 1960s that might have been .230/.280/.350, while in the late 90s it might have been .270/.340/.430. Both are average.

I haven't read it in depth, but BR has an explanation here: http://www.baseball-reference.com/about/equiv_stats.shtml

Thanks AJ, saw an article a few weeks back that was mentioning something similar.

Im not as up on stats as you, but would rhose colorado numbers be considered good?

Are you kidding? ;-)

Seriously though, Coors in the mid-90s to early-00s inflated stats to a ridiculous degree. I think the player who was most impacted by playing in Coors during that era must be Dante Bichette. Bichette had a career line of .299/.336/.499, playing 1018 of his 1704 games as a Rockie. His best season was 1995 when he hit .340/.364/.620 with 40 HR and 128 RBI, but only an OPS+ of 130 - a very good year, but not what those numbers would be today.

Bichette's career numbers neutralized to the 2014 Angels, his career line would be .267/.302/.446, with 1995 being .288/.311/.530 with 36 HR and 97 RBI.