• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is CJ done for the year?

I have no problems with him not retiring and collecting the money because presumably he got hurt on the job so why not collect the remainder of your contract. If he was hurt in his race car that would change my opinion. But what I really think will happen is he's thrown his last pitch and he will either sign a personal services contract or simply retire.

I'm not a huge CJ fan. I was really hoping he would get traded and he drives me nuts on the mound. Having said that, I hope an injury doesn't cost him his career. I hate injuries and have only wished them on 2 people (Kobe and now Hamilton). He's a good dude for the most part and I hope he's all right

There is zero chance he walks away from the money, nor should be. Why would he retire when he can simply rehab his arm, collect his money, and then decide whether to retire?

And it isn't an issue of integrity. He has earned the right to collect that money even if he can't pitch.

I think the Angels can collect the insurance money by keeping him on the DL permanently. I'm pretty sure that's what the Phillies are going to do with Matt Harrison. 

I doubt CJ has any money issues.

C.J. Wilson lhp
5 years/$77.5M (2012-16)

• 5 years/$77.5M (2012-16)
    • signed by LA Angels as a free agent 12/8/11
    • $2.5M signing bonus ($0.5M upon approval, $1M each on 7/1 in 2013, 2014)
    • 12:$10M, 13:$11M, 14:$16M, 15:$18M, 16:$20M
    • full no-trade protection in 2012-13
    • may block trades to 8 clubs annually in 2014-16
    • award bonuses: $0.15M for Cy Young
      ($75,000 for 2nd or 3rd in vote). $0.1M for WS MVP. $75,000 each for Gold Glove, LCS MVP. $50,000 for All-Star
    • perks: may purchase 8 Diamond Club seats for all Angel Stadium events and luxury suite for home games Wilson pitches (suite starts at $2,000 per game in 2012, with annual 5% increases thereafter)
  • 1 year/$7M (2011)
    • re-signed by Texas 1/18/11 (avoided arbitration)
    • $0.15M in performance bonuses
  • 1 year/$3.1M (2010)
    • re-signed by Texas 1/18/10 (avoided arbitration)
  • 1 year/$1.85M (2009)
    • re-signed by Texas 1/20/09 (avoided arbitration)
    • performance bonuses: $50,000 each for 45, 50, 55 games finished
  • 1 year/$417,460 (2008)
    • re-signed by Texas 2/08
  • 1 year/$391,043, re-signed 3/07
  • 1 year/$0.331M (2006), re-signed 2/06
  • 1 year (2005), contract purchased 6/05
  • drafted 2001 (5-141)
  • agent: Bob Garber
  • ML service: 9.055

He won't walk away. But their maybe a negotiated buy out.

Gil Meche did it -- 2011 maybe? He was going to miss the entire season with an injury and instead chose to retire. I know everyone likes to bag on Wilson but he's always been a little different, it wouldn't shock me to see him walk away and leave money on the table if he didn't feel he would be earning it.

I doubt CJ has any money issues.

So long as he doesn't invest 97% of his assets in a single software development start up company, or hire Don King as his personal money manager he should be fine

Edited by ScottLux

It's the salary cap that I should important. Freeing up 20 million would certainly help in free agency.

If he misses next season then the Angels will be able to collect insurance to cover a large part of his salary. The 20 mil still counts toward the tax level though.

CJ will once again have little to no trade value this winter if he doesn't pitch again this season due to injury.

There is zero chance he is traded. I guess if the Angels wanted to eat $15 mil of the $20 he is owed it is possible, but I don't see that happening.