• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is CJ done for the year?

Surprised there is little talk about this.

@pedromoura: C.J. Wilson’s MRI results are in, but the Angels are not announcing them. In an unusual practice, Wilson himself will announce them tomorrow

This was posted in the DL thread, but I'm surprised this hasn't led to any discussion.

Tommy John surgery? Something worse? Dude must be done for the season, right?

This is not like the usual Angels protocol.

If so, it reduces the starter dilemma by one.

Surprised there is little talk about this.

@pedromoura: C.J. Wilson’s MRI results are in, but the Angels are not announcing them. In an unusual practice, Wilson himself will announce them tomorrow

This was posted in the DL thread, but I'm surprised this hasn't led to any discussion.

Tommy John surgery? Something worse? Dude must be done for the season, right?

This is not like the usual Angels protocol.

If so, it reduces the starter dilemma by one.

CJ Wilson is a trippy dude, he seems pretty happy in his life away from MLB..   He's got outside interests -- it would not be shocking in the least that if injured he just wanted to hang them up....   He could race his cars, sell his Mazdas and do whatever he wanted whenever he wanted.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Isn't Skaggs on track to return in Sept?

Nope. Skaggs apparently wants to pitch this year and the Angels management has stood firm on the original recovery plan, which is to get him back in 2016. According to this Fletcher article they've said that if he pitches anywhere in 2015 it will only be Instructional League. Smart of the Angels not to rush him, IMHO.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/john-668003-tyler-pitch.html

Edited by AngelsSurfer

He's already had TJS in the past and has battled bone spurs in his pitching elbow on various different occasions. Hasn't he had fluid drained from his elbow multiple times as well? Sounds like it finally gave out again

If he needs TJS again, that may signal the end of his career tbh. At his age + having undergone the surgery twice....odds aren't great that he regains his form.

Would have been nice to have been able to move him in the offseason and free up some money but if he's getting TJS then obviously the Angels will have to pay him that full $20 million to rest and rehab all of next season

My thoughts are if he needs Tommy John he may just decide to retire.

I think this is what it is. All the CJ bashing will be over, and he will be gone. He does have all the racing and hair projects. I wish him the best. He's a good guy. Signed an auto last week for my younger daughter. Couldn't have been a nicer dude.

They could also just turn it into a personal services contract. He lives in the area and was raised here. He could be part of the organization.

It would be the right thing to do, but we know this org. They never get it right. Arte will probably bash him and find a way to sue him. Hope I'm wrong.

as in the very few other cases where a player retires while owed big money, i'll believe it when i see it.

If any player actually tried to retire while leaving money on the table in this day and age the MLBPA would plant a severed horse head on their mattress. 

Edited by ScottLux

If he does require TJ, he won't pitch at all next year. If I remember correctly, next year is his contract year. If it is indeed TJ, he's probably pitched his last game as an Angel. Very interesting that he's announcing his own MRI results, and I think that's a telling sign that he's done. I wish him the best, he seems like a really nice dude.

If any player actually tried to retire while leaving money on the table in this day and age the MLBPA would plant a severed horse head on their mattress. 

Gil Meche did it -- 2011 maybe?   He was going to miss the entire season with an injury and instead chose to retire.  I know everyone likes to bag on Wilson but he's always been a little different, it wouldn't shock me to see him walk away and leave money on the table if he didn't feel he would be earning it.

Gil Meche did it -- 2011 maybe? He was going to miss the entire season with an injury and instead chose to retire. I know everyone likes to bag on Wilson but he's always been a little different, it wouldn't shock me to see him walk away and leave money on the table if he didn't feel he would be earning it.

I remember that, Meche was a class act. I don't think CJ will retire if he has a second TJ, but I think he's pitched his last game as a Halo. I think he'll try and come back and sign a minor league contract to be a bullpen guy for someone willing to take a chance on him.

Then again, he did just buy a nice ass house in SoCal, so maybe he does retire and just focuses on racing and family.

Either way, he's a nice dude, and I wish him the best. I don't wish injury on anyone, and while he was frustrating to watch, he was a decent pitcher.

I wouldn't be surprised either way. Remember how upset he was at the team over the Josh Hamilton issue. He may want to make the team pay the money. Even if it is in insurance premiums. Retiring now he would forfeit almost 25% of his contract( almost 1 1/2 of five).but as mentioned he has always heard his own drummer. My guess is if he doesn't want to go through the surgery again He will say something like " going to shut it down and see if rest and rehab will heal it". If that's his approach we will see his true colors.

He may hang it up. His competitive fire is gone. He has never trusted his teammates to make a play behind him. He pitches scared in my eyes. Be interesting to see how many shut down innings he's had the last couple of years. Or how many of his losses came in games that he had the lead in. Hard to quantify these things but to me, he just hasn't passed the eyeball test. His B/S ratio has always been poor. His game coming out of the all star break against the redsox was one the best games I have ever seen anybody pitch. I think he had an 0-2 count on 12 hitters. Watching him have a game like that is why he pissed me off so much. He would occasionally have dominant innings but rarely full games. He had the ability but not the heart.

Let the Tropeano/Ruczinski era begin!