• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sending Salas to pitch in the 9th

Sending Salas to pitch in the 9th is something I'd do if I purposely wanted my team to lose. What was Scioscia thinking here?  There's no excuse with the division being so close. I think tonight's game was the toughest loss yet.

Who should be pitching the 9th inning of a tie game on the road?

Has Street even pitched this series? Might as well get him the work. Alvarez is just as bad. What about Rasmus? Dude was lights out last year. But Alvarez/Salas two days in a row should work. Ya, Scioscia, you're a moron

Rasmus, Gott.  Salas has proven he is terrible in close game situations.  Matter of fact, I'd even take Bedrosian over him. Bring him up and DFA Salas.  But first, I would've put Shoemaker out there one more inning the way he mowed throught the astros 1,2,3 in the 7th.  Then throw Smith out there in the 9th.  Still have to score runs though.

Rasmus, Gott.  Salas has proven he is terrible in close game situations.  Matter of fact, I'd even take Bedrosian over him. Bring him up and DFA Salas.  But first, I would've put Shoemaker out there one more inning the way he mowed throught the astros 1,2,3 in the 7th.  Then throw Smith out there in the 9th.  Still have to score runs though.

Yeah, this is pretty much it.  2nd and 3rd, one out and no runs scored.  Was that the only (or best) opportunity to score last night?

Rasmus, Gott. Salas has proven he is terrible in close game situations. Matter of fact, I'd even take Bedrosian over him. Bring him up and DFA Salas. But first, I would've put Shoemaker out there one more inning the way he mowed throught the astros 1,2,3 in the 7th. Then throw Smith out there in the 9th. Still have to score runs though.

At the time I would have given Shoemaker that chance to face at least one more batter, then go to Gott. Depending on pitch count either leave in Gott or go Smith in 9th. Edited by ScottLux

Speaking of Salas, I'd like to bring up:

Randal Grichuk .281/.335/.554/.889

Halos OF would have been set for 5+ years

Easily Dipoto's worst move. Worse than the Greinke trade. Worse than the Jeppy trade. Worse than the Blanton signing.

In the 8 previous appearances, Salas had allowed 2 hit, 0 walks and struck out 9. I'm sure if Gott had given up the home run the same posters would all be whining about Sosh putting the rookie into a tough spot. Whiners gonna whine.

Lets look more closely at those last appearances:

Appearance 1: Bottom of 8th, Up 8-1

Appearance 2: Bottom of 8th, Up 10-2

Appearance 3: Bottom of 9th, Up 7-3

Appearance 4: Top of 7th, Up 7-0

Appearance 5: Top of 6th, Up 4-2

Appearance 6: Top of 6th, Up 5-4

Appearance 7: Top of 7th, Up 8-4

Appearance 8: Bottom of 6th, Down 9-5

So as you can see only 2 of those games were closer than 2 runs and in those he pitched in the 6th inning. So basic stats don't really tell the whole story. If only Scioscia had those kind of advanced stats delivered to him by the front office, then maybe he wouldn't pitch Salas in high leverage situations.

Lets look more closely at those last appearances:

Appearance 1: Bottom of 8th, Up 8-1

Appearance 2: Bottom of 8th, Up 10-2

Appearance 3: Bottom of 9th, Up 7-3

Appearance 4: Top of 7th, Up 7-0

Appearance 5: Top of 6th, Up 4-2

Appearance 6: Top of 6th, Up 5-4

Appearance 7: Top of 7th, Up 8-4

Appearance 8: Bottom of 6th, Down 9-5

So as you can see only 2 of those games were closer than 2 runs and in those he pitched in the 6th inning. So basic stats don't really tell the whole story. If only Scioscia had those kind of advanced stats delivered to him by the front office, then maybe he wouldn't pitch Salas in high leverage situations.

This is pretty much my idea of how Salas should be used. Let him eat up a meaningless inning here and there.