• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers

SoWhat

Wait am I missing something here? I didn't realize how mediocre Gomez has been this season. Seems more like he's just a "name" right now without the production to match it. Dude's production is nowhere near what he's done in the past. Batting .260 with 8 HR, not even stealing bases

Guess what? His OPS+ is 105 this year. David Murphy's is 116

He WILL improve their OF defense, however. Astros now have a very good OF defensively

If we want to improve our lineup, catcher and second base are the obvious positions to look to upgrade. But improved bullpen depth is my number one priority and I hate the thought of us looking for a big bat just because other teams have made deals.

It wouldn't be such a big deal if Houston hadn't handed us our ass for the past two nights...

Yea, I get that. If we win tonight then we are tied and have a 60 game push to the end. You just have to ask yourself if them getting Gomez makes them better than us over the last 60 games. Sure we have lost five of six, but keep in mind we are in first place because the Astros lost like six in a row heading into the All Star break. We have been the much better team over the last month, they have gotten the better or us in the last two.

If we want to improve our lineup, catcher and second base are the obvious positions to look to upgrade. But improved bullpen depth is my number one priority and I hate the thought of us looking for a big bat just because other teams have made deals.

That's the kind of stuff that sets a team back.

Wait am I missing something here? I didn't realize how mediocre Gomez has been this season. Seems more like he's just a "name" right now without the production to match it. Dude's production is nowhere near what he's done in the past. Batting .260 with 8 HR, not even stealing bases

Guess what? His OPS+ is 105 this year. David Murphy's is 116

He WILL improve their OF defense, however. Astros now have a very good OF defensively

Exactly. Gomez is good but not great. Reading some reactions you'd think they just traded for Babe Ruth.

Stupid to make decisions based on what other teams do. That's how we ended up doing braindead things like trading for Vernon Wells.

Wells was an impact bat? You do know that there's much smarter people in the FO now than there was when the Wells trade went down, right?

If you can get a guy like Cespedes for a package headlined by a B level prospect like Ellis or Tropeano, you should do it, if not then pass.

I have no idea what kind of 2nd baseman or catcher might be available in a trade right now. I would have no issue upgrading there or at 3rd base. I can absolutely see us upgrading in the pen, and if I had to guess I would guess we will get Benoit.

And you won't find any 2B or C available to upgrade those positions. This isn't even about what the Astros are doing, the offense needs to be upgraded period

Gotta love that the Stros are going for it, and it could be that they still pick up some more pitching from the Pads (Kimbrel, Ross, Cashner) before it's all over.

They reportedly were in serious talks with SD, before the Mets decided to pass on Gomez, who they were ready to trade for before the Mets took him, then didn't take him.

My guess is the Stros aren't done.

I have no idea what kind of 2nd baseman or catcher might be available in a trade right now. I would have no issue upgrading there or at 3rd base. I can absolutely see us upgrading in the pen, and if I had to guess I would guess we will get Benoit.

2B market isn't weak. I think the Dodgers would listen to offers on Kendrick if we gave them a pitcher (would probably need to give them Giavotella too). But yeah, there's not much around.

And you won't find any 2B or C available to upgrade those positions. This isn't even about what the Astros are doing, the offense needs to be upgraded period

Iannetta has a .797 OPS since May 1st.   That's three months of pretty well above average offense from our primary catcher.