• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you trade Shoemaker for Price?

wopphil

If the Angels are serious I'd offer RHP Matt Shoemaker, C Jett Bandy, and LHP Nate Smith for LHP David Price, SS Dixon Machado, and C Alex Avila.

Avila as fallen off severely the last 2 seasons with the bat.

.218 last year in 140 games

.190 this year in 40 games.

Edited by Homebrewer

If the Angels are serious I'd offer RHP Matt Shoemaker, C Jett Bandy, and LHP Nate Smith for LHP David Price, SS Dixon Machado, and C Alex Avila.

Avila as fallen off severely the last 2 seasons with the bat.

.218 last year in 140 games

.190 this year in 40 games.

Yes his batting average has sucked but his ability to get on base specifically against RHP's is a very nice .365. He knows how to take a walk. Besides Perez is hitting .219 right now so it's not like it's a massive difference. The platoon of Avila and Iannetta would have more impact on the base paths right now. Perez will take over for Iannetta next year and he would act as catching depth in case one of them got hurt.

This is the kind of trade that would get auto rejected in a baseball video game.

A more constructive post delineating WHY you think that with justification would go a lot further than trolling the post.

Tigers get a lot of long term Major League ready control from the offer I'm suggesting. 5 years of Shoemaker, 6 years of Smith and 6 years of Bandy is nothing to sneeze at. They will lose Price and Avila at the end of this year.

Edited by ettin

See that is the thing about prospects. Their value hasn't been established yet in the Majors so it is easier to acquire them.

Norris has limited exposure in the Majors so his value was not as high as if he has been in the Majors for a couple of years (a la Shoemaker). The other two were pure prospects.

Veterans who have established track records just pull down more value because of the consistency in their performances. This trade deadline was about the most expensively priced deadline I can remember in terms of the prices paid for veteran players.

In a vacuum 5 1/2 years of Shoemaker for 1/2 year of Price is a no-brainer for the right team (right team being a team that already has a frontline starter but needs mid-rotation help). It wouldn't surprise me to find out that the Angels offered Shoe to the Tigers.

For the Tigers however I can understand a bit why they did it. Not only did they get Norris who has good upside, they also got Boyd. Many are looking at Boyd as back-end starter but he has experienced a significant velocity increase this year and his K%-BB% is quite good (like Shoemaker level actually). Essentially they picked up a potential Shoemaker candidate, minus the established track record and price, in addition to Norris.

The real winners of this trade deadline are the teams that traded away their veterans. In particular the Brewers and Reds got a lot better in the long term. I'm particularly impressed with Milwaukee's returns. Another team that has impressed me in the last few months is the Braves who have made some very sharp trades.

Don't get me wrong, the Astros and Blue Jays have significantly improved their teams and their odds of making the playoffs but they paid a big-time price for their future teams (2+ years out).

Edited by ettin

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know about the other two guys Detroit got in the trade, but if I were a GM I'd take Shoemaker over Norris in a heartbeat. I suspect many GMs would as well.

This post looked bad at the time, looks much worse two weeks later and is only going to continue to get worse the further time goes on, I'm afraid to say.

This post looked bad at the time, looks much worse two weeks later and is only going to continue to get worse the further time goes on, I'm afraid to say.

but then watch Shoemaker have a great season for some other team like Kazmir, Colon, etc after he's no longer with the Angels.

Edited by MikeScioscia4MVP