• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Newcomb and Puig

would love puig or cespedes...hopefully cesp is traded so there is no draft pick if thats the way angels go.  

its funny reading all the other boards out there...according to cinn fans or phil fans there are like two players even worth trading for on our team  trout and richards.     news networks and broadcasters also further this in that there is no one in the minors to get anything done....so victorino is all we are doing.

last year it was our minor league system was the worst by far...but if they counted what came from the minors on the big club and performing?   its just dumb.   maybe just a handful of teams had that kind of production from rookies.

i think they have to stay the course on the young cost controlled pitching and spend the money in our outfield.  

lets see how we do tues wed and thurs with the astros.     

So only a day after telling Puig he wouldn't be traded, USA Today reports the Dodgers have let other teams know that Puig is available.

Now I know almost all of you would never consider trading Newcomb, and for good reason. But Yasiel Puig, he's the time if return I'd want if I were shopping a pitcher of Newcomb's caliber. But clearly the Dodgers would need more than that, specifically, pitching.

So Newcomb, Tropeano and Bedrosian for Puig. I'd do it. Would you?

That would be plain stupid. You really need a long vacation If you think that is a reasonable trade for an erratic player with clubhouse and management issues.

Edited by notti

I love the talent but I still think we don't need it.

And is Puig really worth the hassle? I mean, what did we drop Hamilton for after all!

I say we stay as we are (maybe another cheap bench player) and sign Cespedes come the off-season.

Now there's a talent that could fill the gaps we need and wouldn't be a rental. Let him hit .250 for us with 25HR. Play a solid LF.

I also suspect some of the hatred toward him is based off the fact that he's a Dodger. I say get over it, they aren't our enemy, just a rival.

I don't think this is the case here.  My main red flag is we all can see the guy has a ton of talent and even his own org wants to jettison him.  The Dodgers are not headed by a bunch of meatheads - they are run by Friedman and use advanced stats.  They get to see him everyday and know what he is capable of on the field but rather him not be there.  Big warning. 

Makes perfect sense to me. The Angels have pitching depth, Puig is a superstar. We trade a future ace and future #3/4 starter as well as a projectable yet erratic reliever for one of the better young talents in the game.

Stupid is signing Josh Hamilton, stupid is giving Albert 10 years when he's already in his 30's, stupid is trading for Vernon Wells, stupid is letting Torii Hunter go. Stupid is acquiring Joe Blanton, and Tommy Hanson putting the success of the following season in their hands. Acquiring Yasiel Puig at age 24 on a team friendly deal is far from stupid.

Scotty, you generally come across as one of the more thoughtful and intelligent people on this board, but that trade is one of the dumbest suggestions I've seen on this board in a long time.

Made even worse by suggesting the reason people disagree with him is their hatred of the Dodgers.

It couldn't possibly be that others merely disagree with his opinion of Puig's value. The hatred of the Dodgers didn't cause everyone

to dislike the Kendrick for Heaney trade.

I hate the Dodgers but I'd take Ethier (for the right price), Kershaw (duh), Greinke, HK and Pederson in a heartbeat. 

Puig is a different animal. The guy is all about himself and is a cancer. He also is not as good as advertised. How many tools guys have been solid major league ball players in their career? 

Makes perfect sense to me. The Angels have pitching depth, Puig is a superstar. We trade a future ace and future #3/4 starter as well as a projectable yet erratic reliever for one of the better young talents in the game.

Stupid is signing Josh Hamilton, stupid is giving Albert 10 years when he's already in his 30's, stupid is trading for Vernon Wells, stupid is letting Torii Hunter go. Stupid is acquiring Joe Blanton, and Tommy Hanson putting the success of the following season in their hands. Acquiring Yasiel Puig at age 24 on a team friendly deal is far from stupid.

The bolded is where you are wrong. So very dead wrong and I have to wonder how you can be so far off. Superstars don't fall off three years in a row in their peak years. Flash in the pans do. Players with character problems do. Players that come off a steroid plan also fade quickly.

There are so many warning signs and if Puig really was a superstar the Dodgers wouldn't consider trading him because they have him for pennies on the Ethier dollar. But they are putting him on the block because they are finding he is unmanageable.

Stupid is tossing away three future MLB players (an ACE is worth a proven MLB player without problems) with high upsides for a head case that the Dodgers want to unload on another team that thinks they can fix him. Maybe he can be fixed but not for that kind of price. Puig is a buy low/damaged goods player.

Your other examples are just money already spent and one of the examples... is a Puig now in Rangers clothing. The Angels make plenty of money, making a cost controlled pitching staff is much more difficult. Your package is excessive and foolish.

This is the crux of it. I - and it sounds like many others - simply don't believe he is a superstar. Or perhaps anything close to one. His numbers have continually declined after a hot start - not exactly the first time that's happened in MLB history. He could end up having a good career. I also wouldn't be surprised if he's out of baseball entirely in 2-3 years. I wouldn't trade anyone of value for him, let alone two good SP prospects.

Edited by WallyWorld

I'll play devil's advocate here and say I see where Scotty is coming from. The package he suggested is almost certainly what it would actually take for the Angels to get Puig. The Dodgers don't have to trade him, so their asking price is going to be steep.

A top prospect, a potential 3-4 starter who is nowhere near a top prospect, and a reliever with upside who hasn't been able to put it together at the big league level is definitely a fair trade.

Would I want the Angels to do it? Personally, no I wouldn't. But that is almost certainly what it would cost.

Remember, we got Trop for a backup catcher. He's valuable as depth for the Angels, but probably wont hold as much value for the Dodgers. Bedrosian is a throw-in at this point.

Made even worse by suggesting the reason people disagree with him is their hatred of the Dodgers.

It couldn't possibly be that others merely disagree with his opinion of Puig's value. The hatred of the Dodgers didn't cause everyone

to dislike the Kendrick for Heaney trade.

I would not be opposed to the Angels buying low on Puig as a reclamation project. Because that is what he is, a problem that needs some work to solve. Not a highly valued player with a sterling resume. He is Jose Guillen redux. Lots of talent but a brain that is constantly on fire. That is not worth tossing three top prospects out there for. Not sure if it worth one and flotsam. Maybe it is worth Wilson and a couple of scrubs.

I don't think Puig is "done", but his decline is anything but encouraging at such a young age.  Maybe he can get past his injury bug and put his game back together, stranger things have happened.

Also as someone else mentioned, the Dodgers front office are run by some of the smartest and shrewdest guys in the game.  The fact that they are willing to move a guy with his talent on such a team-friendly contract should be the biggest red flag in this conversation.