• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Conor Gillaspie

@ Aznhockeyguy~

You mean Peter Bourjos and his -1.9 offensive War????

That trade was a deal of need for both clubs hoping each player would do better in a new environment. Also, Peter wouldn't have played Center here with Trout.

The off side was adding Grichuk for Salad.

-1.9 oWAR?  Link?  Baseball reference has it listed at .6 last season and .3 this season for oWAR.  And Bourjos wasn't the one I was upset about, it was Grichuk and while Salas is a solid reliever, solid relievers are a dime a dozen.

-1.9 oWAR?  Link?  Baseball reference has it listed at .6 last season and .3 this season for oWAR.  And Bourjos wasn't the one I was upset about, it was Grichuk and while Salas is a solid reliever, solid relievers are a dime a dozen.

Yeah, if it had been Freese for Bourjos, it would have made sense but adding Grichuk for a pretty average reliever in Salas was poorly conceived.  Now, the Cards are enjoying a .278 10 HR 34 RBI .326 OBP .877 OPS player who is young (23), athletic and under club control for a few years while the Angels got a couple of non-tender candidates. 

The funny thing is, Gordon Beckham came to the Angels, a contending team, and called it a needed change of scenery. He hit his way into their good graces and likely would've been our starting 2B this year.

Instead he chose to go back to Chicago, the same scenery he said needed up be changed, just to be in a platoon role with Gillaspie, for a basement dweller.

Now Gillaspie arrives with the Angels in very much the same scenario and chances, he'll be no tendered and go back Chicago.

God, bring Jerry back!

Yeah because Jerry never looked for any clean peanuts, right?   Like... we never had a cast-off merry go round in the pen and we never traded for Joyce, never signed Ibanez, never pitched Wall....    For those of you that are missing Jerry, he basically made this same move last year only he gave up Yency Almonte for 6 weeks of Gordon Beckham.

@ Aznhockeyguy~

You mean Peter Bourjos and his -1.9 offensive War????

That trade was a deal of need for both clubs hoping each player would do better in a new environment. Also, Peter wouldn't have played Center here with Trout.

The off side was adding Grichuk for Salad.

Where are you getting your numbers from?     The -1.9 of off listed at FGs is not oWAR.

Since June 14th:

.184/.226/.265

0 HR, 1 RBI

Sosh thinks he's had good swings, hard hit baseballs that aren't falling for hits right now, but they like what they see and they feel he's turning a corner Edited by nando714

Actually, the more I think on it, Gillaspie is likely Chris Nelson 2.0.

Hit .300 with fine defense for the Rockies. As displaced by an incoming rookie, the Angels got him for free, only to find out he isn't that good. They'll send him to AAA for a little while before he is DFA'd.

Actually, the more I think on it, Gillaspie is likely Chris Nelson 2.0.

Hit .300 with fine defense for the Rockies. As displaced by an incoming rookie, the Angels got him for free, only to find out he isn't that good. They'll send him to AAA for a little while before he is DFA'd.

He just needs to have balls bounce off him at 3B til Freese gets back.  The bonus is there is no concern about him putting added pressure on himself or risking him losing his confidence as there might be with a guy coming up from AAA.  The only reason this deal was made was out of pure opportunity.  He was there and they had nothing to lose.

Edited by Inside Pitch

We have up practically nothing for someone who has been decent at 3B before to fill a short-term void. Why the complaining? If we have a bunch of guys who can play 3B for the next couple of weeks, it increases the odds of one of them not sucking right. It also gives us another way to keep Joyce out of the lineup, by putting Gillaspie at 3B and Kubitza in LF. If he really sucks it hardly matters, not like we lost anything. But he's a decent but-low candidate to plug a short-term hole.

I can't imagine this in any way reduces their desire to find a new left fielder either.

We have up practically nothing for someone who has been decent at 3B before to fill a short-term void. Why the complaining? If we have a bunch of guys who can play 3B for the next couple of weeks, it increases the odds of one of them not sucking right. It also gives us another way to keep Joyce out of the lineup, by putting Gillaspie at 3B and Kubitza in LF. If he really sucks it hardly matters, not like we lost anything. But he's a decent but-low candidate to plug a short-term hole.

I can't imagine this in any way reduces their desire to find a new left fielder either.

This please. Anybody but Joyce in LF. ANYBODY.

When I read that we got this guy I assumed this is what a thread would look like. People on here will have issues with small deals because we have big needs. So like in other situations they assume the worst.

When I read that we got this guy I assumed this is what a thread would look like. People on here will have issues with small deals because we have big needs. So like in other situations they assume the worst.

I don't have a problem with it, not a bad stop gap type of thing, similar to Callaspo or Chris Johnson...but I'd still like to see the FO get us a capable LF'er....doesn't have to be Jay Bruce or Cespedes, but somebody who adds to the offense rather than subtracts...I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation....

Edited by DMVol