• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

So why keep Green at all?

hen3ry

The real question is, why did they even trade for him in the first place?

Because we mistakenly assumed that Beane knew some kind of good secret about him that meant he should be taken 12 positions ahead of Trout in the draft.

Grant Green is a perfect example of what happens to you when you don't hit enough to be considered DH material and don't have any semblance of a glove.   He's not been mismanaged by the Angels, he simply failed to deliver on the his promise years ago.   As Notti stated above, by the time the Angels got him he was a reclamation project.

That I get.   Why are they then holding on to him, instead of just letting him go so that he doesn't waste a spot on the 40 man roster?

That I get.   Why are they then holding on to him, instead of just letting him go so that he doesn't waste a spot on the 40 man roster?

Because they haven't had to get rid of him?   They have a AAA team that still needs to field a team.

I don't think Grant Green is a complete waste, I just think the general reaction to his lack of playing time is a bit over the top.  This isn't a guy that a team should alter it's plans for or view as a building block.  He's filler.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Then pay less attention to it AO, or alter your expectations. The team sees him as an insurance policy that they can run out at four different positions. Unfortunately, through no fault of the Angels, he can't play any of those positions at a high level.

Then pay less attention to it AO, or alter your expectations. The team sees him as an insurance policy that they can run out at four different positions. Unfortunately, through no fault of the Angels, he can't play any of those positions at a high level.

I do feel bad for Grant Green.  It seems like the team doesn't really have a long term plan for him, so he's become that guy they don't mind jerking back and forth between the minors and majors.  I believe he's capable of carrying his own weight if not more offensively, but that lack of a glove is killing him.

Green is not good...at all. Some of you act like he's this incredible talent being suppressed by Sosh. He sucks, and if he didn't suck he'd be playing. 

Green is not good...at all. Some of you act like he's this incredible talent being suppressed by Sosh. He sucks, and if he didn't suck he'd be playing.

Don't disagree but he's better than Matt Joyce, with the bat and glove....and Joyce is playing, a lot....I think that's some of the frustration....

I have no idea how good Green would be with regular starts but I'd like to find out. With Freese out he has to get some starts, right?

Right?

I agree with this.  Start him somewhere for an extended amount of time and see what he's got.  Does he play 3B?  BBR says he's got 5 games of experience.  Play him at LF, 2B, and 3B? for a number of games in a row and let's see.  Since Scioscia doesn't play him, he must know something about him.  Can't recall if he's ever been given the chance for an extended amount of time.

He was sent back down this afternoon. How many more times until he's out of options and they have to DFA him?

Poor guy.

I think players can be sent up and down numerous times during a year. Once the team can no longer send a player down, due to him being out of options, he has to clear waivers.  When is the player out of options?  After 3 years on the 40?  But as long as the team can send him to the minors, they can do it as much as they want.

Don't disagree but he's better than Matt Joyce, with the bat and glove....and Joyce is playing, a lot....I think that's some of the frustration....

Good point. Heck, I'd even have Navarro in LF over Joyce–It's truly mind boggling. 

I think players can be sent up and down numerous times during a year. Once the team can no longer send a player down, due to him being out of options, he has to clear waivers.  When is the player out of options?  After 3 years on the 40?  But as long as the team can send him to the minors, they can do it as much as they want.

A player can be optioned in three years and if I'm not mistaken this would be Green's final 'option' year.

The love some have for Grant Green is one of the most mysterious things Angels fans have ever done/expressed.  I'd rank it ahead of the mockery of Jeff DaVanon, the hatred of Buttercup, and buying anything with the Disney logo in the past five years.  

Actually, the Disney logo is a bigger mystery.