• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cron help

Torridd

Look at his numbers from last year, he hit. That version of Cron this year would be our fourth best hitter.

Well that is the fear I was alluding to in my post. He hit fairly well for a stretch last year, and for the most part has looked extremely overmatched this year, up until recently. I hope this isn't just a hot stretch buy symptomatic of a significant improvement.

Thanks Gamer! The kid hit in spring, so it showed he could hit. He sucked to start the season, and everyone asked what happened. Now he's hitting. It was possible. Why question a good thing?

"Does the walker choose the path or the path the walker?"

This quote has nothing to do with anything you or anyone else has said in this thread.

I'm fine with keeping Cron as a RH DH and getting Cron help, a LH DH platoon partner.

That also can take 2/3 to 3/4 of the starts in LF.    Hello Ethier? 

It is a type of path that Cron has taken that inexperienced players can go through.

He hit for the first half of 2014, then slumped terribly in the second half which carried over to the first half of 2015, and is now scalding the baseball.

Edited by Angel Oracle

This stretch has been great, but there have been other periods that have made us think 'Cron has arrived' only for it to come crashing down pretty badly not long after. His awful performance after that good stretch when he first came up last year, for example, or how he did so well in Spring Training and stunk it up at the start of the season. So while this is good to see, it's natural to have sustainability concerns.

He's streaky, but I'm not giving up on him—he's certainly not the answer to the lineup's deficiencies. We need someone with a high OBP, someone who can replace Howie's production.

Cron will be a productive power hitter. It's his first full season with the Angels with a swing happy approach, of course he'd struggle.

He's still going to be a .270/.310 hitter that'll hit 30 DB and 20 HR a year. That's more offensively valuable than anyone on the team not named Trout or Pujols. The only prospect or youngster we have that I think will have more offensive success in his career is Kubitza, who I think will hit .270/.350 with 45 DB 10 HR.

Yeah that's the funny thing about baseball and young players in general, it requires patience.

If we consider an exciting prospect is drafted at 18, even if things go right, they usually won't even make an appearance until 22, they won't experience considerable success until 24, and won't reach their full potential until 27. So you're waiting 4 years to see them in uniform, 6 until they're good, and typically 8+ before they may be stars.

That takes an investment on your part, to track these players and watch them grow. Cron is part of that. Drafted at 22, made an appearance 25, may not reach his potential until 27.