• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels interested in Jay Bruce

SoWhat

Simply saying look at his home and away Splits and that is the guy you get in Anaheim is an over simplication. The home field advantage comes mainly from knowing where you doubles or home runs are accessible from experience of 81 games a year in the same Park.

Both Calhoun and Pujols are playing significantly better at home this season than on the road.

Trout has been a total road warrior while Freese and Giavotella have been neutral.

There really is no tell in reading Splits because you really don't know what park will exactly fit a players comfort zone.

Agreed. Splits are important to note, but just about every player, especially power hitters, tailor their swing/approach to their home park. It makes sense because obviously you play far more games there than anywhere else.

It shouldnt be ignored, but it shouldnt be an end all.

I kind of like the idea of seeing if we can make a run on chapman. We dont need him...right now...but things could change. The downside is i doubt either him or street would be excited about splitting time. Street maybe a little more receptive because hes already locked up, chapman probably not so much because he has another deal in his future.

Simply saying look at his home and away Splits and that is the guy you get in Anaheim is an over simplication. The home field advantage comes mainly from knowing where you doubles or home runs are accessible from experience of 81 games a year in the same Park.

Both Calhoun and Pujols are playing significantly better at home this season than on the road.

Trout has been a total road warrior while Freese and Giavotella have been neutral.

There really is no tell in reading Splits because you really don't know what park will exactly fit a players comfort zone.

It is but it's a pretty good starting point. And I certainly wouldn't use half a season's worth of splits to make any kind of judgement. But when it's been several seasons and a string pattern emerges then it's pretty telling. Edited by eaterfan

Splits are a starting point, but they have to be taken into consideration with other factors.  I personally don't focus so much on the player's numbers as much as I do the park's tendencies over three year samples.   A park like Angel Stadium tends to impact HR totals for LHBs, it's the nature of an 18 foot tall RF wall.  Someone who hit's moonshots is going to have it impact them differently than a guy lacing LDs.  I think the trick is to avoid guys who's skill set may be in direct conflict with a park's tendencies more so that just looking at the home and away numbers and making a call because of those stats.   You look at Bruce's predictors and you see a guy with a pulled FB percentage of 49% .vs a league average of 38%.  His FB rate of 32% is similarly well above the league average of 19.1%.  There are things in his predictive stats that IMO are quite positive.  He's an interesting hitter.

To your point.... there have been studies done over the years that show players typically DO perform better at home -- so that has to be taken into consideration.   Some teams are known to have their own saber formulas designed to weigh against the typical boost that comes from playing at home in order to neutralize the effect -- not sure that the info at STATS Inc or at ESPN is doing the same.   But you are right in saying there are factors that need to be looked at beyond the simple home .vs away.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Agreed. Splits are important to note, but just about every player, especially power hitters, tailor their swing/approach to their home park. It makes sense because obviously you play far more games there than anywhere else.

It shouldnt be ignored, but it shouldnt be an end all.

I kind of like the idea of seeing if we can make a run on chapman. We dont need him...right now...but things could change. The downside is i doubt either him or street would be excited about splitting time. Street maybe a little more receptive because hes already locked up, chapman probably not so much because he has another deal in his future.

The mental factor too, some players feel more confident at home games.

You know who has a better career OPS+ than Bruce? Yup, Matthew Joyce.

They both made their MLB debut in 2008 and have pretty close numbers.

Anaheim is a pretty bad place to hit for lefties.

I don't know what it is, the rock pile, the high wall, but power lefties always struggle here.

I'm afraid Bruce would too.

You know who has a better career OPS+ than Bruce? Yup, Matthew Joyce.

They both made their MLB debut in 2008 and have pretty close numbers.

Anaheim is a pretty bad place to hit for lefties.

I don't know what it is, the rock pile, the high wall, but power lefties always struggle here.

I'm afraid Bruce would too.

this park kills lefties, no doubt. But even getting one that is a threat is a boost i think.