• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels interested in Jay Bruce

SoWhat

I'm still in the "I'll believe it when I see it" crowd when it comes to a deadline deal and Bill Stoneman....However, Bruce would seem less likely than others....you would assume the Reds want a very good prospect or young player in return....and we're not exactly loaded with either right now....I would think that, if we make a deal (again, count me as skeptical), it would more likely be for a veteran guy on the block to clear some payroll, not a high return type of deal....if you're scouting the Reds, that might be Marlon Byrd (not endorsing him, just sayin')....Stoneman was never afraid to spend money on FA's and trading for a high salaried veteran guy, maybe a relatively short term financial commitment, without giving up a lot in return, would better fit a Stoneman profile....not that there is much of a profile for Stoneman trades to go on....

Edited by DMVol

Jay Bruce would be a great option assuming:

1. Because he's owed so much he'd cost practically nothing in termsof prospects.

2. The knee problems are the true underlying issue behind his suckiness.

If this is the case, the Reds can get some payroll relief and the Angels could have the middle of the order bat they need.

The only way I make this deal though is if an in depth physical reveals he's either close to normal or he will be. Also, the Reds would need to be willing to accept a raw player with upside on return like Alcantara or Rhoades, that's it.

Edited by ScottyA_MWAH

I've been cracking the "Stoneman doesn't trade prospects" jokes too, but I do wonder if he learned his lesson after watching Wood, Kotchman and McPherson fail (or at least not reach potential). Guess we'll find out in the next week and a half.

Dunno...but I still think, if he does anything, it's more likely for a veteran guy owed some money who doesn't require a huge return....I'm not sure that fits Bruce, but maybe Scotty is right....I still think the smart bet is on "does nothing", particularly if the team continues to play well.....but, maybe he surprises all of us.....8 years of waiting for a deadline deal pretty well conditions you, however...

Edited by DMVol

Agreed, cant ever trust 2 first names.

Honestly though, the more i think about it, the more i kind of warm up to the idea. Theres always gonna be the move away from the nl thing with any player. But hed be an upgrade for sure. Not a star upgrade, but would definitely change the depth of our lineup.

If the price is right...

I'm still in the "I'll believe it when I see it" crowd when it comes to a deadline deal and Bill Stoneman....However, Bruce would seem less likely than others....you would assume the Reds want a very good prospect or young player in return....and we're not exactly loaded with either right now....I would think that, if we make a deal (again, count me as skeptical), it would more likely be for a veteran guy on the block to clear some payroll, not a high return type of deal....if you're scouting the Reds, that might be Marlon Byrd (not endorsing him, just sayin')....Stoneman was never afraid to spend money on FA's and trading for a high salaried veteran guy, maybe a relatively short term financial commitment, without giving up a lot in return, would better fit a Stoneman profile....not that there is much of a profile for Stoneman trades to go on....

I think you guys are too hung up on what Stoneman thinks.  Klentak will be the guy who initiates any trade, yes with a Stoneman nod yeah or naye, but Klentak is the guy behind the scenes here.  Dipoto didn't sit at his desk and and think up deals, Klentak was very involved, and he's a permanent GM candidate, here and elsewhere.  Don't you think he wouldn't love to make a mark on a positive side this deadline.  How he handles himself for the balance of this year will determine what happens to his career, maybe in a big way.  That's where the real influence on any deal will at least initiate.

Edited by tomsred

I think you guys are too hung up on what Stoneman thinks.  Klentak will be the guy who initiates any trade, yes with a Stoneman nod yeah or naye, but Klentak is the guy behind the scenes here.  Dipoto didn't sit at his desk and and think up deals, Klentak was very involved, and he's a permanent GM candidate, here and elsewhere.  Don't you think he wouldn't love to make a mark on a positive side this deadline.  How he handles himself for the balance of this year will determine what happens to his career, maybe in a big way.  That's where the real influence on any deal will at least initiate.

Don't disagree with a lot of that....certainly Klentak is the guy who has done and will do the leg work on any deal or deals....no way Stoneman could avoid leaning on Klentak (and others), given the circumstances.....But all that said, you have to assume that Stoneman has the final say....and, based on Stoneman's July history, we do nothing...that's not exactly up for debate...whether his "history" and obvious preference not to do deadline deals is the overriding factor or whether he would defer to Kletnak (and perhaps Servais and Morris) and go against his very clear July pattern, we'll see....I still think the smart money says "no deal"....But it's an unusual situation so none of us really know the full dynamics of the decision making process....

Downsides:

Minor:  Had an awful 2014.  That's looking like a one-off abberation due to nagging injury perhaps, but it's something to be concerned about

Significant:  Look at those home-road splits.  He's an OPS .913 guy at home (the Cincinatti launchpad) with 10 HR, and a .726 guy on the road, only 4 HR.

Anaheim is nowhere near as hitter friendly as Cincy, and I think we'd be getting the .723 guy as a result.