• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Orange County Register: Smith: What Angels player will be next to have his number retired?

Edgardo Alfonso is a lock!

Seriously, though, here are some guys:

Garret Anderson - .296 .327 .796 OPS 2,368 Hits 522 2B 287 HR 1365 RBI...played through the '95 collapse, the late 90's struggled against the Rangers, the breakthrough in '02 and was a part of their best division winning years. 

Troy Percival - 316 Saves 2.99 ERA 157 ERA+ 1.101 WHIP 10.49 K/9.  The "squint" was iconic in SoCal  and was the rock of the BP for a decade.

Jared Weaver - Through the end of his contract next year, he'll be with the Angels for 11 seasons and, so far, he's compiled a 135 - 77 3.36 ERA 120 ERA+ 1.157 WHIP 2.4 BB9 7.3 SO9.  We've seen him go from a fire-baller topping out at 97 MPH when he came up in '06 to a crafty vet touching 86-88 most nights.  Decline aside, he's had a great Angels career. 

Anyone else think maybe they should have had trout pick a different number (early on) so that they could retire vladdys numbetr some day?

no

I can see Salmon having his number retired, that's about it.

No love for Vlad in the thread so far? He was damn good here and his arrival I believe changed the course of this club. That was the moment we felt like a big market club, when he signed. He lived up to every bit of it too.

Salmon and GA are no-brainers though. That needs to get done soon enough.

I have no problem with Vlad getting in...he was here 6 seasons and was THE MOTO bat winnng an MVP in 2004.  Both Baylor and Knoop are in with 6 season and Carew, who made his biggest impact with the Twins, is in with 7 seasons.  During his Angels stint, Vlad hit .319 .381 OBP .931 OPS and help lead them to 5 AL West titles in those 6 seasons.

Anyone else think maybe they should have had trout pick a different number (early on) so that they could retire vladdys numbetr some day?

It might be possible to retire a jersey number on honor of multiple players. The Yankees have a few jerseys retired in honor of multiple people, most recently #42 again for both Jackie Robinson and Mariano Rivera.

Edited by ScottLux

Trout might be next.  If you retire Anderson's number, you have to retire Salmon's... and should probably do the same for Chuck Finley... and consider others.  That's too much, I think.  I think it should be Salmon or nobody.  Keep it exclusive.  Induct a bunch of guys into the Angels Hall of Fame, but keep the retired numbers to a select few.  

I always found it odd that they gave Trout #27.  

Reggie Jackson posted a 114 OPS+ for the Angels over five seasons... to go with... I'm guessing... crappy defense. Retiring his number or inducting him into the team hall of fame would be asinine.

Oh I'm not saying he should have his number retired. Aside from the 39 bombs he led the league with Thomas in 82, he was pretty crappy. 500th hr.

I just didn't like other players wearing it.