• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout v. Harper ed. 417: This might be sacrilege...

And let me preface this with, Trout is a phenom, I'm very grateful to be an Angel fan, and have such a tremendously talented player on our team, after pretty much decades of having mediocre players (Ryan and Vlad excluded.)  I love the guy.

However, on one of the pre-derby interviews last night, Trout came off a little bit douchy to me.    That Jersey/Philly guy was strong in him, and the way he spoke, I almost thought he was borderline Wigger.    Had I walked into the room, and heard him speaking, I would have asked who that douchebag was.  

Then, five minutes later, there was a lengthy sit down interview with Harper.   The guy was congratulatory of everyone, and took the spotlight off himself, and put it on his team, and other players.    He couldn't have appeared more humble, and perhaps he has been well coached by a PR or talent management team, but the guy didn't seem one bit the douche bag tag, people (including myself) have slapped on him.

Did anyone else notice this?   Oh well, their success, and the rise of other good young ballplayers is good for the game.  I think both players can be very similar to Dimaggio/Williams or Williams/Mantle, guys that just mash without there being this faux battle between the two.

And let me preface this with, Trout is a phenom, I'm very grateful to be an Angel fan, and have such a tremendously talented player on our team, after pretty much decades of having mediocre players (Ryan and Vlad excluded.)  I love the guy.

However, on one of the pre-derby interviews last night, Trout came off a little bit douchy to me.    That Jersey/Philly guy was strong in him, and the way he spoke, I almost thought he was borderline Wigger.    Had I walked into the room, and heard him speaking, I would have asked who that douchebag was.  

Then, five minutes later, there was a lengthy sit down interview with Harper.   The guy was congratulatory of everyone, and took the spotlight off himself, and put it on his team, and other players.    He couldn't have appeared more humble, and perhaps he has been well coached by a PR or talent management team, but the guy didn't seem one bit the douche bag tag, people (including myself) have slapped on him.

Did anyone else notice this?   Oh well, their success, and the rise of other good young ballplayers is good for the game.  I think both players can be very similar to Dimaggio/Williams or Williams/Mantle, guys that just mash without there being this faux battle between the two.

I think you are reading too much into. I hear what you are saying, but not everyone is on point all the time. The guy that impressed me was Joc Pederson. He seems like a really cool guy even though he is a dog. 

Great thread.

everyone is quick to jump on the Trout is the greatest train, and definitely Harper is the biggest douche bag ever.    Perhaps Harper is the victim (and benefactor) in his youth, and being pushed through the system.

Look at how Marinovich folded under that kind of upbringing and pressure.    Harper is handling it quite well.    I'm not so hung up on Trout speaking into a mic, as I was impressed at Harper's ability to come off well in an interview, something I wouldn't have given him credit for doing before. 

Trout has never been a good interview. He is often tongue tied when he isn't reading off of Nukes notepad on how to talk to the media. His actions on and off the field says he isn't the douche you want to portray him as.

I think both players are good guys off the field and are great with fans. Harper gets a bad rap because he lets his passion/competitiveness get the best of him at times. He slams his bat or throws his helmet in anger after he strikes out, etc and has been ejected for arguing with umps. Trout does a good job of keeping his emotions in check on the field

As a Carolina Panthers fan this Trout vs Harper thing is a lot like Cam vs Luck for me. The media has chosen Cam and Harper to play the villans while Luck and Trout play the hero.

I've never gotten the douche vibe from Trout before and just seeing the amount of time he spends before each game signing autographs and stuff that he isn't obligated to do speaks about the kind of person he is imo.

Other than MLB Network I really don't watch any of the major sports outlet networks anymore unless watching an actual game. Most of these media guys are reaching for storylines that aren't there. I've never had an issue with Harper and any interview I've seen with him he always comes across as your typically 22 year old kid

AO, you given Pete Reiser more press than he ever got as a player. Time to let it go.

If Harper takes heed, my work is done here.

And Reiser had borderline HOF talent (according to some who played against him) if not for the many fence collisions, not exactly someone that the press likely ignored back then. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

I think pretty much anyone that talks like a person from Jersey (or boston or new york) is basically no matter what going to sound like a douche, another way that life is unfair. Aside from the horrific jersey vocal tones, there is no other evidence of douchedom, thus imo there is no reason to suspect actual doucheness in Trout.  That all said, as long as he's not doing things illegal so he cant play baseball I have no shits to give about whether he's a cool dude or not (again, no reason to suspect he's not).  He's awesome at the beisbol thats pretty much all that matters.